Amazon loses 50 billion in value after Trump says he "wants to go after them"

They will probably break it up one day. They are monopolizing everything.
I'm a capitalist, but this is a clear example of how capitalism HAS to be carefully regulated.

Yeah, their economies of scale are so efficient now, and that's creating such momentum, that they won't be able to continue on this course without causing serious damage, and that's already happening.

There has been an element of that to Wal Mart's success, but this is starting to make Wal Mart look like a freakin' lemonade stand.
I'm not sure how either Wal-Mart or Amazon are monopolies. Wal-Mart has been accused of driving competitors out of biz by selling some items at below their cost. THAT is illegal and is called predatory pricing. But I haven't heard of such complaints in at least several years. Msft was a classic monopoly because they packaged software with their windows system, and by buying the software mftrs, they prevented other OP systems from being able to offer the same software. But windows is not what it once was .... and it will continue to decline as OPs are less important. And it will be less important to have software on a computing device.

But just because a company like Amazon offers customer support that people like doesn't make them a monopoly. And Amazon is not always the cheapest supplier. It is probably the biggest. But Amazon doesn't do anything to hinder Wal-Mart or anyone else from doing online sales. So, I don't see the illegality of what they do. And independent sellers can be accessed through their website. That's the backbone of both their apparel and used books that I use from time to time.
I wouldn't say that they're either a monopoly or doing anything illegal. But their sheer size creates significant cost and distribution advantages that smaller companies simply can't compete with. Not within miles. And small, local businesses? Forget it.

The two main shopping malls in my city are half empty, and that's happening nationally. Yes, the low costs and convenience of Amazon and Wal Mart are great, but they're coming at a serious cost. Jobs are gone and retail margins and incomes are measly. And then there is the ripple effect.

There really is a point at which these companies can get too big, creating diminishing returns. And we're there, right now.

Walmart employs locally. It also contributes charitably to the local area of each store. Amazon, not so much.
I'm a capitalist, but this is a clear example of how capitalism HAS to be carefully regulated.

Yeah, their economies of scale are so efficient now, and that's creating such momentum, that they won't be able to continue on this course without causing serious damage, and that's already happening.

There has been an element of that to Wal Mart's success, but this is starting to make Wal Mart look like a freakin' lemonade stand.
I'm not sure how either Wal-Mart or Amazon are monopolies. Wal-Mart has been accused of driving competitors out of biz by selling some items at below their cost. THAT is illegal and is called predatory pricing. But I haven't heard of such complaints in at least several years. Msft was a classic monopoly because they packaged software with their windows system, and by buying the software mftrs, they prevented other OP systems from being able to offer the same software. But windows is not what it once was .... and it will continue to decline as OPs are less important. And it will be less important to have software on a computing device.

But just because a company like Amazon offers customer support that people like doesn't make them a monopoly. And Amazon is not always the cheapest supplier. It is probably the biggest. But Amazon doesn't do anything to hinder Wal-Mart or anyone else from doing online sales. So, I don't see the illegality of what they do. And independent sellers can be accessed through their website. That's the backbone of both their apparel and used books that I use from time to time.
I wouldn't say that they're either a monopoly or doing anything illegal. But their sheer size creates significant cost and distribution advantages that smaller companies simply can't compete with. Not within miles. And small, local businesses? Forget it.

The two main shopping malls in my city are half empty, and that's happening nationally. Yes, the low costs and convenience of Amazon and Wal Mart are great, but they're coming at a serious cost. Jobs are gone and retail incomes are measly. And then there is the ripple effect.

There really is a point at which these companies can get too big, creating diminishing returns. And we're there, right now.

Walmart employs locally. It also contributes charitably to the local area of each store. Amazon, not so much.

The two main shopping malls in my city are half empty, and that's happening nationally. Yes, the low costs and convenience of Amazon and Wal Mart are great, but they're coming at a serious cost. Jobs are gone and retail incomes are measly. And then there is the ripple effect.

Wal Mart employs locally, but it kills off local businesses. The list is long: Garden shops, toy stores, party stores, auto parts, gift shops, grocery stores, on and on. Every small local business that is lost means that the owners have lost all their equity, that loans are not paid back, that downtowns become ghost towns.

I'm not saying Wal Mart and Amazon shouldn't exist, but I don't like the idea of someone who has the ability to run a business having to be a Wal Mart greeter, either.

Wal Mart employs locally, but it kills off local businesses. The list is long: Garden shops, toy stores, party stores, auto parts, gift shops, grocery stores, on and on. Every small local business that is lost means that the owners have lost all their equity, that loans are not paid back, that downtowns become ghost towns.

I'm not saying Wal Mart and Amazon shouldn't exist, but I don't like the idea of someone who has the ability to run a business having to be a Wal Mart greeter, either.
I know. But the if the answer is punish the most efficient for the benefit of a chosen few count me out. And that is Trumpnomics.

There is also the avenue of taxing capital (and labor) by uniform rates and using the proceeds to give all taxpayers equal benefits to educ and HC. The gop supported that until the tea party came along ... which was funded by corporations wanting to avoid taxes.

And not that I think the Walton family is anything but trailer trash who benefited by who provider the sperm and egg from whence they came, and who married into the clan ... but they were not initially opposed to federal HC for workers, but they wanted all employers to be equally taxed so nobody got a competitive advantage.

Trump hates Amazon - But apparently not Facebook who got him elected. :rolleyes-41:

President Donald Trump is not a fan of Amazon.

Axios is reporting that Trump wants to "go after" the e-commerce giant, citing five sources who have talked about Amazon with him.

"He's obsessed with Amazon," one source told the media outlet. "Obsessed."

Trump has discussed altering the company's tax treatment because several of his friends told him Amazon is hurting their businesses and "killing shopping malls and brick-and-mortar retailers," according to Axios.

Amazon shares fell 7.3 percent Wednesday after the report, wiping out nearly $53 billion in shareholder value.​

Bet ya Donnie Dotard bought a million or so shares after the dip.

Amazon loses more than $50 billion in value on report Trump wants to 'go after' company's tax treatment
There is a reason why prefer to shop with Amazon. The service! same day deliveries right to your door. you dont have to go to the store. if you did and they didnt have the item, the store would order it and take days to get to you. Amazon can get it same day! They should stop complaining about Amazon, that is what the ppl want, that is why they are doing so well.

There is a reason why prefer to shop with Amazon. The service! same day deliveries right to your door. you dont have to go to the store. if you did and they didnt have the item, the store would order it and take days to get to you. Amazon can get it same day! They should stop complaining about Amazon, that is what the ppl want, that is why they are doing so well.

We don't have same day in Boise as yet, but I don't know anyone without Amazon Prime. Two days is good. Trump has a lot of nerve ragging on Amazon and claiming that they are using USPS as their delivery boys. So F-ing WHAT? They've been great for USPS. Billions in revenue. And of course he also hates Jeff Bezos who runs WaPo and has done a great job of restructuring and investing in some REALLY good young reporters who at times come up with unflattering scoops on this administration.

Trump wants to kill off most of government, from USPS to the VA. Shutting down either affects rural America the most which of course is where Trump voters live.

Bad ideas by the Orange Foolius just keep on coming.

The two main shopping malls in my city are half empty, and that's happening nationally. Yes, the low costs and convenience of Amazon and Wal Mart are great, but they're coming at a serious cost. Jobs are gone and retail margins and incomes are measly. And then there is the ripple effect.

I find the comparisons between Amazon and Mal-Wart to be bizarre. They do different things, in different ways. Mal-Wart does indeed kill off and stifle small more specialized businesses, and not mentioned was how it starts that way, then decides it's still hungry, opens a "superstore" and leaves the original location as a big hole with a parking lot, as a carcass for proverbial buzzards.

Amazon on the other hand is virtual. Doesn't exist unless you open its page, and in that event you're probably already shopping for something, likely something you can't get in the immediate physical world (if you can get it locally, you don't need Amazon). Actually what I usually use Amazon for the most is to read reviews when choosing among different products, as they have quite the extensive library of it. Rarely do I ever end up buying that item from Amazon though. There are (often) better deals elsewhere.

But I agree, neither is a ''monopoly". Hell eBay does the same thing Amazon does as far as being a supplier of whatever. I buy a lot more from there than from Amazon and I don't see anybody calling eBay a "monopoly".

I find the comparisons between Amazon and Mal-Wart to be bizarre. They do different things, in different ways. Mal-Wart does indeed kill off and stifle small more specialized businesses, and not mentioned was how it starts that way, then decides it's still hungry, opens a "superstore" and leaves the original location as a big hole with a parking lot, as a carcass for proverbial buzzards.

Amazon on the other hand is virtual. Doesn't exist unless you open its page, and in that event you're probably already shopping for something, likely something you can't get in the immediate physical world (if you can get it locally, you don't need Amazon). Actually what I usually use Amazon for the most is to read reviews when choosing among different products, as they have quite the extensive library of it. Rarely do I ever end up buying that item from Amazon though. There are (often) better deals elsewhere.

But I agree, neither is a ''monopoly". Hell eBay does the same thing Amazon does as far as being a supplier of whatever. I buy a lot more from there than from Amazon and I don't see anybody calling eBay a "monopoly".

I've found Amazon to be pretty competitive price wise on most things. And if they're close on something that I would spend 30-60 minutes plus gas going to get - I'll get it on Amazon.

Agree though that the reviews are really helpful.

Considering how much damage a Mal-Wart store does to the area in which it foists itself, it damn well better contribute something back in compensation.

I'm not aware of what that is, if it exists. The only contribution to the local community I can think of was back in the aftermath of Katrina, when anarchist thugs were shooting at things --- they got those guns from the Mal-Wart on Tchoupitoulas Street. Which itself had threatened to raze historic buildings dating back over a century so it could get its parking lot on. But thanks to Mal-Wart, firefighters were getting shot at.

Somehow I don't think Amazon would have provided that.

Forum List

Back