AIG bailout: Taxpayers profit $15.1 billion

A123 the company that received $250 billion of stimulus money just went bankrupt.

+$15 billion for AIG
-$250 billion for A123

How so??

The power is not specifically granted in the constitution..

And please.. before you make an ass out of yourself.. no citing Article 1 Section 8 and leaving off everything after the word 'welfare'

You really don't understand the Constitution or how it works, do you?

Let me be brief: Congress has the Constitutional power to pass any law it so chooses, so long as that law does not violate the Constitution. Congress long ago gave the Executive branch the authority to do what it did with AIG.

That makes it Constitutional.

No.. it does NOT.. see article 1 section 8.... the powers of congress are LIMITED and SPECIFIC.... and if they do something not specifically listed, it is in direct violation of the constitution... please see the 10th amendment

The executive branch's powers are also SPECIFICALLY listed...

Go educate yourself

Idiot

You're a fucking moron. Where in TARP did the executive branch usurp any States rights?

Yes.. by all means.. suspend the constitution whenever you 'feel' 'desperate' :rolleyes:

Define the suspension of the Constitution.

Describe what you would have done instead. AIG was in collapse, and did not have the capital to pay off around a trillion dollars in credit default swaps. If they didn't, a literal chain reaction would have taken place in banks across the country and around the world, all of whom held that paper.

Thanks.

If a business is not allowed to fail, that is not capitalism.

Not only did Wall Street get to be rescued from their failures, they were given trillions in cash with no strings attached. No repercussions. No fraudsters in prison. No changes in their practices.

AIG should have been propped up long enough to wind it down in an orderly fashion and shutter its doors.

Don't worry. A much better managed company would have come along to replace them. That's how real capitalism works.

And that CDS paper of which you speak? The holders of that paper received 100 cents on the dollar. Not the slightest haircut was given to them for their recklessness.

And guess who was one of the biggest holders of that paper? Goldman Sachs. Which is where Hank Paulson came from as CEO before he became SecTreas and bailed their asses out 100 percent.

Total Wall Street Bailout Cost

Last edited:

Let me be brief: Congress has the Constitutional power to pass any law it so chooses, so long as that law does not violate the Constitution. Congress long ago gave the Executive branch the authority to do what it did with AIG.

No.. it does NOT.. see article 1 section 8.... the powers of congress are LIMITED and SPECIFIC.... and if they do something not specifically listed, it is in direct violation of the constitution... please see the 10th amendment

Go educate yourself

Idiot

It's obvious you are no Constitutional scholar, so I won't bother explaining the importance of amendments and court rulings on the literal wording of the Constitution. You wouldn't get it anyhow.

SHOW THE FUCKING POWER GRANTED....... It is that fucking simple..... Here is the link to the full text
The United States Constitution - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net

Show me WHERE it is granted.... I can easily show you the list of limited and enumerated powers granted to congress... I can show you the specific powers granted to the executive.. .I can show you where it clearly shows that any power not granted to the government by the constitution is reserved for the states and/or the people respectively....

And while you are at it.. show me in the powers granted to the judicial branch where they have the power to rule on the wording of the constitution... I'll be waiting

You are the one who is obviously no constitutional scholar... and you have pretty much shown you do not have even a general knowledge of the constitution

Last edited:

Go educate yourself

Idiot

You're a fucking moron. Where in TARP did the executive branch usurp any States rights?

The minute it took upon itself a power that is not specifically granted to the federal government via the constitution... any power not specifically granted that is taken or used by the fed, is in direct violation of the 10th amendment

Describe what you would have done instead. AIG was in collapse, and did not have the capital to pay off around a trillion dollars in credit default swaps. If they didn't, a literal chain reaction would have taken place in banks across the country and around the world.

Thanks.

Where does the Constitution authorize the federal government to use our tax dollars to rescue failed companies?

You also say it "had to be done." Why? You assume that propping up a failed company and stopping it from going under is a good thing. In the short term, that may be true with less people losing their jobs, etc., but what about the long term effects? We'll never know which new company or existing may have been risen up to fill the hole left by AIG with a better business model. The government's actions also sent a message to company executives everywhere that if you screw up and you're "too big to fail" don't worry about it, we'll be here to bail you out.

This set a very bad precedent.

We'll never know what company might have risen from the ashes of failure, but one thing we DO know is that the entire economy did not collapse, sparing millions upon millions of people from abject poverty and literal starvation.

And, make no mistake: That is PRECISELY what would have happened if the whole worlds banking system would have collapsed.

So you think it was a better idea to slap some scotch tape on the house of cards? Why not, if we're lucky that tape will hold until after we die, as long as that house of cards doesn't collapse while I'm alive.

It looks like we were all wrong. The taxpayers will make a profit off the AIG bailout after all.

"Taxpayers will soon shed their last holdings in the American International Group, more than four years after a rescue by the federal government during the most chaotic days of the financial crisis….

…..At the time, critics feared that the company would be forced into a fire sale of assets to repay those loans, a sale that would deeply shortchange taxpayers.
Instead, the federal government has said that it expects to walk away from A.I.G. with a profit — about $15.1 billion to date, by the Treasury Department’s reckoning. That has followed both a steady stream of stock sales over the last two years and a resurgence in the insurer’s core operations….."

Bailout Over, U.S. Treasury Plans to Sell A.I.G. Shares - NYTimes.com
Yes.. by all means.. suspend the constitution whenever you 'feel' 'desperate' :rolleyes:

What....you're some kind o' anti-capitali$tic communist???!!!

:eusa_eh:

It looks like we were all wrong. The taxpayers will make a profit off the AIG bailout after all.

"Taxpayers will soon shed their last holdings in the American International Group, more than four years after a rescue by the federal government during the most chaotic days of the financial crisis….

…..At the time, critics feared that the company would be forced into a fire sale of assets to repay those loans, a sale that would deeply shortchange taxpayers.
Instead, the federal government has said that it expects to walk away from A.I.G. with a profit — about $15.1 billion to date, by the Treasury Department’s reckoning. That has followed both a steady stream of stock sales over the last two years and a resurgence in the insurer’s core operations….."

Let me ask you something.

Thanks to the financial services sector and its global derivatives bubble, we went from an unemployment rate of 4.6 percent to over 10 percent. They created millions upon millions of poorer people all over the world, and wiped out entire economies across the globe.

How many trillions do you think that cost? All that lost income. All those bankruptcies. All those destroyed lives. All that taxpayer funded stimulus money. All those taxpayer funded federal unemployment checks, food stamps, and support programs that PoliticalChic gets positively hysterical over.

What's that cost the world so far?

No one gives a fuck about a paltry few billion dollars of imaginary "profit" made during a global catastrophe. Oh, look, I found a nickel that washed up on the beach after the tsunami!

Last edited:

Go educate yourself

Idiot

It's obvious you are no Constitutional scholar, so I won't bother explaining the importance of amendments and court rulings on the literal wording of the Constitution. You wouldn't get it anyhow.

SHOW THE FUCKING POWER GRANTED....... It is that fucking simple..... Here is the link to the full text
The United States Constitution - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net

Show me WHERE it is granted.... I can easily show you the list of limited and enumerated powers granted to congress... I can show you the specific powers granted to the executive.. .I can show you where it clearly shows that any power not granted to the government by the constitution is reserved for the states and/or the people respectively....

And while you are at it.. show me in the powers granted to the judicial branch where they have the power to rule on the wording of the constitution... I'll be waiting

You are the one who is obviously no constitutional scholar... and you have pretty much shown you do not have even a general knowledge of the constitution

Commerce Clause.

Since allowing these companies to fail would have impacted commerce across the entire US the Commerce Clause is where they have the authority. At least, that's how it will be interpreted. If it worked for Obamacare it can work for this too.

Go educate yourself

Idiot

The minute it took upon itself a power that is not specifically granted to the federal government via the constitution... any power not specifically granted that is taken or used by the fed, is in direct violation of the 10th amendment

bush_republicard.jpg

What....you're some kind o' anti-capitali$tic communist???!!!

:eusa_eh:

Oh moron troll.. it is communist to have the state pick the winners and losers... it is capitalism to let the cards fall where they may...

Crawl back under your rock

Commerce Clause.

Since allowing these companies to fail would have impacted commerce across the entire US the Commerce Clause is where they have the authority. At least, that's how it will be interpreted. If it worked for Obamacare it can work for this too.

Oh.. no doubt that is what they will try and put it under.. although the power does not grant the fed the power to bail out, finance, or take over a private company

The bailout has been absolutely terrific for a small sector of our population. They have been recovering very nicely at the expense of the rest of us.

The Fed printed trillions of dollars for them, and kept the interest rate you earn on your savings down to zero for them. The ECB is bailing out Greece, and Ireland, and Spain, and Italy, and Portugal, and France (soon) for them.

It's great to be at the top of the food chain, having all that wealth redistributed up to you so you don't take any losses for your colossal fuckups.

Sucks for everyone below, though. Especially those who lost their jobs as a result of the crash, and for those who have to pay for Wall Street's losses so it doesn't have to. I'm sure the people who have been forcibly raped are jumping for joy over AIG's fortunes.

Hey! You assholes gave us back $15 billion! Woo hoo!

$15 billion used to almost mean something before the Fed put the printing presses on hyperdrive.

Last edited:

Describe what you would have done instead. AIG was in collapse, and did not have the capital to pay off around a trillion dollars in credit default swaps. If they didn't, a literal chain reaction would have taken place in banks across the country and around the world, all of whom held that paper.

Thanks.

If a business is not allowed to fail, that is not capitalism.

Not only did Wall Street get to be rescued from their failures, they were given trillions in cash with no strings attached. No repercussions. No fraudsters in prison. No changes in their practices.

AIG should have been propped up long enough to wind it down in an orderly fashion and shutter its doors.

Don't worry. A much better managed company would have come along to replace them. That's how real capitalism works.

And that CDS paper of which you speak? The holders of that paper received 100 cents on the dollar. Not the slightest haircut was given to them for their recklessness.

And guess who was one of the biggest holders of that paper? Goldman Sachs. Which is where Hank Paulson came from as CEO before he became SecTreas and bailed their asses out 100 percent.

Total Wall Street Bailout Cost

"Wall Street" encompasses thousands of individual investment and delivery entities.
Most are large industrial investment groups primarily made up of retirees, small and large business, rich and middle class Americans. They handle the collection of investment dollars from school funds, large and small business, invest it and handle the monthly delivery of those assets back to every day American citizens in the form of pensions and annuities. Every insurance product out there is also part of that mass. Claims for business, retirees, average every day Americans and every other form of claim comes out of those insurance entities that are funded with "Wall Street" investment dollars.
Sure, Wall Street fucked up but they fucked up WITH OUR $$$.
They were about to fail WITH OUR $$$.
Millions of retirees that receive small pensions and annuities would have not received anything if "Wall Street" would have failed.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back