African Cichlids - Convicts

You sound new to cichlids.

They're really tough to keep. If you find that she's hiding a lot because she's getting picked on, she's eventually going to start suffering from elevated stress and that's a death sentence because it lowers their immune system.

They need an abundance of hiding spaces, lots of rocks built up to make caves, and they need to be balanced out almost PERFECTLY by specific species.

I used to keep Demasoni, a dwarf cichlid, and if you keep any less than 15-20 of them, one dominant one will eventually kill off every single other one until he's the only one left.

These guys are a lot of fun, but a lot of work. You've got a lot of studying to do if this is new to you.

Go to www.cichlid-forum.com. Everything you'll ever need to know is there, and what's not already posted for you to read, an endless amount of people on the forum will help you out with whatever you need to know.

Umm. I'm not the least bit new to cichlids - they're the only fish I've ever kept..
My bad. It kind of sounded like it was new the way you talked about it.

Convicts are some of the most aggressive of the Central American species.

They might be worse than the Mbuna which is what I always kept.

Good luck with it. How long has the female been getting picked on?

They're all fine, really.. Look closely.. Nobody is missing any parts, no split fins, nothing. Each has their own territory.. Nobody's getting picked on, they have plenty of room to move.. It's all good.

This was meant to be more amusing than anything else, since most people get a kick out of their names...

Umm. I'm not the least bit new to cichlids - they're the only fish I've ever kept..

They're all fine, really.. Look closely.. Nobody is missing any parts, no split fins, nothing. Each has their own territory.. Nobody's getting picked on, they have plenty of room to move.. It's all good.

This was meant to be more amusing than anything else, since most people get a kick out of their names...

Oh, ok. Well I apologize for showing interest in your hobby.

Oh, ok. Well I apologize for showing interest in your hobby.

It's all good. :thup:

Nice bait Dis :thup: :D

view_image.aspx

maybe but Tilapia are cichlids. :eusa_whistle: Peacock Bass ain't bad either I hear and put up a great fight.

Eating quality

Their eating quality is very good. Their flesh is white and sweet when cooked, and has very little oil, making it similar in taste to snapper or grouper. Also, they are not excessively bony. However, most professional American anglers recommend practicing catch and release for these species to protect their numbers in the United States. To help ensure this, Florida Wildlife and Game Commission officers strictly enforce bag limits for these fish.

Peacock bass - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm in :thup:

Although I still will probably like Saltwater fishing better.

Tilapia tastes great :eusa_drool:

It must be their diet of other fishs' waste.:eusa_drool:

do they actually eat poop?I have googled and googled and googled, in search of answers to this question. It appears to me that the TILAPIA EAT POOP folks were ultimately informed (directly or indirectly) by the Vomit Island episode of the Dirty Jobs television show, on the Discovery Channel. In this episode, tilapia are used to clean the poo that has accumulated in the tanks of hybrid striped bass.

Last edited:
Meet Taco, Dick, and Guido. :D

Guido is the flashy one, Dick is the big one (named such because he IS one), and Taco is the pink one (named such because the other two keep taking nibbles out of her).

Cichlids rule!

they don't try to eat each other?:eusa_eh:

Other than trying to take nibbles out of Taco because he/she "looks different" (I'm guessing), not so much. Course, they all have their own space, so...

Racist bastards ... make some fish sticks!!!! :razz:

Meet Taco, Dick, and Guido. :D

Guido is the flashy one, Dick is the big one (named such because he IS one), and Taco is the pink one (named such because the other two keep taking nibbles out of her).

Cichlids rule!

I forget. are those "mouth breeders"?

Convicts are NOT mouth breeders...

Thanks but LMAO.
Think about what you wrote and another implication.

maybe but Tilapia are cichlids. :eusa_whistle: Peacock Bass ain't bad either I hear and put up a great fight.

Eating quality

Their eating quality is very good. Their flesh is white and sweet when cooked, and has very little oil, making it similar in taste to snapper or grouper. Also, they are not excessively bony. However, most professional American anglers recommend practicing catch and release for these species to protect their numbers in the United States. To help ensure this, Florida Wildlife and Game Commission officers strictly enforce bag limits for these fish.

Peacock bass - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm in :thup:

Although I still will probably like Saltwater fishing better.

agreed

SnapperFishing018.jpg

Get yourself a Hap Moorii.Toss in an electric blue to keep it interesting.
I used to keep a few cichlids. About 10,000.

Attachments

• $cichlids.jpg
    $cichlids.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 69
I once made the mistake of putting a Jack Dempsey in with a Jewel fish.

They went at it for days and then each retired to their seperate corners and didn't come out much.

Forum List

Back