Air Shows Are Thrilling

GREAT PICS!

I just attended the Homestead Air Force Base Air Show last weekend. I took my wife and my son. I thought my son would love it because he loves going past the airport and seeing the planes take off and taxi.

Bad idea. Worst idea ever!!!

We got there and he saw a P51 go by and was all smiles.

About 30 min later an F-18 went by doing close to Mach about 500 feet off the ground and well let's just say the reaction wasn't pretty. Blue Angels weren't there but the Thunderbirds were.

Unofrtunately I had to go because my son couldn't take the sound :(. I did luckily get to see the P-51, F-18 and F-15.

I missed the Thunderbird and the B2 Spirit they had there :(

Now I know next year to leave the kiddie at home

I have some photos around here somewhere of air shows i went to in the past. including the confederate air force. my mom helped build the B-25 mitchell bomber. we took her to and air show. she climbed in one and starting showing us all the stuff she installed. there were also to WW2 vets who flew one. they shook her hand. she had a ball :lol:

Two P51's, F15, Lightning? Awesome.

Yea, that P-38 is called Glacier Girl, recovered from under 200 feet of ice and rebuilt. This site tell the story and has some beautiful footage.

Glacier Girl - The Lost Squadron (Recovery of a P-38 from beneath a Greenland ice cap)
Sweet! I saw a documentary about that. Can't belive they got her airworthy so quickly.

GREAT PICS!

I just attended the Homestead Air Force Base Air Show last weekend. I took my wife and my son. I thought my son would love it because he loves going past the airport and seeing the planes take off and taxi.

About 30 min later an F-18 went by doing close to Mach about 500 feet off the ground and well let's just say the reaction wasn't pretty. Blue Angels weren't there but the Thunderbirds were.

Unofrtunately I had to go because my son couldn't take the sound :(. I did luckily get to see the P-51, F-18 and F-15.

ear.jpg

Two P51's, F15, Lightning? Awesome.

Yea, that P-38 is called Glacier Girl, recovered from under 200 feet of ice and rebuilt. This site tell the story and has some beautiful footage.

Glacier Girl - The Lost Squadron (Recovery of a P-38 from beneath a Greenland ice cap)
Sweet! I saw a documentary about that. Can't belive they got her airworthy so quickly.

GREAT PICS!

ear.jpg

good luck putting those on a 3 year old with autism

Kee Bird -B-29 Frozen in Time

The Kee Bird was an American B-29-95-BW Superfortress, 45-21768, of the 46th/72d Reconnaissance Squadrons, that became marooned after making an emergency landing in northwest Greenland during a secret Cold War spying mission on 21 February 1947. Although the entire crew was safely evacuated, after spending three days in the isolated Arctic tundra, the aircraft itself was left at the landing site. It lay there undisturbed until 1994, when a privately-funded mission was launched to repair and return it.

After months of painstaking work on the aircraft and setbacks such as the death of the mission's chief engineer, the repairs were completed and the aircraft prepared to take off from a frozen lake nearby on 21 May 1995. As it was taxiing to its takeoff position, however, a fire broke out inside the rear fuselage, from an auxiliary power unit mounted there, and quickly engulfed the whole fuselage. The entire crew on board escaped unharmed, but the Kee Bird's fuselage and tail surfaces were completely destroyed. When the lake thawed in the spring, the wreckage (with nearly intact wing panels and engines) sank to the bottom, where it now lies.

The attempted repair and return of the Kee Bird was documented in the 1996 NOVA television episode "B-29 Frozen in Time".

KeeBirdInLakeBig.jpg

The Kee Bird in 1994 on the lake. Photo taken prior to recovery attempt.

3151pu0.jpg

usairp7.gif

usairp6.gif

28h0kli.jpg

I saw this nova program when it aired. what a shame. it was like watching your team lose in the closing seconds of the game.

497999654_434c202632_b_640x411.jpg

she's a combat vet. I took the tour of her when she was here at the downtown airport many years ago. I hope she's still around

[youtube]4hXahtZkk9E[/youtube]​

Forum List

Back