America is a different place than it was 75 years ago - it was relatively safe

Back 50+ years ago, there was a moral center to this culture. Yes, we didn't have men parading around in pink mankinis and the weirdosexuals, illegal aliens, criminals or drug pushers dictating to us what normality IS. Even the bad guys knew what we as a culture would accept and what was excessive. But NOW? That sense of commonality is dead and gone. Too bad. You kids don't know what you are missing.

Depends on what you consider moral

There was less divorce but many marriages were shams kept together for appearance sake. Women had few options....that is not morality

Gays were not allowed to openly express their sexuality. They still existed, but would lose their jobs and families if they came out.......that is not morality

Discrimination was open and accepted.....that is not morality
. Do you think that there is no such thing as pushing back when laws are broken or boundaries are crossed ? If you say no, then you are not an honest poster here. Sexuality of any kind has no place in the public square, and should remain in the privacy of one's home or private space. People flaunting their sexuality in ways that causes people to reject their craziness, has always been met with resistance in the public square. There is a video on the net where a couple was having sex in a Domino's Pizza resteraunt right in front of the clerk who I think was calling the law on them.. It didn't end well for them and their idiocy....... To suggest that such craziness should be allowed, and not discriminated against in the public square is being dishonest.

Back 50+ years ago, there was a moral center to this culture. Yes, we didn't have men parading around in pink mankinis and the weirdosexuals, illegal aliens, criminals or drug pushers dictating to us what normality IS. Even the bad guys knew what we as a culture would accept and what was excessive. But NOW? That sense of commonality is dead and gone. Too bad. You kids don't know what you are missing.

There was less divorce but many marriages were shams kept together for appearance sake. Women had few options....that is not morality

Gays were not allowed to openly express their sexuality. They still existed, but would lose their jobs and families if they came out.......that is not morality

I equate homosexuals with pedophiles or sociopaths . Broken sexuality and mental illness. They need help, yes. but equality? It rings hollow. No. Sorry, that's the grown up adult response. I am not willing to indulge in rationalizing homosexuality.
You are a very sick person

I am so grateful our country has moved passed opinions like yours

. Do you think that there is no such thing as pushing back when laws are broken or boundaries are crossed ? If you say no, then you are not an honest poster here. Sexuality of any kind has no place in the public square, and should remain in the privacy of one's home or private space. People flaunting their sexuality in ways that causes people to reject their craziness, has always been met with resistance in the public square. There is a video on the net where a couple was having sex in a Domino's Pizza resteraunt right in front of the clerk who I think was calling the law on them.. It didn't end well for them and their idiocy....... To suggest that such craziness should be allowed, and not discriminated against in the public square is being dishonest.
Sexuality is none of your business

Your desire to restrict access to marriage, serving your country or being employed based on your petty objections has no place in America

Your desire to restrict access to marriage, serving your country or being employed based on your petty objections has no place in America
. Say what ? Did anyone say any of the things you just said ?? Nope. What does what you just said have to do with two people being locked up for thinking they could have sex in the public square of Domino's Pizza ??????? Do you think that was appropriate ?? They should have kept their bullcrap in the proper space (the privacy of their own home).

. Say what ? Did anyone say any of the things you just said ?? Nope. What does what you just said have to do with two people being locked up for thinking they could have sex in the public square of Domino's Pizza ??????? Do you think that was appropriate ?? They should have kept their bullcrap in the proper space (the privacy of their own home).
What bizarro world do you live in?
Has nothing to do with gay rights
Nobody has advocated allowing public sex either heterosexual or homo sexual

I lived the sixties. I endured watching Burns "Vietnam' series, and it was tough. I honestly think, given the rampant sexism, racism and whatever we were better off THEN, that zeitgeist THEN VS NOW? Then it was a kind of innocence and respect. Now? That zeitgeist NOW is about mistrust, obfuscation and cynicism. Totally different eras.

I lived the sixties. I endured watching Burns "Vietnam' series, and it was tough. I honestly think, given the rampant sexism, racism and whatever we were better off THEN, that zeitgeist THEN VS NOW? Then it was a kind of innocence and respect. Now? That zeitgeist NOW is about mistrust, obfuscation and cynicism. Totally different eras.

The 60s were some of the worst years in our history
A despised war, assassinations, civil rights battles

Today is not even close

Today is not even close
Was it? I saw my father, that hated Asians (he was shot by a Japanese soldier and received a purple heart) actually had a Asian couple move in next door) He hated them but he made it clear to me that I couldn't do that, it was so totally weird. He knew it was wrong, he was a good man caught in a bad time. Teach your children well... Indeed.

What bizarro world do you live in?
Has nothing to do with gay rights
Nobody has advocated allowing public sex either heterosexual or homo sexual
. Who injected the things you speak ? You did. I brought up an example, and you went dumb about it. Oh and the sexual revolution was real, and the advocating of pushing the boundaries to include the public square was real also. Sex, drugs and Rock & roll remember ? The opioid problem is just one example of that stance people advocated for in the sixties. Goes back to the old saying "becareful what you ask for, because you just might get it, then what" ??

So, what exactly has changed?
75 years ago in big cities people got killed walking the streets at night, just like they do now...[/QUOTE]
Not nearly as often. I clearly remember a time, before the advent of air-conditioning, when people living in Park Slope, Brooklyn, NY, would take a blanket up to Prospect Park and sleep there all night. To do that now would be inviting some violent act -- or expulsion by police.

It really was different back then in many ways.

75 years ago in big cities people got killed walking the streets at night, just like they do now...[QUOTE/]
Not nearly as often. I clearly remember a time, before the advent of air-conditioning, when people living in Park Slope, Brooklyn, NY, would take a blanket up to Prospect Park and sleep there all night. To do that now would be inviting some violent act -- or expulsion by police.

It really was different back then in many ways.
. If the cultures were more in sinc with one another, instead of the way that it is with all the rebellion going on, the safety and serenity could be captured again in time. This time it would include more into the bubble, but without any unity going on, and instead all the disunity going on it's just a pipe dream is all. Not sure where it will all go from here.

Seventy five years ago people in America walked the streets at night in major cities with few concerns...and left doors open all night.

Shoplifting was a minor problem and violence against Law Enforcement was nearly unheard of.

It was a friendlier time when you were more likely to be helped by your fellow American than hurt by them.

Today...we live in a totally different place. Danger is lurking everywhere. Theft and crime run rampant. Police are shot and killed for fun. The elderly are victimized as quickly as anyone else.....
Brazen Thief Steals Purse From Woman, 82, on Scooter at California Supermarket

Young people text and drive killing thousands each year......People cheat the system rampantly....

The ONE caveat, and an important one, is that Civil Rights are more equally spread among all Americans.
But at what cost? Did we trade a safe society for one that has everyone closer to equal?
Surely VERY few people actually would still support slavery and the majority are pleased with equality for all.
But again, at what price?

'danger is lurking everywhere'- wow.

Notice how you didn't provide any statistics to support your claims?

1942 is a weird date to chose from- we had just entered into World War 2. We had a rise in crime in the 1960's and 1970's- which peaked in the 1990-'s- and has been generally decreasing since then. You are safer now from crime than you were 20 years ago .

In the long term, violent crime in the United States has been in decline since colonial times. The homicide rate has been estimated to be over 30 per 100,000 people in 1700, dropping to under 20 by 1800, and to under 10 by 1900.[6]

After World War II, crime rates increased in the United States, peaking from the 1970s to the early 1990s. Violent crime nearly quadrupled between 1960 and its peak in 1991. Property crime more than doubled over the same period. Since the 1990s, however, crime in the United States has declined steeply. Several theories have been proposed to explain this decline:

Today is not even close
How so? I lived through that era, I lost neighbors who's kids died in Vietnam and their names are on that wall in DC. Believe me, we are better off now even given what is happening in Afghanistan. We were attacked by Muslims on 9/11 and THAT makes the fight against terrorism way different. Vietnam never attacked us, Islam HAS. It makes this a rather different fight.

I equate homosexuals with pedophiles or sociopaths . Broken sexuality and mental illness. They need help, yes. but equality? It rings hollow. No. Sorry, that's the grown up adult response. I am not willing to indulge in rationalizing homosexuality.
You are a very sick person

I am so grateful our country has moved passed opinions like yours
Beautiful. I regret you don't know what the hell you are supporting kiddo.

One of the fallacies of history is that the people in the past were always good, generous and law abiding, and people in the future will be saying the same about us.
LOL

Nope.

Depending on what happens in the future, this very time period might be rightly recognized as the time when civilization actually started to go backwards consciously.

The late 20th to 21st century will be mostly seen as a time period that is as horrible as World War 2.

I am sixty, hell, We had harmony and communal harmony back then, it was safe back in the mid sixties. Then, diversity reared it's ugly head. Diversity is the enemy of commonality. A community is about people that conform to laws, standards and ethics . Diversity means ... divisiveness, opposition, and it is the opposite of communal harmony. It leads to divisiveness. If you are black, Hispanics or homosexual...it's divisive as hell. Diversity means divisive. Let's be inclusive. Forget about the clauses.
I grew up in those times
Yea, everything was harmony. As long as blacks knew their place, women accepted their role, gays stayed in the closet........everyone was happy

Great time to be a straight, Christian, white male

Well, things were safer when blacks knew their place. Since the color barrier has been removed, blacks freely commit crimes against whites and the neutered news media tries to not even mention that the perpetrators are black, like in that bart train robbery in Oakland several weeks ago. The politically correct media just said a group of teenagers robbed...sure. The coverup of black on white crime in this country is big time and many people like yourself who live in bubbles and aren't savvy and world wise don't have a clue. You're fed the propaganda that it's the whites beating and terrorizing the blacks and you believe this crap.

One of the fallacies of history is that the people in the past were always good, generous and law abiding, and people in the future will be saying the same about us.
LOL

Nope.

Depending on what happens in the future, this very time period might be rightly recognized as the time when civilization actually started to go backwards consciously.

The late 20th to 21st century will be mostly seen as a time period that is as horrible as World War 2.
. Good points because throughout time we have seen progress in which led this country out of some dark times, and if not careful that progress could actually come to a screeching halt. Then the country would understand what the issues were all about, and how we ALL as a people are getting worse and not better by precentages of if not careful. Otherwise the bubbles are growing, but which bubbles are being fed the fastest, and therefore are growing the fastest ? When will the bubbles pop, and how bad will it be when they do ? We are seeing bubbles pop now, but will a big one form and cause catostrophic consequences ?

I am sixty, hell, We had harmony and communal harmony back then, it was safe back in the mid sixties. Then, diversity reared it's ugly head. Diversity is the enemy of commonality. A community is about people that conform to laws, standards and ethics . Diversity means ... divisiveness, opposition, and it is the opposite of communal harmony. It leads to divisiveness. If you are black, Hispanics or homosexual...it's divisive as hell. Diversity means divisive. Let's be inclusive. Forget about the clauses.
I grew up in those times
Yea, everything was harmony. As long as blacks knew their place, women accepted their role, gays stayed in the closet........everyone was happy

Great time to be a straight, Christian, white male

Well, things were safer when blacks knew their place. Since the color barrier has been removed, blacks freely commit crimes against whites and the neutered news media tries to not even mention that the perpetrators are black, like in that bart train robbery in Oakland several weeks ago. The politically correct media just said a group of teenagers robbed...sure. The coverup of black on white crime in this country is big time and many people like yourself who live in bubbles and aren't savvy and world wise don't have a clue. You're fed the propaganda that it's the whites beating and terrorizing the blacks and you believe this crap.
. Not a color thing imho, but more of a cultural and/or character thing going on, and it depends on what goes on within the groups (who leads/feeds them), that determines the outcomes of the trends, traits or characters found within the groups. Otherwise you can take two true blue Christian groups (one black and one white), and if follow the Bible the same, you will find the same loving compassionate Christian's in both groups regardless of the color of their skin.

Seventy five years ago people in America walked the streets at night in major cities with few concerns...and left doors open all night.

Shoplifting was a minor problem and violence against Law Enforcement was nearly unheard of.

It was a friendlier time when you were more likely to be helped by your fellow American than hurt by them.

Today...we live in a totally different place. Danger is lurking everywhere. Theft and crime run rampant. Police are shot and killed for fun. The elderly are victimized as quickly as anyone else.....
Brazen Thief Steals Purse From Woman, 82, on Scooter at California Supermarket

Young people text and drive killing thousands each year......People cheat the system rampantly....

The ONE caveat, and an important one, is that Civil Rights are more equally spread among all Americans.
But at what cost? Did we trade a safe society for one that has everyone closer to equal?
Surely VERY few people actually would still support slavery and the majority are pleased with equality for all.
But again, at what price?

'danger is lurking everywhere'- wow.

Notice how you didn't provide any statistics to support your claims?

1942 is a weird date to chose from- we had just entered into World War 2. We had a rise in crime in the 1960's and 1970's- which peaked in the 1990-'s- and has been generally decreasing since then. You are safer now from crime than you were 20 years ago .

In the long term, violent crime in the United States has been in decline since colonial times. The homicide rate has been estimated to be over 30 per 100,000 people in 1700, dropping to under 20 by 1800, and to under 10 by 1900.[6]

After World War II, crime rates increased in the United States, peaking from the 1970s to the early 1990s. Violent crime nearly quadrupled between 1960 and its peak in 1991. Property crime more than doubled over the same period. Since the 1990s, however, crime in the United States has declined steeply. Several theories have been proposed to explain this decline:
Violent crime peaked in the 90s because of the crack wars
It has been declining ever since

Forum List

Back