AMD or Intel

Discussion in 'Computers' started by jimnyc, Oct 2, 2003.

?

Which is the better processor?

1. AMD

22 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Intel

11 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246
    Until my recent debacle, I've had nothing but good luck with my AMD Athlon. It's also starting to look like the problem is motherboard related.

Anyway, I'm going to get a new motherboard, processor & memory down the road. Just trying to get an idea on preferences and why.

Gonna make it a poll, so vote! Give opinions if you have them too!

2. janeeng

janeeng Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Can't vote on something I know jack shit about! :) go with the other one if you had so many problems...

3. Jack

Jack "Dirty Jack"

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hey Jim,

I always fought with Dennis and said I would only use Intel. The past three computers have had AMD CPU's and I love them. The price is so much better and I can't find any fault. If you can remember days before AMD, Intel was always screwing the public because of no competition.

4. Jackass

Jackass Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I totally agree with Jack. For the price diff..you can get 2 AMD's no??

5. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246
    Just about, yes! I'm looking around in the 2GHz range and most AMD cpu's are around $80-120 dollars. Similar Intel processors are $159 and up. Bigger difference with older chips. My 1.53GHz cpu can be bought for $45 where the comparable Intel P3 is around $100

6. janeeng

janeeng Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Too bad, had I have been working at the place i used to I could have gotten you one of each for FREE!!!

7. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    I voted AMD, for the price, and because I've heard so much good about them.

8. eric

eric Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Jim, don't go crazy comparing the two. There is no right answer to the question. Go with the better value. We have had this discussion many times and we allways arrive at the same conclusion. They are almost equal as far as performance, AMD has a slight edge most of the time, but it really depends on the type of code that is running and the OS in use. More importantly the chipset in use can make or break the processor. This is the problem with the comparison, it all depends on the chipset/processor combination.

This rule of thumb holds true UNTIL you get to the 3.0Gig and faster processors. At this point Intel is clearly the winner. In every benchmark (independent, not manufacturer) Intel outperforms AMD as long as the chipset are comparable.

9. nbdysfu

nbdysfu Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29
  10. SinisterMotives

SinisterMotives Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Believe it or not, I'm running Windows XP Pro on a 450 MHz K6-2 and had no problems until I started running out of drive space recently. I'd never consider paying Intel's outrageous prices for an equivalent CPU.