Albania: The dark shadow of tradition and blood feuds.

Mindful

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2014
Here, there, and everywhere.
An ancient code of retaliation is forcing generations of Albanians into their own prisons.

It can be trigged by something as trivial as a dispute between neighbours or a disagreement among family; an incident that, anywhere else, might be forgotten with the passage of time or left to the authorities to resolve.

But in northern and central Albania, where an ancient code of conduct known as the kanun still regulates life for a large portion of the population, it can descend into a blood feud spanning generations and forcing entire families into confinement.

• Banned
In this day and age. It transcends politics.

And Albania wants to join the European Union.

FACTS

The Kanun is an Albanian code of behaviour that has been passed down for centuries

Comprised of 12 books and 1,262 articles, the Kanun of Leke Dukagjini was passed down orally

It is for its authorisation of retaliation killings that it has become most notorious

Once it sought to regulate blood feuds, but these aspects have been eroded, with the notion of vengeance overriding all others.

FACTS

The Kanun is an Albanian code of behaviour that has been passed down for centuries

Comprised of 12 books and 1,262 articles, the Kanun of Leke Dukagjini was passed down orally

It is for its authorisation of retaliation killings that it has become most notorious

Once it sought to regulate blood feuds, but these aspects have been eroded, with the notion of vengeance overriding all others.
Albania's a shithole. I have met some decent Albanians in Greece, but some 30% of prisoners in the country are Albanians although they are probably 2% of the population. Of course, they are Muslims.

• Banned

FACTS

Albania's a shithole. I have met some decent Albanians in Greece, but some 30% of prisoners in the country are Albanians although they are probably 2% of the population. Of course, they are Muslims.

I hadn't realised about the blood feuds. A primitive and brutal tradition surviving down the centuries. In Europe!

FACTS

I hadn't realised about the blood feuds. A primitive and brutal tradition surviving down the centuries. In Europe!
Vendettas are not that unusual. They are typical in mountainous regions with small towns with extended families who know each other well. Crete in Greece and Sicily have them as well although there they are mostly a thing of the past.

Forum List

Back