Aids

I was only around 10 in the 80's and my mother was a nurse. Once she got the info from CDC on transmission she wasnt to0 worried. She had told us not to touch anyone else's blood or dirty needles if we found them even before AIDS was known about, so this didnt really change anything except her reminding us of it.

I grew up in NYC so I was near a large gay community, and it did seem they were more affected. Drug user deaths really didnt make the news.

In high school and College it was like any other STD, just at the time more deadly.

The problem now as I see it is people think the current drug treatment is a permanent state of affairs, and all the pushes to limit risky behavior have gone by the wayside. I loathe the day the damn bug starts changing before we get some type of vaccine.

One of the things you mention I have noticed to.

Since we have made some advancement in medicine it's as if the younger generation who grew up with aids seems to think it's a cure and I notice a more carefree attitude in lifestyle then when it first came out.

That is very very dangerous, because it ignores the fact that bugs can evolve to get around treatments.

Sure.

It's just an observation I've noticed generationally speaking in the aids era.

Lifestyle Monitor

I remember reading this fiction piece in a magazine at a doctor's office about a young American woman afflicted with AIDS who was intent on punishing society (which she saw was ignoring her illness and treating women unfairly) by infecting men with her disease through sexual contact.

The woman was roaming around New York City's nightclub scene and seeking men who were not prudent enough to take safe-sex measures during intimate contact with women.

AIDS really is a 'modern problem' and can be linked to urbanization.

When we watch violence-exploitation Hollywood (USA) movies such as "Fight Club" (1999), are we taking time to reflect on the modern media images that seem to draw us into blind consumption?

:arrow:

Category HIV AIDS in literature - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

profx.jpg

On the 25th anniversary of the first diagnosed cases of AIDS, FRONTLINE examines one of the worst pandemics the world has ever known in "The Age of AIDS." After a quarter century of political denial and social stigma, of stunning scientific breakthroughs, bitter policy battles and inadequate prevention campaigns, HIV/AIDS continues to spread rapidly throughout much of the world, particularly in developing nations. To date, some 30 million people worldwide have already died of AIDS

[ame=[MEDIA=youtube]HTFQUm9944s[/MEDIA]: The Age of AIDS [trailer] - YouTube[/ame]

Watch Online | The Age Of Aids | FRONTLINE | PBS

When do you first remember hearing about aids and what were your thoughts about it back then, what are your thoughts about it now?

Still think it was created to discourage people from having sex. The powers that be want never-ending warfare because war's big business. If people are free to love and play with each other they don't fear each other and will protest wars. If they're too afraid to have sex, that fear can be redirected into fear of others making the conduction of war much easier.

Forum List

Back