Air Force Backs Down, Drops 'so Help Me God' Requirement In Oath

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
Airmen who enlist or reenlist in the United States Air Force will no longer have to say the phrase “so help me God” as part of a required oath, the agency announced on Wednesday.

According to USA Today, the Air Force faced pressure to change the policy from the American Humanist Association, which threatened to sue them on behalf of an airman who was not allowed to reenlist because he would not say the phrase. The Air Force allowed those who took the oath to omit the phrase until late last year, but then began requiring all airmen to take the full oath, the Washington Post reported.

In a statement, Secretary of the Air Force Deborah Lee James said the changes to the Air Force policy were effective immediately.

Air Force Will No Longer Require 'So Help Me God' In Enlistment Oaths

I applaud their decision.

Airmen who enlist or reenlist in the United States Air Force will no longer have to say the phrase “so help me God” as part of a required oath, the agency announced on Wednesday.

According to USA Today, the Air Force faced pressure to change the policy from the American Humanist Association, which threatened to sue them on behalf of an airman who was not allowed to reenlist because he would not say the phrase. The Air Force allowed those who took the oath to omit the phrase until late last year, but then began requiring all airmen to take the full oath, the Washington Post reported.

In a statement, Secretary of the Air Force Deborah Lee James said the changes to the Air Force policy were effective immediately.

I still do not trust the Air Force leadership, particularly at the academy level.

Trust the RWs to be against the First Amendment.

The airman will be hassled and driven out by the fundies. Count on it.

I still do not trust the Air Force leadership, particularly at the academy level.

The AF Academy has been completely infiltrated by fundie nutters.

Its scary because, just like we see here, they have no respect for the First Amendment.

Horrifying documentary about it -- they actually have vans come get cadets and if you don't go with them, you're harassed and don't get promoted.

Setting off yet another scandal, the United States Air Force Academy (USAFA) has hired and promoted "ex-gay" cure advocate, Dr. Michael Rosebush, USAFA 1975, as a staff member for the Academy's Center of Character and Leadership Development.

Since its establishment in 1954, the Academy has been plagued with cheating scandals in 1965, 1967,1972, 1984, 2004, 2007 and 2012. In 2003, female cadets claimed they were being sexually harassed and assaulted by upperclassmen. Even after an investigation and the implementation of a sexual assault prevention program, the number of reported sexual assaults increased in 2010 and 2011. The following year, three cadets where charged with rape.

In contrast to these "moral" scandals it has been claims of "religious persecution" at the Academy that has recently been in the public eye. In 2005, a number of cadets alleged that conservative Christian upperclassman and staff used their positions of authority to proselytize their subordinates and students. After an investigation, it was discovered there was official Academy sponsorship of the showing of the Mel Gibsonfilm "The Passion of the Christ." Anti-Semitic slurs went unpunished. In another affront, a banner was found in a locker room stating cadet athletes played for "Team Jesus." In spite of corrective action on the part of the Academy, in 2010, a survey of cadets found that 41% who were not Christian claimed to have been subjected to unwanted proselytizing.

Against this backdrop, the hiring of Dr. Rosebush is inconceivable. Those vetting him at the Academy knew - or should have known - Dr. Rosebush's reparative therapy background in 2009, when it considered him for a position on the Academy staff as an analyst in the Plans and Programs Office. Dr. Rosebush is an Academy graduate and received his PhD in Counseling Psychology from the University of North Carolina in 1989.

More: U.S. Air Force Academy -- It Doesn t Get Better Tom Carpenter

The Air Force needs to clean up its act.

Setting off yet another scandal, the United States Air Force Academy (USAFA) has hired and promoted "ex-gay" cure advocate, Dr. Michael Rosebush, USAFA 1975, as a staff member for the Academy's Center of Character and Leadership Development.

Since its establishment in 1954, the Academy has been plagued with cheating scandals in 1965, 1967,1972, 1984, 2004, 2007 and 2012. In 2003, female cadets claimed they were being sexually harassed and assaulted by upperclassmen. Even after an investigation and the implementation of a sexual assault prevention program, the number of reported sexual assaults increased in 2010 and 2011. The following year, three cadets where charged with rape.

In contrast to these "moral" scandals it has been claims of "religious persecution" at the Academy that has recently been in the public eye. In 2005, a number of cadets alleged that conservative Christian upperclassman and staff used their positions of authority to proselytize their subordinates and students. After an investigation, it was discovered there was official Academy sponsorship of the showing of the Mel Gibsonfilm "The Passion of the Christ." Anti-Semitic slurs went unpunished. In another affront, a banner was found in a locker room stating cadet athletes played for "Team Jesus." In spite of corrective action on the part of the Academy, in 2010, a survey of cadets found that 41% who were not Christian claimed to have been subjected to unwanted proselytizing.

Against this backdrop, the hiring of Dr. Rosebush is inconceivable. Those vetting him at the Academy knew - or should have known - Dr. Rosebush's reparative therapy background in 2009, when it considered him for a position on the Academy staff as an analyst in the Plans and Programs Office. Dr. Rosebush is an Academy graduate and received his PhD in Counseling Psychology from the University of North Carolina in 1989.

Shut the fuck up.

Are you to stupid to realize that you are advocating removing the rights of those in the AF who are Christians?

You don't have the freedom to never hear from a Christian you moron. You have the freedom to believe as you choose, and nothing else.

You may well and truly be the stupidest fucking person I've ever come across.

So Much For Religious People Being More Righteous

So much for religious people being more righteous than non-believers.

Sure-to-be-controversial new research shows that religious and non-religious people are equally likely to misbehave. The only difference between the groups is that religious people show stronger emotional reactions to moral and immoral deeds.

“To our knowledge, it’s the first study that directly assesses how morality plays out in people’s everyday lived experience,” Dr. Linda Skitka, a psychologist at the University of Illinois at Chicago and the co-author of a paper describing the research, said in a written statement.

For the study, a team of researchers, led by psychologist Prof. Dr. Wilhelm Hofmannof the University of Cologne in Cologne, Germany, recruited 1,252 men and women between the ages of 18 and 68. The study participants, all of whom were from the U.S. or Canada, completed an initial survey to indicate their level of religiosity -- from "not at all" to "very much." The survey also showed where the men and women fell on the political spectrum, from "very liberal" to "very conservative."

More: So Much For Religious People Being More Righteous

This study basically proves my lifelong thoughts on religion. My dad always told me to keep one hand on my wallet when a preacher was nearby.

So Much For Religious People Being More Righteous

So much for religious people being more righteous than non-believers.

Sure-to-be-controversial new research shows that religious and non-religious people are equally likely to misbehave. The only difference between the groups is that religious people show stronger emotional reactions to moral and immoral deeds.

“To our knowledge, it’s the first study that directly assesses how morality plays out in people’s everyday lived experience,” Dr. Linda Skitka, a psychologist at the University of Illinois at Chicago and the co-author of a paper describing the research, said in a written statement.

For the study, a team of researchers, led by psychologist Prof. Dr. Wilhelm Hofmannof the University of Cologne in Cologne, Germany, recruited 1,252 men and women between the ages of 18 and 68. The study participants, all of whom were from the U.S. or Canada, completed an initial survey to indicate their level of religiosity -- from "not at all" to "very much." The survey also showed where the men and women fell on the political spectrum, from "very liberal" to "very conservative."

More: So Much For Religious People Being More Righteous

This study basically proves my lifelong thoughts on religion. My dad always told me to keep one hand on my wallet when a preacher was nearby.

How is that relevant to this thread?

Shut the fuck up.

Are you to stupid to realize that you are advocating removing the rights of those in the AF who are Christians?

You don't have the freedom to never hear from a Christian you moron. You have the freedom to believe as you choose, and nothing else.

You may well and truly be the stupidest fucking person I've ever come across.

No it doesn't.

They're trying to remove the rights of the NON-christians.

Why is it that RWs are always against the First Amendment?

Forum List

Back