Ali looks horrible

Tyson '86 KO's Ali '63 in four

Ali '65 wins the rematch over Tyson '88 by TKO in the 9th.

Tyson was the greatest fighter you ever saw. Ali was the greatest fighter who ever lived.

You wanna know what I call a man so weak that he can't even hurl a baseball off the pitcher's mound so someone else has to come and take the ball out of his hand?

If I were ever so honored to meet him I'd call him "Champ" and if he graced me with a picture of the 2 of us it would hang on my wall in the most conspicuous place possible until the day I died.

I'm not a fighting guru, but I know something about working out and being in shape.

Ali looked like he was 8-10 percent body fat. Athletes in the modern era, by far are stronger, faster, and have more endurance.

I know it's something I can never prove, but I believe many modern fighters would have put Ali down.

Today's heavyweights?

I doubt it

There are guy out there who do have more speed, power, and endurance...right?

Tyson had to get inside to be effective. Ali never allowed anyone that advantage. With a 9" reach advantage, he would have destroyed Tyson.

I never saw anyone cut through an opponent's defenses like Tyson did and his ability to counterpunch was incredible. There were times that he didn't seem to be even at all concerned about keeping his guard up. He just went at his opponent swinging. Lot of one round fights in Tyson's career.

If Ali could survive the first 4 rounds he would become the clear favorite.

Tyson didn't keep his guard up, that's why as soon as one person got past the 'badass' image thing his career fell apart.

Tyson had to get inside to be effective. Ali never allowed anyone that advantage. With a 9" reach advantage, he would have destroyed Tyson.

I never saw anyone cut through an opponent's defenses like Tyson did and his ability to counterpunch was incredible. There were times that he didn't seem to be even at all concerned about keeping his guard up. He just went at his opponent swinging. Lot of one round fights in Tyson's career.

Tyson didn't keep his guard up, that's why as soon as one person got past the 'badass' image thing his career fell apart.

You don't get to be heavy weight champ, at a record age, just because of a badass image.

Racist, misogynist, islamic, violent... but, he's an African, a now pathetic African, so I'm sure he got a big standing ovation. We expect so little from negroes.

You really think this is the place to vent your pathetic, impotent racism, douchebag? Go fuck yourself.

You don't get to be heavy weight champ, at a record age, just because of a badass image.

In large part he did. As soon as ONE person popped that balloon he was on his way to washedupville.

In his prime, Ali would have cut down Tyson in under 2 minutes.

In large part he did. As soon as ONE person popped that balloon he was on his way to washedupville.

Debatable. I'm pretty sure most would agree with me that he never really was the same fighter after his time in prison.

I think that there were a few reasons that Tyson was so successful, so quick.

He brought a highly assertive style to the ring that was a bit unorthodox for the heavyweight style.

The late 70's and early 80's were a weak era, with bums going by unilkely handles such as Holmes and Spinks walking around calling themselves "Champ".

Tyson was indeed a badass. Mr. T. and Hulk Hogan had a "Badass Image". Tyson was just a fucking badass.

Ali was more definitive for a generation than John Wayne????

Darned commies!
Way more influential than John Wayne for someone born in the mid fifties.

It's like asking 'Since lawrence Welk was on TV, why wasn't he more influential on your choices of popular music than say The Beatles?'

Last edited:
He was arrogant, a bully, and a poor sportsman to boot.

He may have been a great athlete, but cultural icon.....I don't think so.

My husband used to do some boxing when he was in the service (years ago!!!) and really looked up to Ali. It's sad to see him like this now.....not only was he a great boxer, he was a great entertainer! He knew how to piss people off and get everyone ready for the big fight!

I never cared for Tyson...i think he was a puke. But that's just my opinion!

You know I cringed at this thread title until I saw some of the video on sportscenter.
The Champ seems to be fading fast.
I watched the movie Ali (Will Smith version) for the first time recently. Ali is a true American hero and legend.

He was arrogant, a bully, and a poor sportsman to boot.

He may have been a great athlete, but cultural icon.....I don't think so.
And you must have been born way after 1975 I guess. That was the year I graduated high school and entered college. Those of us with memories of Ali in his prime understand that he was a cultural icon, in spite of your opinion.

Forum List

Back