American Colleges No More than PC Indoctrination Centers

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
If done correctly, practically any topic can be a learning experience. I don't know if those titles are real or not but all could be a form of critical thinking, or other. The real question, if those titles are real, is why? Are colleges and universities now getting students, in their quest for a good job, need titles that lure? Is so higher- learning now changing the old curriculum to a different type, or are they using catchy titles, hoping to lure students into classes that teach the same stuff they've taught for years?

If done correctly, practically any topic can be a learning experience. I don't know if those titles are real or not but all could be a form of critical thinking, or other. The real question, if those titles are real, is why? Are colleges and universities now getting students, in their quest for a good job, need titles that lure? Is so higher- learning now changing the old curriculum to a different type, or are they using catchy titles, hoping to lure students into classes that teach the same stuff they've taught for years?

I have seen some pretty lame excuses for things but this has to earn a huge, blue ribbon!!!!!!

As you on the staff of a college or university? This sure reads like you are.

I have seen some pretty lame excuses for things but this has to earn a huge, blue ribbon!!!!!!

As you on the staff of a college or university? This sure reads like you are.
Nope, if I was on the staff of a university I would first ask for evidence of your titles. My point is that higher education may be changing to job training; if so, and these titles were real, is that evidence of the educational change?

Do YOU know what you are paying to have your child taught? Are they attending classes like these:

-“What If Harry Potter Is Real?

-“Lady Gaga and the Sociology of Fame

-“Philosophy And Star Trek

-“Learning From YouTube

-“How To Watch Television

-“Oh, Look, a Chicken!

No wonder so many “graduate from college” but are still as dumb as rocks.

Read more @ America 8217 s Colleges Have Become Political Correctness Indoctrination Centers
I clicked on a few of them and they all seem to be classes that teach critical thinking skills.

Something you could do with.

:thup:

Do YOU know what you are paying to have your child taught? Are they attending classes like these:

-“Learning From YouTube

-“Oh, Look, a Chicken!

Read more @ America 8217 s Colleges Have Become Political Correctness Indoctrination Centers
I clicked on a few of them and they all seem to be classes that teach critical thinking skills.

How much critical thinking you need to pour a tall mocha latte?

The easiest course I took in 5.5 years of schooling was a Fantasy and Sci-fi Class, and it was because I had to take one elective from the English Department.

-“Learning From YouTube

-“Oh, Look, a Chicken!

The easiest course I took in 5.5 years of schooling was a Fantasy and Sci-fi Class, and it was because I had to take one elective from the English Department.
If you learn how to think critically, more than likely you will not end up pouring mocha lattes.

You see no value in critical thinking?

-“Learning From YouTube

-“Oh, Look, a Chicken!

If you learn how to think critically, more than likely you will not end up pouring mocha lattes.

You can learn critical thinking from a course in Thermodynamics, basic accounting, or differential equations, just as easily, and you can have a real job afterwards, depending on the degree.

These reek of "general studies" courses, which are basically filler for the "I want to go to college but not go to college crowd"

-“Learning From YouTube

-“Oh, Look, a Chicken!

You can learn critical thinking from a course in Thermodynamics, basic accounting, or differential equations, just as easily, and you can have a real job afterwards, depending on the degree.

These reek of "general studies" courses, which are basically filler for the "I want to go to college but not go to college crowd"
I think you are focusing narrowly on small aspects of critical thinking. And the vast majority of students don't take courses in thermodynamics, basic accounting, or differential equations. Though basic accounting would be a good requirement for general education.

-“Learning From YouTube

-“Oh, Look, a Chicken!

I think you are focusing narrowly on small aspects of critical thinking. And the vast majority of students don't take courses in thermodynamics, basic accounting, or differential equations. Though basic accounting would be a good requirement for general education.

I am focusing on what employers want from a graduate. 70 years ago a "soft" degree in liberal arts was rooted in the classics, and was a tough, rigorous course of study. It's why business hired people with these degrees for management roles even though knowing the in's and outs of Plato and Aristotle doesn't directly apply to the workings of say a steel mill.

A degree based on these classes today does not impress employers, who have seen the effect of watered down curricula and artificially boosted grades. Its why Engineering students can easily find jobs outside of engineering (less than half of my fellow ChemE grads from the late 90's still work in engineering), because employers know these kids were not fucking around for 4 years. A class in Harry Potter does not give the same assurances.

-“Learning From YouTube

-“Oh, Look, a Chicken!

A very selective list of courses. Ninety nine percents of college and university courses are just what they always have been. American colleges and universities are a magnet for students from all over the world. It these schools are so pathetic, as you would have it, why do students from all over the world want to attend them?

The first attempt to teach thinking skills was probably in ancient Greece. Students took courses in logic learning inductive, deductive, fallacies, syllogisms and so forth. Logic was carried into most university systems as a requirement; and Jefferson's Declaration of Independence, is a good example.
Then a bonanza of thinking, the scientific method which is probably the best yet, but too complex for everyday use. Now critical thinking is being suggested as a requirement for high school students; anyone know of a better method of thinking for every day use?

I am focusing on what employers want from a graduate. 70 years ago a "soft" degree in liberal arts was rooted in the classics, and was a tough, rigorous course of study. It's why business hired people with these degrees for management roles even though knowing the in's and outs of Plato and Aristotle doesn't directly apply to the workings of say a steel mill.

A degree based on these classes today does not impress employers, who have seen the effect of watered down curricula and artificially boosted grades. Its why Engineering students can easily find jobs outside of engineering (less than half of my fellow ChemE grads from the late 90's still work in engineering), because employers know these kids were not fucking around for 4 years. A class in Harry Potter does not give the same assurances.
It's a bit ironic that the Harry Potter course seems to agree with you:

This course will engage students with questions about the very nature of history. Who decides what history is? Who decides how it is used or mis-used? How does this use or misuse affect us? How can the historical imagination inform literature and fantasy? How can fantasy reshape how we look at history? The Harry Potter novels and films are fertile ground for exploring all of these deeper questions. By looking at the actual geography of the novels, real and imagined historical events portrayed in the novels, the reactions of scholars in all the social sciences to the novels, and the world-wide frenzy inspired by them, students will examine issues of race, class, gender, time, place, the uses of space and movement, the role of multiculturalism in history as well as how to read a novel and how to read scholarly essays to get the most out of them.

btw, these are classes, not courses of study.

-“Learning From YouTube

-“Oh, Look, a Chicken!

A very selective list of courses. Ninety nine percents of college and university courses are just what they always have been. American colleges and universities are a magnet for students from all over the world. It these schools are so pathetic, as you would have it, why do students from all over the world want to attend them?
They want to have sex with liberal women, of course! ;)

Forum List

Back