Americans. Are you proud of your history?

No, but nothing is perfect. However, what people considered as negatives were largely normal and accepted at the time. We were no worse than any other developing nation, and better than most.

History is written by the victors on this rock, always has been,always will be

That said, the real Q might be better worded as, are you proud for what America stands for V. proud of it's history aspiring to it

~S~

i mean every bit of it. What historic blunders do you regret? What historic achievement are you most proud of as an American?

I'm deeply proud of this country, and I really hope that offends you deeply.
What motivates you to offend? Was that the way you were raised? Did you learn that in church?
The American people are great. Too bad their politicians and imperial government are so awful.

i mean every bit of it. What historic blunders do you regret? What historic achievement are you most proud of as an American?

My primary regret is that somehow America managed over its short period of existence to produce a sizable number of morons diametrically opposed to the foundational principles upon which the nation was founded.

One would normally consider that such a force would be foreign in origin. Perhaps Lincoln was a little hasty in "binding up the nation's wounds" in 1865. The descendants of those Democrats are about to light the fires again.

Last edited:
I'm tasked with developing courses in American History, World Cultures and Government. I'm going to tell the good and the bad. We are special for what we aspire to and shitheads for what we sometimes allow ourselves to do. How to do research and sifting fact from bias will be the most important things I teach, much more than the year Eli Whitney patented the cotton gin.

I'm tasked with developing courses in American History, World Cultures and Government. I'm going to tell the good and the bad. We are special for what we aspire to and shitheads for what we sometimes allow ourselves to do. How to do research and sifting fact from bias will be the most important things I teach, much more than the year Eli Whitney patented the cotton gin.

A lot of the past can't be judged by today's standards. It just isn't the same world. If you do that, you are doing a huge disservice to your students. You can consider a practice wrong today, but in context of the people and times accepted then.

I think America is great, and would never want to live in another country, but people get too defensive when you bring up the shitty things we have done. Our country was actually built by doing shitty things to other people. Every country was. It's the very nature of conquest.

A lot of the past can't be judged by today's standards. It just isn't the same world. If you do that, you are doing a huge disservice to your students. You can consider a practice wrong today, but in context of the people and times accepted then.
That's not how I teach. I lay out the facts and then if they want, we have a conversation about it.

Very proud and thankful of the OPPORTUNITY this country offers those who are willing to WORK for what they want.

Warts and all.

iu

That's not how I teach. I lay out the facts and then if they want, we have a conversation about it.

Do you talk about the differences in society, and people when you talk about Columbus, the American Indians, and Blacks/Slavery?

Im i supposed to show remorse for slavery or wiping out and resettling the red drunk savages ?

wasnt me

we'll sell ya back the Louisiana purchase we got from the frogs for 50% above current market value and a 199 year 25% royalty on all natural recourses sold in/from the territory

cash only
most lefttards are broke broken down valise's
No, but could you at least manage to be embarrassed by your racism?
what racism ya filthy ****** **** **** HICK
You cannot really be that oblivious.

You can lay out all the facts you like, but if they are not viewed within the context of their times but instead filtered through 21st Century mores, whether by you or your students, a false picture results.

My primary regret is that somehow America managed over its short period of existence to produce a sizable number of morons diametrically opposed to the foundational principles upon which the nation was founded.

One would normally consider that such a force would be foreign in origin. Perhaps Lincoln was a little hasty in "binding up the nation's wounds" in 1865. The descendants of those Democrats are about to light the fires again.
Perhaps you have forgotten the contentious debate and argument the constitution required in order to be upheld, respected and revered. Even the Bill of Rights was wrought from heated debate.

If you do the math, it takes more than one point of view, one idea, and ultimately one voice. That's unacceptable.

Perhaps you have forgotten the contentious debate and argument the constitution required in order to be upheld, respected and revered. Even the Bill of Rights was wrought from heated debate.

If you do the math, it takes more than one point of view, one idea, and ultimately one voice. That's unacceptable.

Indeed. All true. But those decisions were made and codified. Any changes require amendments reached through the mandated process, not political opinion or judicial fiat.

Show me the man today that has the courage or resourcefulness of a Daniel Boone or Kit Carson. There are no more men with the abilities of a Lewis Wetzel. Tough men. Men that could build a great nation. Now we have pajama boys who worry about how toxic their masculinity is.
people who explore space have way more courage...

You can lay out all the facts you like, but if they are not viewed within the context of their times but instead filtered through 21st Century mores, whether by you or your students, a false picture results.
I'm not making excuses for slavery or for the Native Americans who warred with the invaders from Europe. We are humans, and we have been finding reasons to kill each other and treat each other like shit since we dropped out of the trees.
I do want to remind you that there were quite a few people in this country who back in the day did NOT agree with slavery. Even then. It's interesting that this is the first thing you worry about me getting "wrong." I am a lot more clear eyed and able to share both sides of a story than you think.

When you use the term, "make excuses" you are showing your bias in judging people for the past using your current feelings.

When you use the term, "make excuses" you are showing your bias in judging people for the past using your current feelings.
No, Pilot. I am judging YOU. Now fuck off. I know how to teach.

Forum List

Back