After eating, wait before swimming. Why?

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
Hear you're supposed to wait at least an hour after eating before swimming. Supposedly so you don't get a cramp. But swimming here just about every day, often having just eaten, I think it's more so you don't spit up. :)

Doing a lot with your tummy when swimming. Holding your breath, getting a breath, a lot of strain is noticeable on the stomach muscles. I can see the wisdom therefore in waiting for food to digest and leave your stomach before doing anything straining with it. :)

Last edited:
Hear you're supposed to wait at least an hour after eating before swimming. Supposedly so you don't get a cramp. But swimming here just about every day, often having just eaten, I think it's more so you don't spit up. :)

Doing a lot with your tummy when swimming. Holding your breath, getting a breath, a lot of strain is noticeable on the stomach muscles. I can see the wisdom therefore in waiting for food to digest and leave your stomach before doing anything straining with it. :)

The digestive system pull blood from around the body to help with the digestive process. Simple.....

And some vasoconstriction.

Shadow 355

The food won't settle in your stomach because it becomes buoyant when you're in the water.
no.
Excuse me? :slap:
the displacement, mass, and shape of the food you ate does not change depending on if you are wet or dry.
Hey, I have a PhD.

p954555reg.jpg

What are YOUR qualifications? :dunno:

Q. Why

A. Mom said so!

The food won't settle in your stomach because it becomes buoyant when you're in the water.
no.
the displacement, mass, and shape of the food you ate does not change depending on if you are wet or dry.

Don't tell your lungs that. Been constricting and re-expanding all along depending on pressure.
so you think under greater pressure the food would start to displace more fluid? doesn't make sense.

no.

Don't tell your lungs that. Been constricting and re-expanding all along depending on pressure.
so you think under greater pressure the food would start to displace more fluid? doesn't make sense.

It'll float in any fluid or stomach acid just like our entire body floats in the water.

Many true things are also counter-intuitive. Don't get me started on time. :)

Forum List

Back