American opinions on Canada

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Blackened, Jun 11, 2006.

1. Blackened

Blackened Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In America how is Canada portrayed? Is Canada a joke in America? Do many Americans hate Canadians? I'm just wondering because in my part of Canada many just believe Americans think we are their retarded neighbours.

2. Abbey Normal

Abbey Normal Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Welcome, Blackened. :)

This might be moved to the Canada forum, so be on the lookout for that.

3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I've yet to meet a Canadian I didn't like, quite a lot for that matter. I think much of Canada has appeared a bit liberal for my taste, but the new government seems good.

I've never known Canada to be made fun of, well other than people saying we'll invade them! Which is just a joke, of course. :laugh:

4. 1549

1549 Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Well, we are not fond of the way you spell neighbor.

Nah, I am just kidding. Anybody who thinks the things you mentioned is just being ignorant. Most Americans have no problems with Canada or its residents.

Sometimes we poke fun a the way you guys say "eh"...get an American in the right mood an he also will jokingly refer to Canadians as 'canucks'.

Overall, we are down with Canada. I plan to take a trip up there sometime, I have heard it is beautiful.

5. insein

insein Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +356
    Canada is fine. The government is a little loopy but things do work themselves out over time. Canada is a great ally to the US.

6. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I considered that, but since the question is directed to Americans, what the heck.

7. Abbey Normal

Abbey Normal Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +391
    I just didn't want a new member to think we had deleted his first post. :)

8. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I agree! :laugh: Gee, I'm trying to be nice tonight! I think I'll probably make it, as I'm heading off to bed. Just trying to see how psycho is going to enlighten us this evening. :smoke:

9. Gem

Gem BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +782
    As someone with numerous Canadian friends in Vancouver and Regina I will fess up to throwing quite a few Canadian jokes their way.

For me, the jokes against or about Canadia (hehe, just kidding) are more from the realm of the playful kidding of two good friends. They may not always agree, but they know that when it really comes down to it - they are friends and will back eachother up.

No - people down here don't think Canadians are stupid. We do think you occassionally sound funny when you talk. And yes, many Americans do giggle when you say "aboot." We can't help it.

On the other hand - we are intensely jealous of your beer. Which makes ours look and taste like dirty water.

One of the biggest compliment I can give my friends from the North is that they are some of the only people I have ever met who can hold completely different political views than me - but are willing and able to discuss the issue civilly and with good information and arguments to back them up. They don't throw insults, and they are generally very interested in learning more about the oppossing viewpoint. Maybe that has something to do with the numerous political parties you have in Canada? It makes you more open to a variety of opinions/ideas - rathen than just one or the other?

10. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    and chocolate, Tracy says the chocolate rules!