Airports Can Go Back to Private Screeners

5stringJeff

Sep 15, 2003
Puyallup, WA
About time for this, IMO. Federalizing airport security was a ridiculous step after 9/11.

By LESLIE MILLER, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - Airports that want to replace government security screeners with privately employed workers can do so by early next summer, the Bush administration told Congress on Thursday.

Thomas Blank, assistant administrator at the Transportation Security Administration, told the Senate aviation subcommittee that airports will have three options: remain in the federal system, use a private contractor to hire and train screeners, or run the screening themselves. They can apply for a change in November.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...p/20040624/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/airport_security

Originally posted by gop_jeff
About time for this, IMO. Federalizing airport security was a ridiculous step after 9/11.

By LESLIE MILLER, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - Airports that want to replace government security screeners with privately employed workers can do so by early next summer, the Bush administration told Congress on Thursday.

Thomas Blank, assistant administrator at the Transportation Security Administration, told the Senate aviation subcommittee that airports will have three options: remain in the federal system, use a private contractor to hire and train screeners, or run the screening themselves. They can apply for a change in November.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...p/20040624/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/airport_security

I agree to some degree, but what a waste of money and time. Instead of the knee jerk reaction, I think the feds/airports should have just held the screeners feet to the fire tat they had.

my brother (ex-navy, damage controlman, my heroes when we have a fire on the flight deck,, they're better at firefighting than i am) is a TSA supervisor at Reagan National in D.C. his thoughts when he got the job were (a) how long is this bad experiment going to last? (b) will we ever get near to the level of efficency israel has? (c) what kind of people will i be supervising?

answers a year later after i asked him about this via e-mail just now.

a) not much longer for some airports, probably for good in others

b) at my airport, close, but that's because in d.c. security is above all else, we told joe lieberman one of his staff members would have to stay behind because he had contraband, and joe nodded his head and went on his way... we take things ultra serious here and the people from famous to infamous to near invisible understand...other airports, apparently its getting better every month via the drills and tests they keep running on them, and i hope that keeps up.

c) most of them are ex-military or ex-police/EMS. very impressed with many of them.. ego is now my biggest headache in the workforce, not performance or ability.

back to NATO AIR: i believe federalizing it was a mistake, and the homeland security dept. has major issues my betters on the board probably know more about it, but what will we do about them?

I agree that Federalizing the Airport Screener's Was A silly Thing to do,
not quite as silly as the patriot act, Or the color terror level, Or Giveing IraQ
(One Last Chance) to avoid a war by fully disclosing all there wepons' of mass destruction, But never the less pretty silly,

I Can remember when they were first talking about it, I (think) It was the Transportation Cheif was saying How this wasn't needed, Blah, Blah, Blah
Because It was going to mean Paying the people more and they just wern't worth it. They would unionize , Start thinking there someone special,
they would have to hire leagal worker's, Why do that when they could keep wizzing on the one's they had?
Well we will be able to get back to normal now With a New crop Of Highly Motivated security screener's , It's all about the money :banana:

Forum List

Back