All Eyes on China as Indian Premier Modi Heads to Vietnam

Vikrant

Gold Member
Apr 20, 2013
The U.S.
Vietnamese are in a tight spot.

---

Hanoi's need for bolstered maritime defenses against an increasingly assertive China in the territorially disputed South China Sea is expected to be high on the agenda when Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi visits Vietnam later this week.

Professor Sukh Doe Muni, fellow at the Institute for Defense Studies and Analyses in New Delhi, says the Indian leader's arrival Friday comes as "the question of South China Sea has come up in a big way."

"Narendra Modi's visit actually is the strong indication of India showing its friendship, camaraderie, solidarity with Vietnam, particularly at the time when Vietnam is facing lots of pressure in the region from China," said the former senior Indian diplomat, who once worked in Southeast Asia.

Modi's Hanoi stopover, which will make him the first Indian prime minister to visit Vietnam in over a decade, comes one day before he'll join the Group of 20 summit in Hangzhou, China.

According to Ngo Xuan Binh, director of the Institute of Indian and Southwest Asian Studies in Hanoi, defense is a key part of "traditional" Hanoi-New Delhi relations, and there are mixed reactions among the Vietnamese public.

"Some say Modi's visit to Vietnam before participating in the G20 summit shows how important Hanoi is to New Delhi, and it's also a signal to China," he said. "However, others say the visit has little impact on China, as it is a big partner of Beijing in many aspects."

All Eyes on China as Indian Premier Modi Heads to Vietnam

India and Vietnam Boost Military, Commercial Ties

HANOI—India on Saturday agreed to provide Vietnam with a $500 million loan for defense purposes, a further sign of warming ties between two countries in separate territorial disputes with China.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his Vietnamese counterpart Nguyen Xuan Phuc also announced after their meeting in Hanoi that Vietnam and India have upgraded their diplomatic relations to the level of comprehensive strategic partnership from strategic partnership.

“Our decision to upgrade our strategic partnership to a comprehensive strategic partnership will provide a new direction and momentum to our bilateral cooperation,” Mr. Modi said. “Our common efforts will also contribute to stability, security and prosperity in this region.”

The alliance between India and Vietnam is set to develop further in the wake of Mr. Modi’s visit. India is negotiating to sell supersonic Brahmos cruise missiles to Vietnam, a deal that might also include the stationing of Indian technicians there to maintain the hardware.

India and Vietnam Boost Military, Commercial Ties

No we have good relations with Chinese government
I don't think we could have problems with Beijing
Ok we have some issues for Spratly Islands but it's not a big deal ;)

You have a strange view on what is called a good relation.

China and Vietnam have fought full scale border war in 1979. Also, they clashed again in 1988. Chinese have intimidated Vietnamese vessels in international waters of South China Sea on numerous occasions. The relationship between Chinese and Vietnamese is tense or else Vietnam will not be eager to procure weapons from India, USA and Russia to deploy against China.

1979 and 1988 are the past
now we have full diplomatic relations and there's no war between China and us ;)

If that is the case then why are there confrontations between Chinese and Vietnamese over Spratley Islands in South China Sea? Full diplomatic relations do not stop nations from going to war with each other.

There are some border disputes between China and us but it's not a big deal. ;)
Maybe in the future we could fix that issue
Speaking about Spratly Islands I think my government should leave them to China :)

There are some border disputes between China and us but it's not a big deal. ;)
Maybe in the future we could fix that issue
Speaking about Spratly Islands I think my government should leave them to China :)

Spratly Islands have historically belonged to Vietnam. It is China which should abandon its claim on Spratly Islands; after that, I think China and Vietnam have potential for a good relation.

BTW, what you call minor clashes was a full scale invasion of Vietnam by China. Even today Chinese engage in boar like behavior towards Vietnamese ships including non-military ships in South China Sea.

China is a superpower. They are not gonna leave the Spratly Islands.
We should leave so we can improve our relations with them ;)

Why do you think China is a super power? Is it because they to this date cannot manufacture jet engines? :)

China is a super power because they have a powerful army and because they're so big!
We're a little country compared to them :)
We should be prudent with them ;)

Being big does not make you a superpower. China is way too backward technologically to be considered a superpower. China is bigger than Vietnam but that does not mean Vietnam should roll over and start surrendering its territory to China. There are quite a few things that Vietnam can do to successfully stand up to China. It is China which is belligerent with all its neighbors (except N Korea and Pakistan) so it is China which needs to see virtue in being prudent to its neighbors Vietnam, Japan, Philippines, etc. Your statement that Vietnam should surrender Spratly Islands to China is a view of Chinese Communist Party. It is not the view of people of Vietnam that Vietnam should surrender Spratly Islans to China.

Many people here think our problems with China should be fixed leaving Spratly to them.
Our government always says "Spratly Islands are ours" but many people think this is not the right way to solve this problem :)
Maybe we could rule Spratly Islands together: half for us and half for them :)

Many people here think our problems with China should be fixed leaving Spratly to them.
Our government always says "Spratly Islands are ours" but many people think this is not the right way to solve this problem :)
Maybe we could rule Spratly Islands together: half for us and half for them :)

I have never come across a single Vietnamese that wants to surrender Spratly Islands to China. Vietnamese people overwhelmingly support Vietnamese government's claim on Spratly Islands.

Some of my friends and other people I know think we should leave Spratly Islands but they can't say that here because our governement doesn't want to. Other people support our government's policy of course.
To me the best way should be some kind of agreement with Chinese about splitting the Spratly in two.
We can have half Spratly Islands and they can have their half
So everybody will be happy :)

Some of my friends and other people I know think we should leave Spratly Islands but they can't say that here because our governement doesn't want to. Other people support our government's policy of course.
To me the best way should be some kind of agreement with Chinese about splitting the Spratly in two.

China has no legitimate claim on Spratly Islands. Even Hainan Island should be given to Vietnam.

Both Vietnam and China are communist regimes so people in neither countries are free to express their views. However, Vietnam is far less oppressive of its people than China. I have met plenty of Vietnamese that hold independent views but Chinese for the most part parrot the views of Chinese Communist Party.

The government here passed some laws in the last years.
Some crimes were repealed and you can say pretty much whatever you want but you can't discuss official policy about border disputes or death penalty for example
Anyways it's true China is more severe than Vietnam :)

Unfortunately, national governments are unlikely to ever be wise enough to accept such reasonable thinking.

Forum List

Back