Ailing 'Dr. Death' to leave prison

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Gunny, May 28, 2007.

1. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    cont ... http://www.cnn.com/2007/LAW/05/28/kevorkian.release.ap/index.html

Is it back to "business as usual," or is he looking for an assist for himself?

2. William Joyce

William Joyce Chemotherapy for PC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    I'm a little torn on Dr. Jack. Mostly against, but...

It is true that modern medicine has made the extension of biological life, exclusive of all other considerations, into a sort of medical-school joke. Keeping someone with no brain alive for decades is no more respectful of human life than a partial-birth abortion. "Respect for life" involves a tricky balance between keeping it going and letting it end.

But in most cases, I think nature should take the wheel in ending life instead of humans. If you're still alive, God has something in mind for you.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. mattskramer

mattskramer Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +359
    Okay. Correct me if I am wrong. You think that an elderly man of 95 in severe pain due to an incurable disease but of sound mind and wishing to be put to death but without the strength to kill himself should be forced to go on living.

In most cases, provided the subject is an adult of sound mind, he should decide for himself. Whose life is it anyway? If God exists, he, she, it, or they will decide if the subject was correct.

4. Truthmatters

Truthmatters BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    So this william charactor believes in God?

Wow I guess hes going to have God pretty pissed at him for talking shit aobut his creations.

Maybe hes an old time Morman who believes Black people can only get to heaven as slaves to whites?

5. mattskramer

mattskramer Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +359
    I know what you mean. He also nearly stepped into the natural law fallacy. Let’s let nature take its course. Tell that to a young man struggling with cancer. Perhaps god intended the young man to get cancer. After all, cancer is practically a natural part of life. If you live long enough, you will likely get cancer. Some people get it sooner than other people get it. Look. Nature does not know right from wrong. It merely tells you what is. On the other hand I’d recommend that he try radiation treatment, chemotherapy drugs, and a host of other man-made un-natural treatments.

6. William Joyce

William Joyce Chemotherapy for PC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    If he's in "severe pain" at 95 because of an "incurable" disease, he's not going to last long. I say give him heavy doses of pain medication until he passes on. The act of committing suicide is an extreme measure. I'm not saying I'd categorically ban it, I'm just saying it's extreme and Dr. Jack tended to treat it as something everyone's entitled to.

7. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,985
    There are a lot of reasons "suicide" should not be a "right" and most especially why it should be illegal to HELP someone kill themselves. Euthenasia is another problem...

A society that allows these things to happen and makes them legal is on its last legs.

8. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,432
    One could also say we're kinder to our pets than we are to our people.