AIG bailout: Taxpayers profit $15.1 billion

I'm thankful that those who would have "let the chips fall where they may" didn't get to make that decision. Same with the auto industry.

What kind of idiocy would let our country go down the tubes in order to hold on to ideology? Its our country. Our people. Our children's future. And, yet, you rw's wanted to see it end.

You would be happy seeing bread lines and 25% unemployment and the world financial system in collapse just so you could blame it on Obama.

I'm too practical to just throw my country away. This way, we get to grow and have a damn good chance of leaving something to our kids.

And, you rw's will make fun of me for this but I really just don't want to see "this grand experiment that is the United States" fail.

They just transfered the balance to the Federal Reserve. The Fed just keeps on buying the bad debt so AIG does not have to pay for it. This is just a scam. The Fed balance sheet is just as large as when we bailed them out.

Fed%20Balance%20Sheet%2011.25.jpg

They just transfered the balance to the Federal Reserve. The Fed just keeps on buying the bad debt so AIG does not have to pay for it. This is just a scam. The Fed balance sheet is larger than when we bailed them out.

P1-BJ466_VITALS_NS_20121210153602.jpg

It looks like we were all wrong. The taxpayers will make a profit off the AIG bailout after all.

"Taxpayers will soon shed their last holdings in the American International Group, more than four years after a rescue by the federal government during the most chaotic days of the financial crisis….

…..At the time, critics feared that the company would be forced into a fire sale of assets to repay those loans, a sale that would deeply shortchange taxpayers.
Instead, the federal government has said that it expects to walk away from A.I.G. with a profit — about $15.1 billion to date, by the Treasury Department’s reckoning. That has followed both a steady stream of stock sales over the last two years and a resurgence in the insurer’s core operations….."

Bailout Over, U.S. Treasury Plans to Sell A.I.G. Shares - NYTimes.com
And yet I and probably everyone else here won't see one dime of that 15.1 billion I feel less like the taxpayers made a profit as much as I do the government just found 15.1 billion dollars to waste.

It looks like we were all wrong. The taxpayers will make a profit off the AIG bailout after all.

"Taxpayers will soon shed their last holdings in the American International Group, more than four years after a rescue by the federal government during the most chaotic days of the financial crisis….

…..At the time, critics feared that the company would be forced into a fire sale of assets to repay those loans, a sale that would deeply shortchange taxpayers.
Instead, the federal government has said that it expects to walk away from A.I.G. with a profit — about $15.1 billion to date, by the Treasury Department’s reckoning. That has followed both a steady stream of stock sales over the last two years and a resurgence in the insurer’s core operations….."

Bailout Over, U.S. Treasury Plans to Sell A.I.G. Shares - NYTimes.com
And yet I and probably everyone else here won't see one dime of that 15.1 billion I feel less like the taxpayers made a profit as much as I do the government just found 15.1 billion dollars to waste.

Bet you have a senior relative that receives a pension or annuity.
That would have ended, no more payments, if there was no bailout.
Their payments continued and on time.
10 times more than the 15 billion.

Just imagine if we'd all bought several thousand shares back in March 2009 when it dropped below 40 cents per share. Current share price is around $35.00.

Just imagine if we'd all bought several thousand shares back in March 2009 when it dropped below 40 cents per share. Current share price is around $35.00.

Where are you getting 40 cents per share? I show $6.60 per share as the low in march 2009.

AIG did a reverse stock split you stupid ignoramus. :rolleyes:

Heh, you probably don't even know what the hell I'm even talking about.

Forum List

Back