Corporate American Ideology Will Be Defeated

Psychoblues said:
Corporations are just not "people friendly".

Or didn't you know?

Psychoblues

Corporations are not people at all, a corporation is a business entity. That business entity exsists for one purpose, to make a profit.

MtnBiker said:
Corporations are not people at all, a corporation is a business entity. That business entity exsists for one purpose, to make a profit.
Where else can one person say nothing so often? :dunno:

MtnBiker said:
And profits are people friendly, thus: The purpose of corporations is a people friendly purpose.

LOki said:
And profits are people friendly, thus: The purpose of corporations is a people friendly purpose.

Profit is good up to the point it exploits. At that point, it becomes bad. Hence, as long as a corporation is run by people with consciences... corporations are people friendly.

You neocon cluckers need to check yourselves. Business should take place inside some sort of moral framework. Do you moral christians really believe there should be no moral contraints on business whatsoever? Is it fine that we encourage china's totalitarianism by buying all their crap? Is it really?

rtwngAvngr said:
You neocon cluckers need to check yourselves. Business should take place inside some sort of moral framework. Do you moral christians really believe there should be no moral contraints on business whatsoever? Is it fine that we encourage china's totalitarianism by buying all their crap? Is it really?

So whats the plan? Want the government to legislate morality to corporations? If you don't like corporations dealing with China or any other regime, then don't give them your business. Its called capitalism, the power is in the hands of the consumer, not the government.

theHawk said:
So whats the plan? Want the government to legislate morality to corporations? If you don't like corporations dealing with China or any other regime, then don't give them your business. Its called capitalism, the power is in the hands of the consumer, not the government.

Cut all trade with china until they become more free. Why is this an apparently new idea for you? Did we trade with the USSR during the cold war? You're brainwashed.

jasendorf said:
Profit is good up to the point it exploits. At that point, it becomes bad. Hence, as long as a corporation is run by people with consciences... corporations are people friendly.
Exploitation comes from the coercive use of force, not profits. Coercive force comes from governments.

LOki said:
This is really a naive attitude. There is a place for limits on corporate power. They are NOT inherently moral in how they derive profits for owners.

rtwngAvngr said:
This is really a naive attitude.
According to your baseless opinion. :thup:

rtwngAvngr said:
There is a place for limits on corporate power.
There is--that limit is coercive force.

rtwngAvngr said:
They are NOT inherently moral in how they derive profits for owners.
Yet your regulators are inherently moral? So much so that they should determine the details of corporate conduct?

rtwngAvngr said:
This is really a naive attitude. There is a place for limits on corporate power. They are NOT inherently moral in how they derive profits for owners.

Nor are they inherently immoral. They make choices based on what will maximize profits. Consumers make choices based on many decisions, one of which is usually what will save them money, and one of which may be morality-based. But the consumers of the market, not the government, are the ones who make the best moral judgements.

5stringJeff said:
Nor are they inherently immoral. They make choices based on what will maximize profits. Consumers make choices based on many decisions, one of which is usually what will save them money, and one of which may be morality-based. But the consumers of the market, not the government, are the ones who make the best moral judgements.

So should we go ahead and import products made with child or slave labor and then let the consumer decide if he wants to buy it or not?

How about child prostitution? Or using children to sell drugs? should all that be legal and just let the market decide if it's right or wrong?

rtwngAvngr said:
So should we go ahead and import products made with child or slave labor and then let the consumer decide if he wants to buy it or not?
Slavery is a wrong on basis that it is coercive--that it is not free-market. Punishing slavery is appropriate, while punishing the free-market is not.

There's nothing wrong with children working. I have been employed (at least part-time) since I was 10; and before then, I made my spending money cutting lawns and by collecting and selling live bait. So as far as children working is concerned, I don't think we should take punitive action.

LOki said:
Slavery is a wrong on basis that it is coercive--that it is not free-market. Punishing slavery is appropriate, while punishing the free-market is not.

There's nothing wrong with children working. I have been employed (at least part-time) since I was 10; and before then, I made my spending money cutting lawns and by collecting and selling live bait. So as far as children working is concerned, I don't think we should take punitive action.

I think you're mixing the apples-n-oranges again. I did the yard-mowing, car-waxing, paper route thing myself, but it was of my own accord.

Asian children have no choice but start hustling at an early age, or work in sweatshops. I can't agree that they are the same thing.

The alternative to sweatshop work is often much worse. During the initial years of the industrial revolution, people were thrilled to get jobs for their children, as opposed to letting them lay around the slums, nearly starving to death.

Forum List

Back