American opinions on Canada

Blackened

Rookie
Jun 11, 2006
In America how is Canada portrayed? Is Canada a joke in America? Do many Americans hate Canadians? I'm just wondering because in my part of Canada many just believe Americans think we are their retarded neighbours.

Blackened said:
In America how is Canada portrayed? Is Canada a joke in America? Do many Americans hate Canadians? I'm just wondering because in my part of Canada many just believe Americans think we are their retarded neighbours.

I've yet to meet a Canadian I didn't like, quite a lot for that matter. I think much of Canada has appeared a bit liberal for my taste, but the new government seems good.

I've never known Canada to be made fun of, well other than people saying we'll invade them! Which is just a joke, of course. :laugh:

Blackened said:

Well, we are not fond of the way you spell neighbor.

Nah, I am just kidding. Anybody who thinks the things you mentioned is just being ignorant. Most Americans have no problems with Canada or its residents.

Sometimes we poke fun a the way you guys say "eh"...get an American in the right mood an he also will jokingly refer to Canadians as 'canucks'.

Overall, we are down with Canada. I plan to take a trip up there sometime, I have heard it is beautiful.

Abbey Normal said:
Welcome, Blackened. :)

This might be moved to the Canada forum, so be on the lookout for that.
I considered that, but since the question is directed to Americans, what the heck.

Abbey Normal said:
I just didn't want a new member to think we had deleted his first post. :)

I agree! :laugh: Gee, I'm trying to be nice tonight! I think I'll probably make it, as I'm heading off to bed. Just trying to see how psycho is going to enlighten us this evening. :smoke:

As someone with numerous Canadian friends in Vancouver and Regina I will fess up to throwing quite a few Canadian jokes their way.

For me, the jokes against or about Canadia (hehe, just kidding) are more from the realm of the playful kidding of two good friends. They may not always agree, but they know that when it really comes down to it - they are friends and will back eachother up.

No - people down here don't think Canadians are stupid. We do think you occassionally sound funny when you talk. And yes, many Americans do giggle when you say "aboot." We can't help it.

On the other hand - we are intensely jealous of your beer. Which makes ours look and taste like dirty water.

One of the biggest compliment I can give my friends from the North is that they are some of the only people I have ever met who can hold completely different political views than me - but are willing and able to discuss the issue civilly and with good information and arguments to back them up. They don't throw insults, and they are generally very interested in learning more about the oppossing viewpoint. Maybe that has something to do with the numerous political parties you have in Canada? It makes you more open to a variety of opinions/ideas - rathen than just one or the other?

Gem said:
As someone with numerous Canadian friends in Vancouver and Regina I will fess up to throwing quite a few Canadian jokes their way.

For me, the jokes against or about Canadia (hehe, just kidding) are more from the realm of the playful kidding of two good friends. They may not always agree, but they know that when it really comes down to it - they are friends and will back eachother up.

No - people down here don't think Canadians are stupid. We do think you occassionally sound funny when you talk. And yes, many Americans do giggle when you say "aboot." We can't help it.

On the other hand - we are intensely jealous of your beer. Which makes ours look and taste like dirty water.

One of the biggest compliment I can give my friends from the North is that they are some of the only people I have ever met who can hold completely different political views than me - but are willing and able to discuss the issue civilly and with good information and arguments to back them up. They don't throw insults, and they are generally very interested in learning more about the oppossing viewpoint. Maybe that has something to do with the numerous political parties you have in Canada? It makes you more open to a variety of opinions/ideas - rathen than just one or the other?
and chocolate, Tracy says the chocolate rules!

Gem said:

Not to go off-topic, but Sam Adams is a great (American) beer. As the Bottle says: Sam Adams- "brewer and patriot".

luxury-sam-adams.jpg

Blackened said:
Canada is "America Jr.!" :D

I have nothing to really say against Canada but not a whole lot for it either. I like the fishing up there, but that's about it. I guess Canada has no real attraction to me, maybe because I live close enough (Anoka, MN) to not really be intrigued.

But hey, the fishing's GREAT! I caught my first 'keeper' walleye up there, and the crappies are huge-and delicious!

I don't know much about it.

I was in love once with a girl from canada; she broke my heart.

I still don't know much about canada. It seems like it'd be cool.

I think a lot of it starts off as good natured ribbing, but eventually somebody on one end or the other takes it seriously and it grows from there.

In the U.S., geographical rivalries seem to be part of our DNA. One side of Dallas makes fun of the other side of Dallas, Dallas make fun of Fort Worth, Dallas/Fort Worth makes fun of Houston, Texas makes fun of Oklahoma, the South makes fun of the North, the U.S. makes fun of Canada...

Personally, I don't have a problem with Canada. It's clean, which is more than I can say for most larger cities in the U.S., expecially Houston. :banana:

I think that looking at Canada not only means looking north... it also means looking into the future.

Abolition of Slavery - Canada West 1833, US 1865
Women's Right to Vote - Canada 1917, US 1920
Canadian Bill of Rights, 1960; US Civil Rights Act, 1964

The list could go on and on... but to me, Canada represents what the United States will become all in due time.

jasendorf said:
I think that looking at Canada not only means looking north... it also means looking into the future.

Abolition of Slavery - Canada West 1833, US 1865
Women's Right to Vote - Canada 1917, US 1920
Canadian Bill of Rights, 1960; US Civil Rights Act, 1964

The list could go on and on... but to me, Canada represents what the United States will become all in due time.

the only thing I don't want is their socialized medicine. Even with our f-ed up system here, I prefer to be able to get care when I need it. Many Canadians come here to get treatment rather than be on their country's waiting list. I know our Mayo Clinic is getting more and more Canadian patients every day.

I think you Canadians are ultra liberal. Isn't the consentual sex age up there like 13? And isn't queer marriage legal? And aren't you guys always on America's ass about the things WE do? If you're looking for a warm and fuzzy opinion, I'm not going to give you one, because you people up there are all too critical of us. What for, I don't know. If it wasn't for us, you people would be in a world of hurt.

Jimmyeatworld said:
I think a lot of it starts off as good natured ribbing, but eventually somebody on one end or the other takes it seriously and it grows from there.

In the U.S., geographical rivalries seem to be part of our DNA. One side of Dallas makes fun of the other side of Dallas, Dallas make fun of Fort Worth, Dallas/Fort Worth makes fun of Houston, Texas makes fun of Oklahoma, the South makes fun of the North, the U.S. makes fun of Canada...

Personally, I don't have a problem with Canada. It's clean, which is more than I can say for most larger cities in the U.S., expecially Houston. :banana:

Next time you get around to it, tell me which is the larger city: Houston or Dallas.

:D

(BTW, I'm a native Texan and native Houstonian.)

Forum List

Back