Air Force Backs Down, Drops 'so Help Me God' Requirement In Oath

Setting off yet another scandal, the United States Air Force Academy (USAFA) has hired and promoted "ex-gay" cure advocate, Dr. Michael Rosebush, USAFA 1975, as a staff member for the Academy's Center of Character and Leadership Development.

Since its establishment in 1954, the Academy has been plagued with cheating scandals in 1965, 1967,1972, 1984, 2004, 2007 and 2012. In 2003, female cadets claimed they were being sexually harassed and assaulted by upperclassmen. Even after an investigation and the implementation of a sexual assault prevention program, the number of reported sexual assaults increased in 2010 and 2011. The following year, three cadets where charged with rape.

In contrast to these "moral" scandals it has been claims of "religious persecution" at the Academy that has recently been in the public eye. In 2005, a number of cadets alleged that conservative Christian upperclassman and staff used their positions of authority to proselytize their subordinates and students. After an investigation, it was discovered there was official Academy sponsorship of the showing of the Mel Gibsonfilm "The Passion of the Christ." Anti-Semitic slurs went unpunished. In another affront, a banner was found in a locker room stating cadet athletes played for "Team Jesus." In spite of corrective action on the part of the Academy, in 2010, a survey of cadets found that 41% who were not Christian claimed to have been subjected to unwanted proselytizing.

Against this backdrop, the hiring of Dr. Rosebush is inconceivable. Those vetting him at the Academy knew - or should have known - Dr. Rosebush's reparative therapy background in 2009, when it considered him for a position on the Academy staff as an analyst in the Plans and Programs Office. Dr. Rosebush is an Academy graduate and received his PhD in Counseling Psychology from the University of North Carolina in 1989.

More: U.S. Air Force Academy -- It Doesn t Get Better Tom Carpenter

The Air Force needs to clean up its act.

Shut the fuck up.

Are you to stupid to realize that you are advocating removing the rights of those in the AF who are Christians?

You don't have the freedom to never hear from a Christian you moron. You have the freedom to believe as you choose, and nothing else.

You may well and truly be the stupidest fucking person I've ever come across.

No it doesn't.

They're trying to remove the rights of the NON-christians.

Why is it that RWs are always against the First Amendment?

What rights are removed if a Christian tells you about God Luddy?

Mine.

You're welcome to anything you want to believe, whatever makes it possible for you to come out from under the bed every morning but so am I.

I won't preach to you and I expect the same courtesy from you.

Why is that so hard for "christians" to understand?

1340819070527_9323674_1__zps266e0bcd.png

322897_zpse58c2882.png

It's a courtesy not to preach to others, I agree. But you have no "Right" not to be preached to son. I mean come on this is common sense.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

In fact, I could EASILY make the argument that any law that prevented me from "preaching" to you was prohibiting my right to freely exercise my religion.

You don't get to just make up laws as you go along because someone annoys you. The COTUS in NOWAY protects you from ME violating your rights.

You don't get to have it both ways. Your rights end where mine begin.

This is exactly why I close the door in your faces.

Get off my front porch.

Is "Islam" a religion?

Why do the USMB "god haters" always attack Christians, but never Moslems?

Because military proselytizers aren't trying to convert soldiers to Islam.

Saying "so help me god" is proselytizing? For which religion?
You do know that "ALLAH" means GOD in Arabic?
Why do you think it is acceptable to make a person who does not believe in god have to say "so help me god" as an oath? Are you encouraging lying?

Shameful.
Why? You approve of people lying when they give the oath?

No, I don't approve of your behavior "Commander"
Ah...again following me around into threads not about me or you...and deflecting to a personal attack on me.

I guess you cannot get me out of your mind. :D

You are aware that I was in the thread first, and thus you followed ME in right?

Good Lord.

Shameful.

Ah...again following me around into threads not about me or you...and deflecting to a personal attack on me.

You are aware that I was in the thread first, and thus you followed ME in right?

Good Lord.
When did I talk about you to you instead of the thread topic? Kindly point that out.

Shameful.

Good Lord.
When did I talk about you to you instead of the thread topic? Kindly point that out.

you claimed i followed YOU into the thread, that was a lie.

Good evening.

Commander

Shut the fuck up.

Are you to stupid to realize that you are advocating removing the rights of those in the AF who are Christians?

You don't have the freedom to never hear from a Christian you moron. You have the freedom to believe as you choose, and nothing else.

You may well and truly be the stupidest fucking person I've ever come across.

No it doesn't.

They're trying to remove the rights of the NON-christians.

Why is it that RWs are always against the First Amendment?

What rights are removed if a Christian tells you about God Luddy?

Mine.

You're welcome to anything you want to believe, whatever makes it possible for you to come out from under the bed every morning but so am I.

I won't preach to you and I expect the same courtesy from you.

Why is that so hard for "christians" to understand?

1340819070527_9323674_1__zps266e0bcd.png

322897_zpse58c2882.png

It's a courtesy not to preach to others, I agree. But you have no "Right" not to be preached to son. I mean come on this is common sense.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

In fact, I could EASILY make the argument that any law that prevented me from "preaching" to you was prohibiting my right to freely exercise my religion.

You don't get to just make up laws as you go along because someone annoys you. The COTUS in NOWAY protects you from ME violating your rights.

You don't get to have it both ways. Your rights end where mine begin.

This is exactly why I close the door in your faces.

Get off my front porch.

And that's fine, but you don't get to pass laws telling me I can't try to tell you about God.

Good Lord.

Good evening.

Commander

This is what I said. Now....kindly show where I made this thread about YOU before you made it about ME.

Good Lord.

Good evening.

Commander

This is what I said. Now....kindly show where I made this thread about YOU before you made it about ME.

Stop derailing , Commander.

So...here's a thought...if one MAKES an atheist say "so help me god" as a binding part of the oath....and they don't believe in this so-called god.....does that make the oath invalid?

So...here's a thought...if one MAKES an atheist say "so help me god" as a binding part of the oath....and they don't believe in this so-called god.....does that make the oath invalid?
I guess it is alright to force gay down our throats but just mention God and the unholy street crying like little girls.

That's an interesting question.

When a person lies to get into the sevice, DOES it make their service less honorable?

Forum List

Back