All Eyes on China as Indian Premier Modi Heads to Vietnam

.... China is way too backward technologically to be considered a superpower......

That is an outdated view.

I am not the type who gets caught in who is a superpower and who is not. But if you are making an argument that Vietnam should surrender Spratly Islands just because China is a "superpower" then there is a problem because China even today lacks key military technologies forcing it rely on Russia.

... if you are making an argument that Vietnam should surrender Spratly Islands just because China is a "superpower" then there is a problem......

What I'm saying is that it's too late to consider China technologically "backward." That is simply not accurate.

... I have met plenty of Vietnamese that hold independent views but Chinese for the most part parrot the views of Chinese Communist Party.

You need to meet more people.

I am not talking about Chinese Americans. I am talking about people from China. If you think they are capable of holding independent views in a country where even social media is banned or regulated then it is you who need to meet more people.

... I have met plenty of Vietnamese that hold independent views but Chinese for the most part parrot the views of Chinese Communist Party.

I am not talking about Chinese Americans. I am talking about people from China......

I know. My statement stands.

Your stand has no basis to stand. People in China do not have access to uncensored media outlets. Even seemingly non political things like dropbox are banned in China. Any political narrative in China is tightly controlled by Chinese Communist Party. There are some rebels there who risk their lives and freedom in defying Chinese Communist Party imposed censorship but for the majority of Chinese people Chinese Communist Party propaganda is their only source of information.

... if you are making an argument that Vietnam should surrender Spratly Islands just because China is a "superpower" then there is a problem......

What I'm saying is that it's too late to consider China technologically "backward." That is simply not accurate.

It depends on who you are comparing China with :)

You're letting your emotions overrule your reason again.

Actually, you are being emotional. You probably think I am trying to be anti-Asian or something. I can assure you that is not the case.

Let us take a look at where US and Russia stand in technology and then we will compare that with China.

a. Both Russia and US have sent missions to Moon. China has not.
b. Both Russia and US have sent missions to Mars. China has not.
c. Both Russia and US make their own jet engines. China still lacks the technology.
d. Both Russia and US have excellent remote sensing technologies. China does not.
(The list is long.)

So China has a long way to go before it can claim itself to be a superpower and throw its weight around.

I am not talking about Chinese Americans. I am talking about people from China......

Your stand has no basis to stand. People in China do not have access to uncensored media outlets. Even seemingly non political things like dropbox are banned in China. Any political narrative in China is tightly controlled by Chinese Communist Party. There are some rebels there who risk their lives and freedom in defying Chinese Communist Party imposed censorship but for the majority of Chinese people Chinese Communist Party propaganda is their only source of information.

Let us assume that I have not met even a single Chinese person in my entire life. How does that negate Chinese censorship which deprives Chinese people from obtaining news that present a non-Chinese view? For your information, China's censorship is very well documented. It is not a secret to even Chinese people who are at the receiving end of it.

Let us assume that I have not met even a single Chinese person in my entire life. How does that negate Chinese censorship which deprives Chinese people from obtaining news that present a non-Chinese view? For your information, China's censorship is very well documented. It is not a secret to even Chinese people who are at the receiving end of it.

And that censorship is porous and of limited effect, like most censorship historically.

And that censorship is porous and of limited effect, like most censorship historically.

Once again, the fact that Chinese imposed censorship is not 100% effective does not negate its oppressive design against common people of China. Your argument is equivalent to this: a guy sets a goal of killing 100 people but he manages to kill only 99 people. So according to your logic, since he was not able to achieve his objective completely, his actions should not be classified heinous.

Once again, the fact that Chinese imposed censorship is not 100% effective does not negate its oppressive design against common people of China. Your argument is equivalent to this: a guy sets a goal of killing 100 people but he manages to kill only 99 people. So according to your logic, since he was not able to achieve his objective completely, his actions should not be classified heinous.

That was a completely false equivalency. Whoever has hijacked your account is doing a poor job.

That was a completely false equivalency. Whoever has hijacked your account is doing a poor job.

You need to learn to support your one-liners with logic and facts.

Forum List

Back