African Cichlids - Convicts

D

Dis

Meet Taco, Dick, and Guido. :D

Guido is the flashy one, Dick is the big one (named such because he IS one), and Taco is the pink one (named such because the other two keep taking nibbles out of her).

Cichlids rule!

Attachments

• $convicts.jpg
    $convicts.jpg
    262.7 KB · Views: 106
Love those aggressive little suckers! :thup:

Can't imagine why I'd find aggressive fish so fascinating. :D

Love it when they get big enough to uproot their own surroundings, and do a little redecorating.

Guido is the flashy one, Dick is the big one (named such because he IS one), and Taco is the pink one (named such because the other two keep taking nibbles out of her).

Cichlids rule!

they don't try to eat each other?:eusa_eh:

Cichlids rule!

Other than trying to take nibbles out of Taco because he/she "looks different" (I'm guessing), not so much. Course, they all have their own space, so...

Cichlids rule!

Other than trying to take nibbles out of Taco because he/she "looks different" (I'm guessing), not so much. Course, they all have their own space, so...

Well, maybe if you hadn't named him "taco" they wouldn't think him was for eating! doyathink? :eusa_eh:

kidding aside they are very pretty.

Well, maybe if you hadn't named him "taco" they wouldn't think him was for eating! doyathink? :eusa_eh:

kidding aside they are very pretty.

Oh, I don't name them until after they've displayed their personalities, and earned said names.

(Guido's a little attention whore - always the first one up to the glass, dancing back and forth when I get there)

they are mouth breeders lol.....but nice fish...wont they kill each other?

Not if you know how to care for them, and give them what they need, as opposed to what's "pretty".. As they get older, the plants and stuff come out, and much larger stones, and caves go in.

they do like to hide....i think they are beautiful fish....still mouth breeders...admit it dis that is why you like them......

I like them because they have attitude, and personality. Oh, and they get BIG! The bigger, the better. :D

Cichlids rule!

I forget. are those "mouth breeders"?

Cichlids rule!

You sound new to cichlids.

They're really tough to keep. If you find that she's hiding a lot because she's getting picked on, she's eventually going to start suffering from elevated stress and that's a death sentence because it lowers their immune system.

They need an abundance of hiding spaces, lots of rocks built up to make caves, and they need to be balanced out almost PERFECTLY by specific species.

I used to keep Demasoni, a dwarf cichlid, and if you keep any less than 15-20 of them, one dominant one will eventually kill off every single other one until he's the only one left.

These guys are a lot of fun, but a lot of work. You've got a lot of studying to do if this is new to you.

Go to www.cichlid-forum.com. Everything you'll ever need to know is there, and what's not already posted for you to read, an endless amount of people on the forum will help you out with whatever you need to know.

convicts cichlids are not mouth brooders they are substrait brooders a mouth brooder is when the female lays her eggs and scoops them up in her mouth the chases the male he fiterlizes them in her mouth. Now you may ask how does the male get the female to chase him so he can fertilize the eggs simple male mouth brooders have what is called egg dummies on there anil fin. they are markings that look like eggs and when the female is scooping up her eggs he swins in front of the eggs she chases the egg dummies and he feritilizes he does till all the eggs are in her mouth and feritilized
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cryptoheros nigrofasciatus (convict cichlids) - AllCichlids.com - The #1 Resource for Cichlid Information

Cichlids rule!

They're really tough to keep. If you find that she's hiding a lot because she's getting picked on, she's eventually going to start suffering from elevated stress and that's a death sentence because it lowers their immune system.

They need an abundance of hiding spaces, lots of rocks built up to make caves, and they need to be balanced out almost PERFECTLY by specific species.

I used to keep Demasoni, a dwarf cichlid, and if you keep any less than 15-20 of them, one dominant one will eventually kill off every single other one until he's the only one left.

These guys are a lot of fun, but a lot of work. You've got a lot of studying to do if this is new to you.

Go to www.cichlid-forum.com. Everything you'll ever need to know is there, and what's not already posted for you to read, an endless amount of people on the forum will help you out with whatever you need to know.

Umm. I'm not the least bit new to cichlids - they're the only fish I've ever kept..

Cichlids rule!

I forget. are those "mouth breeders"?

Convicts are NOT mouth breeders...

i have never had them....i always kept a community tank....but got out of fish all together.....you just cant find great fish in a rural area....when i had a large tank we would travel to get fish...but i gave it up after coming home and finding my fish fried by a mal function in the heater

Cichlids rule!

Umm. I'm not the least bit new to cichlids - they're the only fish I've ever kept..
My bad. It kind of sounded like it was new the way you talked about it.

Convicts are some of the most aggressive of the Central American species.

They might be worse than the Mbuna which is what I always kept.

Good luck with it. How long has the female been getting picked on?

Forum List

Back