Affirmative Action Hurts Minorities

f252863

Dec 20, 2013
There are many statistics on race/ethnicity with respect to education that are very easy to find online, yet curiously when it comes to test scores (AP and SAT) of admitted freshmen (using W&M and UVA in Virginia) by race/ethnicity it is practically impossible without a freedom of information request. The few studies that I have seen show a very wide gap in admission policies. If you dispute this, show me official statistics that demonstrate otherwise.

I understand the rationale given by advocates of Affirmative Action though I don't agree with the concept of two wrongs making a right. I also acknowledge that athletes and legacy applicants are given preferential treatment.

If I were African American I'd vehemently protest against Affirmative Action. It is demeaning, patronizing and taints the record of those who excel based on merit. I'd hate to go through life with people silently questioning whether my status was conferred by actual results or skin color.

Back in the 60's Asians suffered discrimination in America. Many came from very poor and backward countries. Yet they put forth an extraordinary effort to excel and it paid off. This lays to rest the myth that past/present discrimination can only be rectified by gaming outcomes.

There is also a great deal of hypocrisy among educators. Suppose you had to get on a plane flying through dangerous conditions, would you select the pilot who scored an 8/9 on a flight aptitude test or one who got a 5/9 but passed because of an allowance for race/ethnicity?

How can ykou say it hurts minorities when we have two prime AA beneficiaries living at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington, D.C.? FLOTUS was making $350 thousand a year in a make-work job for a hospital group in Chicago. That is not "hurt."

And by the way, "affirmative action" is passe. It is now Diversity Initiatives.

Forum List

Back