Airplane Takes Off In Only 20 Feet!

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Mad Scientist, May 3, 2009.

1. Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist Feels Good!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,148
    Incredible video off the STOL (Short Take Off and Landing) competition in Alaska. The original poster labeled the video incorrectly by the way so just ignore that. It's not a Vans' prototype.

[youtube]vvkvREMU228&feature=related[/youtube]

The first aircraft taking off is either an Aviat Husky or a Piper Super Cub, can't really tell for sure. Maybe someone from the board can help?
    The aircraft landing is definitely a Maule M-5. I flew in one while in formation with an AT-6 a few years ago. The plane is fabric covered so it's fairly loud, like being inside a rock bands' drum kit!

Last edited: May 3, 2009
  2. WillowTree

WillowTree Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,130
    My husband said he is 99% sure it's a piper super cub with a 180hp Lycoming.

3. sitarro

sitarro Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,002
    I agree, the really long fuselage and the shape of the vertical stabilizer certainly looks like a Super Cub. Paint jobs can make aircraft look different but this looks like a Cub and the performance would indicate a 180 hp. The second plane is a Maule, they have a very distinctive vertical stabilizer, looks like an older model.

My brother and I are rebuilding a 1949 Piper Clipper, we tore it down to the frame and are now putting it back together with everything new from the pulleys to the leather interior. It originally had a 115 horsepower motor, we're putting in a 150 Lycoming, better climbing capabilities and higher cruising altitude. It should still be pretty economical to fly, about 7-8 gallons per hour of car gas at cruise...... 135-150 mph.
    This is one like it with my choice for the paint job but we aren't agreed on that yet. This plane is actually orange and red, I changed the color in Photoshop.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 4, 2009