Alabama tried it and failed

The US has used migrant farm workers for many many years. And no, not all of them are undocumented. Many are US citizens.

Is there really no way to continue to support family owned and operated farms and do we really want to give up and just hand our land over to big business?

I don't.

Please watch the video and think what this means you your fellow Americans.

:night:
Get a job

he hates working

love freebies

In 2012, a study by Dr. Samuel Addy of the University of Alabama estimated that HB 56 could shrink the state's annual GDP by $11 billion or almost 6%, a result of lost sales and income taxes and fall in demand from lost consumers.

Contrary to expectation, there was been no job growth in sectors where Latinos typically work – construction, agriculture, and poultry processing.

Alabama HB 56 - Wikipedia

Last edited:
"[T]hree years after the law’s passage, few officials, including the law’s sponsors and those who voted for it, were willing to stand by the laws harsh provisions."

Laws based on ignorance, fear, and bigotry, such as Alabama’s HB 56, will always fail – and appropriately so.

Luddly they don't care if it fails, they just like the 'feeling' of even trying to force misery on other people.

Liberals want to prosecute those that hire illegal immigrants. We need to honor their wish.
I agree with that premise...........and E-Verify is a way to hire that is supposed to ensure companies or farms are hiring legal workers.

The reason farmers aren't hiring is because it is now tougher to hire illegal workers. That is all it is. You don want them hired and you got your wish.

Liberals want to prosecute those that hire illegal immigrants. We need to honor their wish.
I agree with that premise...........and E-Verify is a way to hire that is supposed to ensure companies or farms are hiring legal workers.

The reason farmers aren't hiring is because it is now tougher to hire illegal workers. That is all it is. You don want them hired and you got your wish.
I see the crops around here getting harvested. I see Mexican workers in these fields and at the Nurseries. I don't see what you are saying.

Then it goes back to the law. Alabama's laws were to ENFORCE the Federal Laws...........Nothing more or less. How do you justify a country that refuses to even obey the laws on the books. If you don't like the laws CHANGE THEM. If not........it is the governments job to enforce them.

You shouldn't pick and choose which laws you will obey. That is not the way it is supposed to work.

H-2A Temporary Agricultural Workers

ho May Qualify for H-2A Classification?
To qualify for H-2A nonimmigrant classification, the petitioner must:

• Offer a job that is of a temporary or seasonal nature.
  • Demonstrate that there are not enough U.S. workers who are able, willing, qualified, and available to do the temporary work.
  • Show that employing H-2A workers will not adversely affect the wages and working conditions of similarly employed U.S. workers.
  • Generally, submit a single valid temporary labor certification from the U.S. Department of Labor with the H-2A petition. (A limited exception to this requirement exists in certain “emergent circumstances.” See e.g., 8 CFR 214.2(h)(5)(x) for specific details.)
H-2A delays cause worker shortages in 20 states

Paper work delays have created a backlog of 30 days or more in processing H-2A guestworker visa applications at the U.S. Department of Labor and U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, he said.

DOL and USCIS both are sending documents to farmers by regular mail instead of email which is “unacceptable in 2016,” he said.

Duvall, state agriculture directors in Georgia and Michigan and farmers in Georgia, Michigan and California recently jointly expressed their alarm to media.

DOL too often fails to comply with rules requiring it to respond to farmers’ requests 30 days before crews are needed, Duvall said.

A legal way to get agricultural labor is already in place, but since it's the Government it always has a back log of applications to approve the workers states are having a shortage of workers.

So who is FAILING WHOM.................I'd say the Federal Government not being able to process the LEGAL WAY TO GET WORKERS IS THE PROBLEM.

NOT THE STATE OF ALABAMA FOR COMPLYING WITH THE LAW.

I see the crops around here getting harvested. I see Mexican workers in these fields and at the Nurseries. I don't see what you are saying.

Then it goes back to the law. Alabama's laws were to ENFORCE the Federal Laws...........Nothing more or less. How do you justify a country that refuses to even obey the laws on the books. If you don't like the laws CHANGE THEM. If not........it is the governments job to enforce them.

You shouldn't pick and choose which laws you will obey. That is not the way it is supposed to work.

Like Arizona being told by the Feds not to enforce federal law? It's a joke, the laws are to hurt the middle class and down, the people with money do what they want.

Like Arizona being told by the Feds not to enforce federal law? It's a joke, the laws are to hurt the middle class and down, the people with money do what they want.
Under which administration....and show me the article backing that up.

Our Government is soooooo danged mismanaged is the main point I'm getting at. Fixing that is the problem, not States that comply with the law. By Nature it IS A LAW.......and that should be the proper course anyway.

I'm tired of people complaining over those who obey the law saying they are the problem, when the opposite is the truth.

If the Fed is broken getting the workers then that is where the complaints need to go. Fix that and stop saying it's ok to violate the law.

Losses grow for Georgia farmers waiting on feds to OK foreign workers

Many Georgia farmers appear to be falling victim to whatever is causing the agency to see its record of processing applications fall from the first to the second quarter. The impact, however, is farmers following the rules and watching their crops die.

“An American producer is abiding by the law (and) our government is failing them,” Black said.

Goodman, the Homerville blueberry farmer, is in a race against the clock. Every week the price of blueberries falls as the end of the annual harvest nears. The highest prices have already come and gone, he said.

“Every day you’re not getting your blueberries picked you’re losing money,” he said. “We’re on the cusp of not being able to harvest the crop. If we don’t get some help by the end of this week, we’re probably going to have to try and pick it by machines, and that’s not ideal at all.”

Machine pickers are not suited to picking delicate blueberries. A lot of the fruit ends up squished or on the ground. Eason, the Alma farmer, estimates using a machine would cost him 25 percent of his crop.

AS I ALREADY SAID. The Government is the problem and the failure for those WHO TRY TO GET LABOR LEGALLY. RIDICULOUS.

Under which administration....and show me the article backing that up.

Our Government is soooooo danged mismanaged is the main point I'm getting at. Fixing that is the problem, not States that comply with the law. By Nature it IS A LAW.......and that should be the proper course anyway.

I'm tired of people complaining over those who obey the law saying they are the problem, when the opposite is the truth.

If the Fed is broken getting the workers then that is where the complaints need to go. Fix that and stop saying it's ok to violate the law.

Justice Department sues Arizona over immigration law

Actually I don't see that. Some farmers here in California are even offering up to $16/hour because there is a shortage of illegal farm workers.
Especially with the abundance of water this year they are expecting a very high yield in harvest. We might even stop buying avocados from Mexico.
BUT ------ if they can't find enough farm workers there will be a lots of rotten vegetables and fruits.

As I previously posted over and over on separate threads after threads with the same topic.
I know total of 3 republican farmers--------- 2 here in California one located in Central Valley one in Delano California and one in Arizona.
If they CANNOT find enough workers they will shut it down and that goes with the rest of other farmers. It's that simple.
Now if you think feeding your families are expensive now and poor Americans are suffering due to high cost of living. Think how much this lettuce cost without these illegals. Not $0.25, not $1.00 but more ----------- because we have to buy them from China or Mexico. That goes with the rest of produce and most of meat and poultry products.

IMG_1198.JPG

The US has used migrant farm workers for many many years. And no, not all of them are undocumented. Many are US citizens.

Is there really no way to continue to support family owned and operated farms and do we really want to give up and just hand our land over to big business?

I don't.

And farms and companies can sponsor workers to come here and work so I can see more houses around here with 20 Mexicans living in a 2 bedroom shack up house. Just down the road from me. Right now there is a trend to hire employees through TEMP AGENCIES IN MEXICO via legal means. What's the dang problem with that.

What's the problem with that? Hiring farm workers from Mexico or other countries cost more because you have to feed and house them ------- meaning LESS profit. Plus you have to corral them so they don't ESCAPE.
What is the point in going to that route --------- when they can hire illegals that are ALREADY here. They don't have to feed and house them ------ plus from their earnings they can sustain themselves instead of depending from welfare.
What's the problem with that?

I don't.

And farms and companies can sponsor workers to come here and work so I can see more houses around here with 20 Mexicans living in a 2 bedroom shack up house. Just down the road from me. Right now there is a trend to hire employees through TEMP AGENCIES IN MEXICO via legal means. What's the dang problem with that.

What's the problem with that? Hiring farm workers from Mexico or other countries cost more because you have to feed and house them ------- meaning LESS profit. Plus you have to corral them so they don't ESCAPE.
What is the point in going to that route --------- when they can hire illegals that are ALREADY here. They don't have to feed and house them ------ plus from their earnings they can sustain themselves instead of depending from welfare.
What's the problem with that?
The problem is getting enough workers at a wage that will allow you to make a profit when you sell your crops. The department of labor puts the percent of illegal immigrant farm workers at 53%. Growers and labor unions put that number at 70%. Even a loss of 10% of their workforce will create serious problems.

American farmers are competing globally as well as nationally. Growers in other states, Canada, Mexico, and Central and South American are growing the same crops.

Illegal immigrants benefit the U.S. economy

Forum List

Back