American awarded posthumous bravery award

Diuretic

Permanently confused
Apr 26, 2006
South Australia est 1836
This is being reported in our media.

ROBERT Cook wrapped his arms around a young Australian woman and calmly instructed her to use his body as a mattress while their plane crashed from the sky. Mr Cook, a 23-year-old American from Missouri, was killed on impact but Melbourne woman Kimberley Dear survived despite extensive injuries.

Her tandem skydive instructor's selfless actions have earned him one of Australia's top bravery awards. He is one of three people receiving the Star of Courage medal this year; two of them died putting other's lives ahead of their own.

On July 29, 2006, Miss Dear was in America preparing for her first skydive. On camera, she pointed to her instructor and said: "This is the man that's going to save my life."

Moments after take-off, the engine failed and the plane carrying eight people crashed. In the 16 seconds it took for the plane to fall, Mr Cook turned to Miss Dear and told her to focus on his instructions. He clipped his harness to hers and told her to brace herself using his body to cushion the fall.

Miss Dear, who is still recovering physically and emotionally from the accident, said she was thrilled that Mr Cook was being recognised.

"He was an amazing person and he was going to go on to do amazing things himself but now he can't," she said.

"I am 100% certain he could have taken measures to save his own life but he didn't, he saved mine. There aren't many people who would put their life on the line for a stranger."

Mr Cook's father, Mark, has emailed the Dears to say they would never know how much it meant to see his dead son honoured by the award.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/natio...f-great-bravery/2008/03/16/1205602195527.html

The thing about this is that he didn't act on impulse. For me that's absolutely amazing courage and selflessness.

Forum List

Back