Airplane Takes Off In Only 20 Feet!

Mad Scientist

Feels Good!
Sep 15, 2008
Incredible video off the STOL (Short Take Off and Landing) competition in Alaska. The original poster labeled the video incorrectly by the way so just ignore that. It's not a Vans' prototype.

[youtube]vvkvREMU228&feature=related[/youtube]

The first aircraft taking off is either an Aviat Husky or a Piper Super Cub, can't really tell for sure. Maybe someone from the board can help?
The aircraft landing is definitely a Maule M-5. I flew in one while in formation with an AT-6 a few years ago. The plane is fabric covered so it's fairly loud, like being inside a rock bands' drum kit!

Last edited:
My husband said he is 99% sure it's a piper super cub with a 180hp Lycoming.

My husband said he is 99% sure it's a piper super cub with a 180hp Lycoming.

I agree, the really long fuselage and the shape of the vertical stabilizer certainly looks like a Super Cub. Paint jobs can make aircraft look different but this looks like a Cub and the performance would indicate a 180 hp. The second plane is a Maule, they have a very distinctive vertical stabilizer, looks like an older model.

My brother and I are rebuilding a 1949 Piper Clipper, we tore it down to the frame and are now putting it back together with everything new from the pulleys to the leather interior. It originally had a 115 horsepower motor, we're putting in a 150 Lycoming, better climbing capabilities and higher cruising altitude. It should still be pretty economical to fly, about 7-8 gallons per hour of car gas at cruise...... 135-150 mph.
This is one like it with my choice for the paint job but we aren't agreed on that yet. This plane is actually orange and red, I changed the color in Photoshop.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back