Aids

Michelle420

Diamond Member
Jan 6, 2013
The Bee Hive State
On the 25th anniversary of the first diagnosed cases of AIDS, FRONTLINE examines one of the worst pandemics the world has ever known in "The Age of AIDS." After a quarter century of political denial and social stigma, of stunning scientific breakthroughs, bitter policy battles and inadequate prevention campaigns, HIV/AIDS continues to spread rapidly throughout much of the world, particularly in developing nations. To date, some 30 million people worldwide have already died of AIDS

[ame=http://youtu.be/HTFQUm9944s]FRONTLINE: The Age of AIDS [trailer] - YouTube[/ame]

Watch Online | The Age Of Aids | FRONTLINE | PBS

When do you first remember hearing about aids and what were your thoughts about it back then, what are your thoughts about it now?

On the 25th anniversary of the first diagnosed cases of AIDS, FRONTLINE examines one of the worst pandemics the world has ever known in "The Age of AIDS." After a quarter century of political denial and social stigma, of stunning scientific breakthroughs, bitter policy battles and inadequate prevention campaigns, HIV/AIDS continues to spread rapidly throughout much of the world, particularly in developing nations. To date, some 30 million people worldwide have already died of AIDS

[ame=http://youtu.be/HTFQUm9944s]FRONTLINE: The Age of AIDS [trailer] - YouTube[/ame]

When do you first remember hearing about aids and what were your thoughts about it back then, what are your thoughts about it now?

What I heard back then was that healthcare rates would escalate at an alarming rate and that quarrantining those with aids from society (as with Typhoid Mary) would amount to a witch hunt and major lawsuits... In other words, cooperation would have been impossible to enforce.

What I heard back then was that healthcare rates would escalate at an alarming rate and that quarrantining those with aids from society (as with Typhoid Mary) would amount to a witch hunt and major lawsuits... In other words, cooperation would have been impossible to enforce.

I remember when it first came out that people thought they could catch it from mosquitoes and saliva.

FRONTLINE: The Age of AIDS [trailer] - YouTube

I remember when it first came out that people thought they could catch it from mosquitoes and saliva.

i remember it being presented as a disease that only catches homosexuals.

i remember it being presented as a disease that only catches homosexuals.

That too and then religious leaders went to the pulpit and claimed God was punishing Gays.

Then we found out that drug addicts were spreading it through needles and the blood banks were contaminated.

Pastors also were asked to inform their congregations that AIDS was not contractable through casual contact. Hugging someone with AIDS would not cause that person to contract AIDS.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LKJ5ZzzL0w&feature=share&list=PLA72803760BF58877]NBC's Earliest Report on AIDS 1982 - YouTube[/ame]

Does anybody on the left even think for themselves rather than rely on media hype and emotion. What do you think the "A" in AIDS stands for?

Does anybody on the left even think for themselves rather than rely on media hype and emotion. What do you think the "A" in AIDS stands for?

What would you like to contribute to the topic?

"Acquired". The entire crisis centers around the inability of a segment of society to freaking protect themselves from a deadly virus. Are they still engaging in deadly random acts of stupid behavior? Maybe so.

Sorry but tough luck.
AIDS is a result of sexual freedom.
If you want to shag around like dogs, accept the problems that go with it.

AIDS orphans in sub-Saharan Africa: a looming threat to future generations

While the tragedy of the HIV/AIDS epidemic has been drawing increased media attention, one the most troubling aspects of it – the long-term impact on African societies of some 11 million AIDS orphans in sub-Saharan Africa – has been featured less often.

Notice, "sub-Saharan Africa".
That's because AIDS rates in the top bit are tiny.
That, in turn, is because the majority of the top bit is Muslim.

Convert to Islam, be a good Muslim and you'll free yourself from the worry of catching AIDS.

Ryan White Dies of AIDS at 18; His Struggle Helped Pierce Myths

Ryan White, the Indiana teen-ager who put the face of a child on AIDS and served as a leader for gaining greater understanding and compassion for those with the deadly disease, died today. He was 18 years old.

Ryan, a hemophiliac who contracted the virus through a blood transfusion, died of complications of AIDS in Riley Hospital for Children, said Dr. Martin Kleiman, the youth's physician. He would not elaborate. Ryan entered the hospital on March 29 suffering from a respiratory infection.

His mother, his grandparents and the singer Elton John were with him when he died, Dr. Kleiman said.

Ryan's struggle to be accepted in a public school forced Central Indiana to grapple with difficult issues raised by the disease. Around the nation, the attendant publicity helped pierce myths about AIDS, helping health experts and educators emphasize that it is not transmitted by casual contact, that it affects people from many walks of life and that although always fatal, the infection leaves many people able to continue normal lives for years.

Ryan White Dies of AIDS at 18 - His Struggle Helped Pierce Myths - NYTimes.com

Last edited:
A generation born with HIV/AIDS defies the odds

those babies who were born with HIV/AIDS in the 1980s have defied initial expectations.

With advances in medicine, the babies born with what was once thought of as a sure-fatal virus have danced at their high school proms, walked on stage to receive their diplomas and even experienced the birth of their children.

"It's a battle -- not because the HIV is going to defeat us," said Quintara Lane, a 22-year-old student with long braids. "It's more of what we have to go through to take care of ourselves."

Lane is part of a generation that was born with the virus. Since the mid-1990s in developed countries, antiretroviral drugs have largely prevented mothers from transmitting HIV/AIDS to their babies.

A new kind of family

On a warm Florida Friday, boys in high-tops and loose jeans hanging from their thighs greet one another with a nod and then a slap on the hand. They tease relentlessly. Others pay little attention, listening to music blasting through their earbuds or texting so quickly that their thumbs appear a blur on pink, sparkly phones.

Nearly 30 young adults and teenagers who were born with HIV/AIDS meet every week at the Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami, Florida.

"The teens are teenagers," said Ana Garcia, an adjunct assistant professor in pediatric infectious disease and immunology at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine who helped form the group. "They just happen to have HIV. It's about fitting in, being normal, and having goals and living long enough to meet them."

A generation born with HIV/AIDS defies the odds - CNN

Ryan White, the Indiana teen-ager who put the face of a child on AIDS and served as a leader for gaining greater understanding and compassion for those with the deadly disease, died today. He was 18 years old.

Ryan, a hemophiliac who contracted the virus through a blood transfusion, died of complications of AIDS in Riley Hospital for Children, said Dr. Martin Kleiman, the youth's physician. He would not elaborate. Ryan entered the hospital on March 29 suffering from a respiratory infection.

His mother, his grandparents and the singer Elton John were with him when he died, Dr. Kleiman said.

Ryan's struggle to be accepted in a public school forced Central Indiana to grapple with difficult issues raised by the disease. Around the nation, the attendant publicity helped pierce myths about AIDS, helping health experts and educators emphasize that it is not transmitted by casual contact, that it affects people from many walks of life and that although always fatal, the infection leaves many people able to continue normal lives for years.

Transfer from blood supply was a small fraction of the transmission rate. The majority in the US was from male homosexual sex and IV drug use. Worldwide the major method of transmission is heterosexual sex.

The blood supply issue was rectified via testing, and asking or requiring risk groups not to donate blood. The sexual and drug transmission methods met with success in reduction for a while, but now that it is somewhat treatable you are seeing in an increase in risky behaviour and transmission.

I know you want to counter the bigots using AIDS as some "gay scourge" but the sad fact remains that the hedonistic lifestyle of a portion of the gay community was the perfect vector for this virus.

Transfer from blood supply was a small fraction of the transmission rate. The majority in the US was from male homosexual sex and IV drug use. Worldwide the major method of transmission is heterosexual sex.

The blood supply issue was rectified via testing, and asking or requiring risk groups not to donate blood. The sexual and drug transmission methods met with success in reduction for a while, but now that it is somewhat treatable you are seeing in an increase in risky behaviour and transmission.

I know you want to counter the bigots using AIDS as some "gay scourge" but the sad fact remains that the hedonistic lifestyle of a portion of the gay community was the perfect vector for this virus.

I want to have a discussion about aids.

Everyone has an opinion, if your opinion is it is a gay disease, then you state it and I suppose for you the discussion would be over. :dunno:

Anyone is at risk who has sex or inject's drugs.

In some countries if they have surgery and need a blood transfusion they could be at risk.

There are only theories on how it all got started.

The sad fact is people from all walks of life have died from AIDS and we still don't have a cure.

I am glad we have made progress in understanding you can't catch it from hugging someone with aids and you can't get it from a bug or spit. :cool:

I remember when I first became aware of it there was sheer terror in the news.

What do you remember hearing about it at first and how are things different now?

Last edited:
"To Live Is Better than to Die," a documentary about a Chinese village in which 60 percent of the population was infected with HIV in the early 1990s.

Synopsis: While the AIDS epidemic began to gradually subside in the West in the 1990s, it tragically exploded in many other parts of the world. At the dawn of the 21st century, the village of Wenlou in the Henan province of central China was especially hard hit, with 60 percent of its people testing positive for the HIV virus, largely due to faulty preventative measures taken during government-directed blood drives. Around 100,000 subsistence farmers in central China were offered a rare opportunity to earn some extra income. Through a state-organized program, they could sell their blood for money. However, due to the poor conditions of the state hospital, over half of those giving blood were infected with the HIV virus. Chinese documentary filmmaker Weijun Chen spent a year living with a family in Wenlou who were struggling with the onslaught of the disease -- only one member of the household had been spared from HIV -- and To Live Is Better Than to Die is a document not only of their battle with AIDS, but also their resolve to make the most of their lives, no matter what has cut them short.

Student Campaign for Child Survival

If anyone is interested this was a good documentary, very heart breaking though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Everyone has an opinion, if your opinion is it is a gay disease, then you state it and I suppose for you the discussion would be over. :dunno:

In some countries if they have surgery and need a blood transfusion they could be at risk.

The sad fact is people from all walks of life have died from AIDS and we still don't have a cure.

I am glad we have made progress in understanding you can't catch it from hugging someone with aids and you can't get it from a bug or spit. :cool:

What do you remember hearing about it at first and how are things different now?

I was only around 10 in the 80's and my mother was a nurse. Once she got the info from CDC on transmission she wasnt to0 worried. She had told us not to touch anyone else's blood or dirty needles if we found them even before AIDS was known about, so this didnt really change anything except her reminding us of it.

I grew up in NYC so I was near a large gay community, and it did seem they were more affected. Drug user deaths really didnt make the news.

In high school and College it was like any other STD, just at the time more deadly.

The problem now as I see it is people think the current drug treatment is a permanent state of affairs, and all the pushes to limit risky behavior have gone by the wayside. I loathe the day the damn bug starts changing before we get some type of vaccine.

I was only around 10 in the 80's and my mother was a nurse. Once she got the info from CDC on transmission she wasnt to0 worried. She had told us not to touch anyone else's blood or dirty needles if we found them even before AIDS was known about, so this didnt really change anything except her reminding us of it.

I grew up in NYC so I was near a large gay community, and it did seem they were more affected. Drug user deaths really didnt make the news.

In high school and College it was like any other STD, just at the time more deadly.

The problem now as I see it is people think the current drug treatment is a permanent state of affairs, and all the pushes to limit risky behavior have gone by the wayside. I loathe the day the damn bug starts changing before we get some type of vaccine.

One of the things you mention I have noticed to.

Since we have made some advancement in medicine it's as if the younger generation who grew up with aids seems to think it's a cure and I notice a more carefree attitude in lifestyle then when it first came out.

One of the things you mention I have noticed to.

Since we have made some advancement in medicine it's as if the younger generation who grew up with aids seems to think it's a cure and I notice a more carefree attitude in lifestyle then when it first came out.

That is very very dangerous, because it ignores the fact that bugs can evolve to get around treatments.

Forum List

Back