Aid being refused by Burma

Larkinn

Jun 25, 2007
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080508/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/us_myanmar

WASHINGTON - Defense Secretary Robert Gates said Thursday the U.S. military was moving forward with plans to mount a relief mission in Myanmar, but he said he couldn't imagine air dropping aid without permission from the Asian nation's government.
ADVERTISEMENT

His comments followed those earlier Thursday by Ky Luu, the director of the U.S. Office of Foreign Disaster Assistance, that an air drop was one of the options being considered as Myanmar's junta continued to stall on accepting assistance from the United States.

Gates says the military is moving aircraft and ships into place to help deliver humanitarian supplies once permission is granted.

"I cannot image us going in without the permission of the Myanmar government," Gates said at a Pentagon press conference with Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Adm. Mike Mullen.

Asked if it would not be helpful to victims for the U.S. to drop supplies, Mullen said: "We could. Typically, though, it's sovereign airspace and you'd need their permission to fly in that airspace."

"It's all tied to sovereignty, which we respect whether it's on the ground or in the air," Mullen said.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

WASHINGTON (AP) — Defense Secretary Robert Gates says he can't imagine dropping relief aid into Myanmar without the military junta's permission.

Another U.S. official says the U.S. is looking at that possibility anyway, to help victims of a devastating cyclone in Myanmar.

Gates says the military is moving aircraft and ships into place to help deliver humanitarian supplies once permission is granted. But he says he can't imagine doing it without the Myanmar government's go-ahead.

Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Adm. Mike Mullen says it's a matter of Myanmar's national sovereignty.

Peh, the International Community needs to force Burma to accept aid. I doubt the US will agree to that though and so foreign aid will be slow in coming to them.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080508/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/us_myanmar

WASHINGTON - Defense Secretary Robert Gates said Thursday the U.S. military was moving forward with plans to mount a relief mission in Myanmar, but he said he couldn't imagine air dropping aid without permission from the Asian nation's government.
ADVERTISEMENT

His comments followed those earlier Thursday by Ky Luu, the director of the U.S. Office of Foreign Disaster Assistance, that an air drop was one of the options being considered as Myanmar's junta continued to stall on accepting assistance from the United States.

Gates says the military is moving aircraft and ships into place to help deliver humanitarian supplies once permission is granted.

"I cannot image us going in without the permission of the Myanmar government," Gates said at a Pentagon press conference with Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Adm. Mike Mullen.

Asked if it would not be helpful to victims for the U.S. to drop supplies, Mullen said: "We could. Typically, though, it's sovereign airspace and you'd need their permission to fly in that airspace."

"It's all tied to sovereignty, which we respect whether it's on the ground or in the air," Mullen said.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

WASHINGTON (AP) — Defense Secretary Robert Gates says he can't imagine dropping relief aid into Myanmar without the military junta's permission.

Another U.S. official says the U.S. is looking at that possibility anyway, to help victims of a devastating cyclone in Myanmar.

Gates says the military is moving aircraft and ships into place to help deliver humanitarian supplies once permission is granted. But he says he can't imagine doing it without the Myanmar government's go-ahead.

Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Adm. Mike Mullen says it's a matter of Myanmar's national sovereignty.

Peh, the International Community needs to force Burma to accept aid. I doubt the US will agree to that though and so foreign aid will be slow in coming to them.

Force them How? Perhaps we should invade?

Force them How? Perhaps we should invade?

Read the article.

that an air drop was one of the options being considered as Myanmar's junta continued to stall on accepting assistance from the United States.

And yes, I would love if we invaded Burma. But its not necessary to save lives, we can just do air drops of food.

Read the article.

And yes, I would love if we invaded Burma. But its not necessary to save lives, we can just do air drops of food.

Let one USAID pallet hit someone, not worth the risk anymore. I feel sorry for those people, however as I learned from some great minds on messageboards, unless the people overthrow the government, we really should mind our own business-after all, it's their government.

Let one USAID pallet hit someone, not worth the risk anymore. I feel sorry for those people, however as I learned from some great minds on messageboards, unless the people overthrow the government, we really should mind our own business-after all, it's their government.
"We are fighting today for our life, for our liberty, for our all, we cannot go on being led as we are. Somehow or other, we must get into the Government men who can match our enemies in fighting spirit, in daring, in resolution and in thirst for victory."~Leo Amery 1940, while staring at Chamberlain

Interesting post, especially when read together with your sig.

Let one USAID pallet hit someone, not worth the risk anymore.

If one USAID pallet hits someone, then what? Someone dies. So because we are afraid of killing a few people, thousands upon thousands will starve? Brilliant really.

I feel sorry for those people, however as I learned from some great minds on messageboards, unless the people overthrow the government, we really should mind our own business-after all, it's their government.

No, actually its the government that controls them, it is NOT their government. And mind your own business? Which is why you were so against going into Iraq, right?

If one USAID pallet hits someone, then what? Someone dies. So because we are afraid of killing a few people, thousands upon thousands will starve? Brilliant really.

No, actually its the government that controls them, it is NOT their government. And mind your own business? Which is why you were so against going into Iraq, right?

So Mr. Brilliant....you want to invade them and force our rice down their gullets weather they want it or not...???? Will they throw flowers at our troops feet?

Next you might want to force our freedoms down their throats too....will they throw those flowers at our troops then too....

We can force the rice but not the freedoms, you say...????:cuckoo:

Isn't worth the risk, even one death is one too many.

I learned the lesson, isn't that what you've been writing feverishly for so long for? Face it, Saddam controlled his people unmercifully, but that didn't warrant unjust interference, sanctions, war.

So Mr. Brilliant....you want to invade them and force our rice down their gullets weather they want it or not...???? Will they throw flowers at our troops feet?

Are you fucking stupid? Can you differentiate between the government and the people? The government doesn't want the US to send in food, the people are begging for it.

Next you might want to force our freedoms down their throats too....will they throw those flowers at our troops then too....

Those freedoms which they obviously don't want. Oh wait didn't they just revolt trying to get those freedoms?

Isn't worth the risk, even one death is one too many.

What part ofthousands will die of starvation didn't you understand?

I learned the lesson, isn't that what you've been writing feverishly for so long for? Face it, Saddam controlled his people unmercifully, but that didn't warrant unjust interference, sanctions, war.

Iraq was nothing compared to Burma. Tens of thousands of people just died, and it took them days to allow the UN to bring in a set amount of food. But its all good because deaths by starvation somehow matter less than deaths by force :cuckoo:

What part ofthousands will die of starvation didn't you understand?

Iraq was nothing compared to Burma. Tens of thousands of people just died, and it took them days to allow the UN to bring in a set amount of food. But its all good because deaths by starvation somehow matter less than deaths by force :cuckoo:
Wait, tens of billions died in Iraq through our hubris, thinking we could free the people and bring democracy to some. We simply cannot once again ignore a sovereign government so we can 'feel good' dropping food in, just because 'we can'.

Seriously, you are being heartless.

Are you fucking stupid? Can you differentiate between the government and the people? The government doesn't want the US to send in food, the people are begging for it.

Those freedoms which they obviously don't want. Oh wait didn't they just revolt trying to get those freedoms?

If they revolt and succeed, then they can ask us for the help. That's the right way to deal with this. We'll be on the correct side then.

You might want to reflect on that number.

No, it's on good authority, those that have posted for so long. See, daily we were allowing tens of thousands of innocent Iraqis to die. Logic says that some days it had to be hundreds of thousands, after all we have some pretty good bombs and all that depleted uranium...

The US must stop asserting it's will onto others. I can't imagine at this date the suggestion that we should ignore a government saying that our aid is not wanted and dropping it into that country, just because we can.

Math obviously not her best subject....
That number a little too big for her to imagine....:eusa_think:

Wait, tens of billions died in Iraq through our hubris, . . .
No, it's on good authority, . . .

See World Population Clock Projection.

Come now, we all know that there are those that just want to make the US look, not so bad. In any case, many of use, regardless of numbers know that no longer should the US go where they aren't asked.

Wait, tens of billions died in Iraq through our hubris, thinking we could free the people and bring democracy to some. We simply cannot once again ignore a sovereign government so we can 'feel good' dropping food in, just because 'we can'.

Seriously, you are being heartless.

Your drunk again, aren't you?

Your drunk again, aren't you?

LOL! Can't really deal with the new take? Why am I not surprised. Hey, all I've been doing is regurgitating and applying what you've been saying for months, if not years.

Forum List

Back