AI: China, Saudi Arabia, Iran, France, Russia Supplying Sudan With Arms

NATO AIR

Jun 25, 2004
USS Abraham Lincoln
Guess we know why 3 of the UNSC's veto holders don't want sanctions or intervention in darfur, they're arming the fucks who are commiting the genocide
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/4014165.stm

Amnesty calls for Sudan arms ban

The government are failing to rein in the Janjaweed men in Darfur
Uncontrolled arms exports are fuelling abuses in Sudan's Darfur region, warns Amnesty International.
The human rights group calls on the United Nations Security Council to impose a strict arms embargo on Sudan to try to end the conflict in Darfur.

The UNSC, which meets this week in Nairobi, has threatened sanctions if security in the region did not improve.

The BBC has broadcast evidence of mass killings in Darfur, where more than 1.5 million people have been displaced.

New York-based Human Rights Watch has also called for an arms embargo.

'Suspend deliveries'

"Amnesty specifically requests the UN Security Council to impose a mandatory arms embargo on Sudan to stop supplies of those arms reaching all the parties to the conflict in Darfur," Amnesty says.

The London-based group says the embargo should only be lifted when measures "are in place to protect civilians from grave human rights abuses".

Belarus, Russia, China, Poland, France, Iran and Saudi Arabia have supplied Sudan with arms, Amnesty says.

The organisation says these countries should suspend deliveries of arms, if they thought it was likely they would be used "for grave human rights violations".

A group of six aid agencies have also called for action, saying that previous UN resolutions "mounted to little more than empty threats, with minimal impact on the levels of violence".

HRW on Monday accused the rebels in Darfur of violating the agreed ceasefire, saying they had "abducted civilians, attacked police stations and other government institutions and raided and looted substantial numbers of livestock and commercial goods".

Attack

On Sunday, the BBC's Panorama programme revealed new evidence of mass ethnic killings and rape in Darfur, adding to fears of genocide in the region.

In one town that the BBC team visited, at least 80 children had been killed, as well as many adults.

DARFUR VIOLENCE

An Arab-looking man, in a uniform with military insignia, stopped his car next to me. He grabbed my son from me and threw him into a fire

Kalima, Kidinyir villager
Rape survivor's account

Janjaweed tactics
Janjaweed militias and government troops attacked Kidinyir throughout the past year, killing huge numbers, reported the BBC's Hilary Andersson.

It is now estimated that more than 70,000 people have died in Darfur and massacres are still going on.

Survivors told the BBC one by one about which family members they had lost.

At least 80 children had been killed.

There were four mass grave sites on the town's fringes.

Sudan's government insists that the killings are the result of tribal chaos in the region. However, African Union observers in Darfur say the government has been arming and directing the Janjaweed militia.

America has called the killings in Darfur genocide because of their ethnic nature.

Britain and many other nations are waiting for the outcome of a lengthy UN investigation into the subject.

NATO AIR said:
Guess we know why 3 of the UNSC's veto holders don't want sanctions or intervention in darfur, they're arming the fucks who are commiting the genocide

gee is there a pattern here? wait til they prove oil for food money went straight to the top of the UN NSC

manu1959 said:
gee is there a pattern here? wait til they prove oil for food money went straight to the top of the UN NSC

oh forgive me, i thought they already had.

time for us to pull our diplomats out of france especially.

manu1959 said:

you know, I wonder how much legs the OFF story will get..... there is news coming out that there were quite a few Americans that got vouchers too. And all during the CLINTON admin. Since the GOP controls the house and senate, maybe it will get some legs, but I would be willing to bet that if Clinton has his way, he will shut down the investigation. His presidency is proving to be one of the most corrupt of all time.

freeandfun1 said:
you know, I wonder how much legs the OFF story will get..... there is news coming out that there were quite a few Americans that got vouchers too. And all during the CLINTON admin. Since the GOP controls the house and senate, maybe it will get some legs, but I would be willing to bet that if Clinton has his way, he will shut down the investigation. His presidency is proving to be one of the most corrupt of all time.

again forgive me, i already thought his was the most corrupt in the 20th century next to nixon's

NATO AIR said:
again forgive me, i already thought his was the most corrupt in the 20th century next to nixon's

Nixon wasn't any more corrupt than the dems at the time. The only difference is that HE got caught and more than even that, he TRIED to lie about it. I am talking about $$ corruption.

Corporate scandals, bribery, questionable pardons, etc. are all around Clinton and more than ANY other president in the 20th century.

freeandfun1 said:

Amen. :clap:

Forum List

Back