All the religions in the world are the feathers of the same bird

Status
Not open for further replies.

When you make judgments about the understanding ability of other people, don't whine when they do the same with you in a more creative, poignant, and accurate way.

If you can't handle my concepts, and/or my conclusions, then keep away from me.

Making judgments? By pointing out that there are complex intricacies in each religious faith and that to simply assert they are all the same is unsubstantiated and naive?

Its easy to pretend everything is the same without any sort of investigation or facts to substantiate said assertion. And for the record, Im not the one whining am i?

Soul
tt=66
(Greek psyche; Latin anima; French ame; German Seele).
The question of the reality of the soul and its distinction from the body is among the most important problems of philosophy, for with it is bound up the doctrine of a future life. Various theories as to the nature of the soul have claimed to be reconcilable with the tenet of immortality, but it is a sure instinct that leads us to suspect every attack on the substantiality or spirituality of the soul as an assault on the belief in existence after death. The soul may be defined as the ultimate internal principle by which we think, feel, and will, and by which our bodies are animated. The term "mind" usually denotes this principle as the subject of our conscious states, while "soul" denotes the source of our vegetative activities as well. That our vital activities proceed from a principle capable of subsisting in itself, is the thesis of the substantiality of the soul: that this principle is not itself composite, extended, corporeal, or essentially and intrinsically dependent on the body, is the doctrine of spirituality. If there be a life after death, clearly the agent or subject of our vital activities must be capable of an existence separate from the body. The belief in an animating principle in some sense distinct from the body is an almost inevitable inference from the observed facts of life. Even uncivilized peoples arrive at the concept of the soul almost without reflection, certainly without any severe mental effort. The mysteries of birth and death, the lapse of conscious life during sleep and in swooning, even the commonest operations of imagination and memory, which abstract a man from his bodily presence even while awake—all such facts invincibly suggest the existence of something besides the visible organism, internal to it, but to a large extent independent of it, and leading a life of its own. In the rude psychology of the primitive nations, the soul is often represented as actually migrating to and fro during dreams and trances, and after death haunting the neighbourhood of its body. Nearly always it is figured as something extremely volatile, a perfume or a breath. Often, as among the Fijians, it is represented as a miniature replica of the body, so small as to be invisible. The Samoans have a name for the soul which means "that which comes and goes". Many peoples, such as the Dyaks and Sumatrans, bind various parts of the body with cords during sickness to prevent the escape of the soul. In short, all the evidence goes to show that Dualism, however uncritical and inconsistent, is the instinctive creed of "primitive man" (see ANIMISM).
CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: Soul

No, no, no. You have it all wrong. Soul is that "coolness" that a person displays when MoTown music is played that has a really good beat, terrific music, and great song lyrics. Although white people can possess "soul" it is most generally heaped upon the black race in large quantities.

Just saying 'no' is not an argument nor does it qualify as 'discussion' of the topic. Why don't you give us some good arguments why they're not 'different feathers of the same bird' as the OP argues? Discuss the topic, not the poster's capability to 'understand the intricacies of world religions' because by doing so, you might be offending the individual (a good Christian would never wanna do that anyway, would he/she?) and setting yourself up for subsequent personal attacks in response.

And please, don't tell others that they're going to end up being banned from the board - you're not an administrator.

Um i didnt simply say no. I pointed to the the complexities and intracities of the many faiths as evidence that they cannot simply be labeled as all the same without any sort of support.

I fail to see how the OPs failure to support their positions and view actual facts about world religions justifies personal attacks which add absolutely nothing to the discussion. If someone is offended because someone disagrees with them for valid reasons then the issue isnt really with the person disagreeing.

Finally, I dont have to be an administration to recommend to people that they stop personal attacking and actually comply to the rules of the board which includes making substatial points and not simply personally attacking someone because they were unable to support their position on other threads. It seems foolish not to remind new people that there are conditions for being allowed to post and that violating those conditions have consequences.

But hey, whatever you want to think. If you think its appropriate to assert obviously untrue statements and that no one should be required to actually substatiate them when challenged, that's not my problem. Heaven forbid, people actually disagree with you guys without you trying to be victims of some great conspiracy. and heaven forbid they try to help you stay around to discuss things.

Now please, can someone atleast attempt to support the claim that all religions are the same simply because the OP said so?

Or is it maybe because religion is a completely man-made enterprise and that is why it differs from region to region, from culture to culture, etc.? They all seek answers to basically the same questions... in their own different ways. I don't think that God or Lord or whatever you call it has anything to do with the way the questions are asked...

of course not, what would God have to do with God?

Understanding existence is beyond our paygrade.

Believing that your religion gives you perspective into existence is rather like thinking that by climbing the highest mountains in one region one can see the whole world.

I ascribe to a set of moral and ethical principles.

They are the result of my experiences, and the values I was given as a child. I don't even know if they're good moral and values, to be perfectly honest with you.

I only know that they are the best morals and ethical codes I have, as yet, been able to understand.

But I do not impose those values upon God and say that my understanding of the good and the bad, and God's understanding of them are one and the same.

What the deeply religious usually need and typically lack, thanks to their blinding religious dogma, is a little humility.

The greek philosohers understood that well enough.

They called our petty conciets hubris.

The Lord is universal but the human beings in the universe differ in their attitudes. The same single Lord adopts a different procedure in a different region and such different procedure appears as a different religion. A few criticize the Lord of other religion. You are criticizing your own Lord of your own religion.

Am I?

Is that how you interpret my thoughts on this subject? As a criticism of the Godhead?

The external behavior of the Lord differs due to different internal and external behaviors of the human beings in this universe.

So it would appear. But even if we both believe that to be true we're GUESSING.

The external form, dress, language, food habits and culture of human beings differ from one region to the other. Accordingly the external form, dress, food habits, language and culture of the Lord also differ to suit that particular region. The internal Lord and the internal essence of the same Lord is one and the same in His different human incarnations which have come in different regions or religions.

Maybe.

Or maybe that's only about as well as you or I can understand the mystery of existence.

Your certainty about understanding the mind of God makes you still nothing more than another Buddha on the road as far as I can tell, Datt.

I don't mean to offend you because I am certain you are sincere, but you don't know doodle-squat about the universal plan.

You have faith and that is, in the greater scheme of things, all any of us can have.

But faith is not knowing.

Faith is but a candle, one that comforms us, but does not --can not- illuminate that grand night that is the mystery of being.

Last edited:
I suppose you could say that the religions are similar to baseball teams. There are pro teams and lesser degrees of minor league teams all the way down to sand lot teams and T-ball. In my opinion, it is more important to have some appreciation of what you believe your "higher power" is rather than to become hung up on what your particular brand of religion might be called. Then again, you may not like baseball at all and have no religious beliefs at all. It's all a matter of choice. Like automobiles. Some people drive Fords. Other Chevrolets. Some Dodge. Some people even take the city bus. There is a group of people that would rather walk and not ride at all. It's all a matter of what is important to you as you pass through this thing we call life.

No, no, no. You have it all wrong. Soul is that "coolness" that a person displays when MoTown music is played that has a really good beat, terrific music, and great song lyrics. Although white people can possess "soul" it is most generally heaped upon the black race in large quantities.

Feeling "Kind Of Blue" today MD? What kind of day is gonna be? Buddy Miles? James Brown? Motown? Philli? What is the forcast?

I ran into you before, on my thread: "My Creator: The Sum Total of All the laws of the Universe."

Assuming that you're not a lobotmized paramecium, what YOU don't understand is that you must first graduate from Jr. High School before you discuss Theological Philosophy.

I sense a trend....:eusa_whistle:

Bo DUH ... cya,

Yep.

There seem to be a lot of you around.

I hope it's not a begining of an epidemic.:eek::eek::eek:

I don't think lobotomized parameceum (even tho you have yet to explain how that comes about) are epidemic causing bacteria. If you have knowledge that they are, please share. As I said before, I have an interest in microbiology...and have never heard about this lobotomizing of single cell organisms of which you speak.

I sense a trend....:eusa_whistle:

Bo DUH ... cya,

Yep.

I don't think lobotomized parameceum (even tho you have yet to explain how that comes about) are epidemic causing bacteria. If you have knowledge that they are, please share. As I said before, I have an interest in microbiology...and have never heard about this lobotomizing of single cell organisms of which you speak.

Bo DUH ... cya,

I 'm telling you this for the last time:

You have a choice, follow the instructions ........or, you're on "ignore".

Bo DUH ... cya,

Yep.

Bo DUH ... cya,

I 'm telling you this for the last time:

You have a choice, follow the instructions ........or, you're on "ignore".

My friend, I really don't understand why you want to run away from me. I am quite harmless and simply want to know more about these lobotomized paramecium that YOU have brought to the discussion.

The Soul is the body and spirit joined as one.

Soul is pure awareness, which is a special work form of energy produced by the oxidation of food. Its generation requires the function of several biological systems also like lungs, stomach, nervous system etc. When any one of these fail, the energy is not produced and awareness in general disappears as in the deep sleep in which the nervous system takes rest. But the subtle body, which is a bundle of strong feelings (Samskaras), which are the waves of awareness, is not destroyed and it leaves the body for final enquiry. The enquiry is conducted by God based on these Samskaras only and not mere pure awareness, which is common in every soul. If you mean the subtle body for the soul, it is not destroyed. Even in the subtle body, pure awareness exists like gold in the jewels.

Soul is the energy of your being.

Soul is also a form of music that has groovy jams.

Food is matter and is called as Annamaya Kosha. The next part is Pranamaya Kosha, which consists of transportation of Oxygen into the lungs. This Oxygen is transported to the digestive system, which oxidizes the food. This process generates inert energy. Both these parts (Anna and Prana) are inert only. The food consists of matter in solid and liquid states. The Prana also is matter in gaseous state, which is Oxygen. Both these generate inert energy. This inert energy enters nervous system and the specific work of nervous system, which is a specific modification of inert energy is called as general awareness. This awareness is in the form of a thought (Sankalpa). When you see a pot and feel that it is a pot, the awareness is in the form of Sankalpa. When the same awareness is in the form of variable thoughts like whether it is golden pot or brass pot, it is called as Vikalpa. Both Sankalpa and Vikalpa constitute Manomaya Kosha. When you decide it as a golden pot through logical and scientific analysis, it is intelligence or Buddhi and is called as Vijnanamaya Kosha.

When you feel happy about the benefit of golden pot, it is called as Anandamaya Kosha. This happiness is limited because the happiness may end due to the possible loss of the pot. All these three parts (Manomaya, Vijnanamaya and Anandamaya) involve awareness. The common item between all the five Koshas is inert energy. The matter and awareness are specific forms of inert energy.

Feeling "Kind Of Blue" today MD? What kind of day is gonna be? Buddy Miles? James Brown? Motown? Philli? What is the forcast?

Awareness is only a specific name of a specific inert process

When you see a pot, the light rays falling on the pot create an impression of the pot on the retina of your eye. The neuron cells in the nervous system transport this image to the brain. Here the pot, the light rays, the image, the brain, the nervous cells, the transportation of the image to the brain and the chemicals in the brain are entirely inert items. Now tell me which part of this entire process is called awareness? Awareness is only a specific inert work. On careful analysis there is nothing, which is not inert. All this entire process is taking place under systematic control of God. There is little freedom in selecting the object for seeing. But once the object is selected the entire process is under a specific set up and has no freedom or variation.

Awareness is only a specific name of a specific inert process. Hence the entire human being is inert and is controlled by God completely. Even the little limited freedom of the human being is due to sanction of God only. Hence, the human beings are completely controlled by God and this is mentioned in Veda (Aatmeswaram). The Atman or Self is inert because God is the controller of the self of any human being. This Awareness or Self or Atman is imaginable inert item, which is a specific form of inert energy only. Thus, the self is imaginable item and is totally different from the unimaginable God who is its controller.

Believing that your religion gives you perspective into existence is rather like thinking that by climbing the highest mountains in one region one can see the whole world.

They are the result of my experiences, and the values I was given as a child. I don't even know if they're good moral and values, to be perfectly honest with you.

I only know that they are the best morals and ethical codes I have, as yet, been able to understand.

But I do not impose those values upon God and say that my understanding of the good and the bad, and God's understanding of them are one and the same.

What the deeply religious usually need and typically lack, thanks to their blinding religious dogma, is a little humility.

The Lord is universal but the human beings in the universe differ in their attitudes. The same single Lord adopts a different procedure in a different region and such different procedure appears as a different religion. A few criticize the Lord of other religion. You are criticizing your own Lord of your own religion. The external behavior of the Lord differs due to different internal and external behaviors of the human beings in this universe.

The external form, dress, language, food habits and culture of human beings differ from one region to the other. Accordingly the external form, dress, food habits, language and culture of the Lord also differ to suit that particular region. The internal Lord and the internal essence of the same Lord is one and the same in His different human incarnations which have come in different regions or religions.

Or is it maybe because religion is a completely man-made enterprise and that is why it differs from region to region, from culture to culture, etc.? They all seek answers to basically the same questions... in their own different ways. I don't think that God or Lord or whatever you call it has anything to do with the way the questions are asked...

The same Lord came to different parts of the world in different age to preach the same Divine Knowledge. All the scriptures of the world are the records of the knowledge given by the same Lord and hence cannot contradict each other. Yet we find sometimes that there are some glaring contradictions between different scriptures of the world. This is in part due to fact that the Lord taught the same truth in different ages and places in a slightly different way, so as to suit the culture and language of the people. This is only an extraneous difference. The essential knowledge is the same. Correct interpretation will remove the contradiction.
Sometimes there may be an apparent difference even in the essential meaning.

In such as case the inconsistency is probably caused by corruption of the scripture over generations. Comparison with other scriptures of the world will help in removing the corrupted portions in each scripture. Here it becomes essential to bring in experience as a prama?a or a valid means of knowledge. While comparing contradictory views in different scriptures, the view which agrees with experience or anubhuti should be taken as correct.

Am I?

Is that how you interpret my thoughts on this subject? As a criticism of the Godhead?

So it would appear. But even if we both believe that to be true we're GUESSING.

Maybe.

Or maybe that's only about as well as you or I can understand the mystery of existence.

Your certainty about understanding the mind of God makes you still nothing more than another Buddha on the road as far as I can tell, Datt.

I don't mean to offend you because I am certain you are sincere, but you don't know doodle-squat about the universal plan.

You have faith and that is, in the greater scheme of things, all any of us can have.

But faith is not knowing.

Faith is but a candle, one that comforms us, but does not --can not- illuminate that grand night that is the mystery of being.

The essence of all the religions is one and the same since the Universal God gives it. The religions are different from each other because the religious leaders who are the human beings create the material that surrounds the essence. The skeleton is one and the same and there is no difference in the skeletons of the human beings. The difference lies only in the external materials covering the skeletons, which are flesh, skin etc., in these external materials differences arose due to deficiencies. Suppose there are two students. One is weak in physics and the other is weak in chemistry.

Each student mocks the other for the deficiency. Therefore, the deficiency is the root of difference and quarrels in the religions. The reason for the deficiency is the human brain that developed the external body of the spiritual knowledge. Therefore, the spiritual knowledge is the skeleton and the religion is its body. The deficiency in a religion can be removed by taking the merits of the other religions. Every religion has deficiency and the rectification of that deficiency should be from other religion without any ego and jealousy. Do not think that you are without defects. Do not think that your parents have no defects. Do not think that your teachers and preachers do not have defects. Therefore, observe others and take the merits from anybody without prejudice.

The blind thinking that your nation, your state, your district, your town or village, your caste, your family, your parents, etc., is the best or highest should be eradicated from your brain. Always base your self on your analysis and commonsense that is observed from the examples in the world. Your elders might have polluted the scriptures but this world is the best scripture written by God. This world-scripture is Universal without any color of any religion. You can develop the entire spiritual knowledge by observing this world and the scientific knowledge existing in the various examples or items of the world. Any human being cannot pollute these. You must be scientific and analytical in your belief. The ignorant and clever religious elders always exploit blind belief.

The Soul is the body and spirit joined as one.

Soul is pure awareness, which is a special work form of energy produced by the oxidation of food. Its generation requires the function of several biological systems also like lungs, stomach, nervous system etc. When any one of these fail, the energy is not produced and awareness in general disappears as in the deep sleep in which the nervous system takes rest. But the subtle body, which is a bundle of strong feelings (Samskaras), which are the waves of awareness, is not destroyed and it leaves the body for final enquiry. The enquiry is conducted by God based on these Samskaras only and not mere pure awareness, which is common in every soul. If you mean the subtle body for the soul, it is not destroyed. Even in the subtle body, pure awareness exists like gold in the jewels.

Christianity and Judaism disagree with you. Which is interesting since you have been arguing that all religions are the same and teaching the same things. Ill the Judeo-Christian view of the Soul up. It can be explained simply by reading the Creation story in Genesis:

7 And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul. (Genesis 2:7)

Keep in mind that the word for Spirit in Hebrew is the same as the word for Breath.

So God formed the body, and breathed the spirit of life and created a living soul.

Body + Spirit = Soul.

Many people confuse the Spirit and the Soul. They are not the same though if we are to believe the scriptures. I think it's a very important truth that Im not sure even those practicing the judeo-christian faiths all recognize. Especially Christians.

If all Christians realized that truth they would more fully understand why the resurrection from the dead is so vital for the Redemption of the Soul. Because without the Body, the Soul is incomplete.

political-pictures-ben-bernanke-prayer-frightening.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back