Affirmative action, helpful or harmful?

AA is helpful to white women. Historically it has been very helpful to white men.

Then end it. I don’t want anyone being helped on the basis of skin color/gender
Why cant Blacks have their very own AA for 400 plus years like whites do?

You have lived for 400 plus years and neither have I. We’re well overdue for everyone getting equal treatment according to the laws we live by. AA goes against the grain of that.
I didnt say you or I lived 400 plus years. I said whites have had AA for 400 plus years. "Whites" is plural and consist of more than just you.

Well there are no whites alive today that have had AA for 400 years, so what’s your point? Do you think you’re entitled to something just on the basis of how your ancestors were treated? Because that’s going down a very slippery slope.
Your post leads me to believe you have no clue what AA is for. AA is supposedly used to make up for the gap in economic opportunity whites have enjoyed for centuries. Because whites have enjoyed this AA for centuries they now have a head start. I know they need it because they cant compete on a level playing field but how much of a head start do you need?

"I'm fine with affirmative action. We've lived with it for a long time. And I lived with it for a long time. And I've had great relationships with lots of people. So I'm fine with it." - Donald J. Trump

Donald Trump on ‘Meet the Press’

Yeah well he’s wrong
That's because he's a Democrat.

I wouldn’t call him a Democrat, but I can certainly see why you would accuse him of being one.

Again -- he's a Democrat if that's what you want. He's a Republican if that's what you want. He's a white supremacist if that's what your very fine people want. He's religious if that's what you want, he's a horndog if that's what you want, he's a gun carrier if that's etc etc on and on and on and on and on.

You can't say he's not accommodating.

'Affirmative action' (dumb name) was certainly necessary at a time. The American system had failed for significant numbers of people and something had to be done. If 'America' had functioned as we dreamed it would, this (and forced desegregation, for another example) would never have been needed. Continuing affirmative action should be thoroughly examined and debated. There are indications that such a program today is counter-productive if too rigidly applied.

Just saw this video in my feed and was quite shocked at the stats it puts forward.

AA is helpful to white women. Historically it has been very helpful to white men.

I've lost at least two job opportunities to AA, so ..... no, not much "help".

Maybe not to you personally but to some white guy thats married to that white woman. The income opportunity still goes to a white household.

I was more qualified. They told me that straight up.

Just saw this video in my feed and was quite shocked at the stats it puts forward.

Maybe not to you personally but to some white guy thats married to that white woman. The income opportunity still goes to a white household.

Watch the video. Ignore the messenger and focus on the content out forth.

I was more qualified. They told me that straight up.

Chances are you were. The problem for you was that they were qualified enough and met the criteria of being a woman or a non white male person.

Kind of hard to focus on the content when I know its going to be some BS repub marketing spiel.

Yeah I watched it as long as I could stand to and it was exactly what I thought. Any fool that believes that if the judicial, executive, and legislative branches of the government were all Black that Black people would do worse economically doesnt really understand how wealth works.

Then end it. I don’t want anyone being helped on the basis of skin color/gender

You have lived for 400 plus years and neither have I. We’re well overdue for everyone getting equal treatment according to the laws we live by. AA goes against the grain of that.
I didnt say you or I lived 400 plus years. I said whites have had AA for 400 plus years. "Whites" is plural and consist of more than just you.

Well there are no whites alive today that have had AA for 400 years, so what’s your point? Do you think you’re entitled to something just on the basis of how your ancestors were treated? Because that’s going down a very slippery slope.
Your post leads me to believe you have no clue what AA is for. AA is supposedly used to make up for the gap in economic opportunity whites have enjoyed for centuries. Because whites have enjoyed this AA for centuries they now have a head start. I know they need it because they cant compete on a level playing field but how much of a head start do you need?

Forget about AA’s noble reasons. The bottom line is it’s discrimination

Yeah I watched it as long as I could stand to and it was exactly what I thought. Any fool that believes that if the judicial, executive, and legislative branches of the government were all Black that Black people would do worse economically doesnt really understand how wealth works.

There are currently cities in America right now where blacks control everything yet can't control the violence in said cities or the abject poverty.

YOU will never amount to shit when imaginary chains are keeping you bound.

You call it discrimination. If it was truly to get rid of the white head start I would term it leveling the playing field.

There are currently cities in America right now where blacks control everything yet can't control the violence in said cities or the abject poverty.

YOU will never amount to shit when imaginary chains are keeping you bound.
Yeah but its going to take at least the same 400 years to get where whites got with having AA.

You call it discrimination. If it was truly to get rid of the white head start I would term it leveling the playing field.

I call it discrimination because that’s exactly what it is regardless of the noble intention.

The video was right on the money. His conclusions mirror those by Sowell and Walter E Williams. The problem however is the left hates facts, especially documented facts. When they come from other black people, they are labeled Uncle Tom's for simply telling the truth.

There are probably not a lot of people here that knows what's going on in my town of Cleveland. It's really almost unbelievable what a black Mayor and nearly all black Council are doing to this town.

Last year, Mayor Jackson got his Council to pass a 1.5 million dollar dirt bike park. Why a dirt bike park? Because the Mayor's grandson got busted a few times riding his dirt bike on the street.

Afterwards, this very same grandson got busted with pot, a scale, and illegally carrying a gun. The charge might have gotten his grandson in trouble with his gravy job at the water department, but the judge gave him a slap on the hand.

Shortly afterwards, the Mayors great grandson got busted with an illegal gun as well. But he didn't have a job with the city, he was only 14 years old. The Mayor commented on the situation by saying his family is like many others in Cleveland; they need to protect themselves.

While Cleveland is slowly moving up to the most dangerous city to live in (we are currently 8th in the entire country) our police department is depleting because they are not replacing retiring police officers. Some of our police cars have over 100,000 miles on them and over ten years old. But instead of maintaining or improving protection for the black citizens here, the Mayor and friends are spending money on dirt bike parks and handing out millions to people like Tamir Rice's mother who got a 6 million dollar paycheck before the case of her son's shooting even made it to court.

On top of it all, Mayor Jackson got reelected this past election.

There is no doubt it is harmful,
You need to choose the best and brightest no matter of Gender or Race.
We have not been doing that for the past 40 years and it has taken its toll

Yeah but its going to take at least the same 400 years to get where whites got with having AA.

Why is that?
For the same reasons it took whites that long to get where they are.

Whites to get where they are, huh?

I have a beverage store that I patron. The owner calls himself AJ, although I doubt that's his name. He and his family are from India. They came here with not much, learned to speak the language, worked night and day until he could open up his beverage store.

He's quite successful; not because there are no other places to buy beer and pop, but because they are very good with customers and he's open all the time including every holiday year round.

After he got his business going, he invited his money into rental units in a suburb nearby. Now he recently purchased a hotel. HIs wife quit working the beverage store to manage the hotel, and from what he told me, they are very profitable on their investment.

Can you tell me why this non-white person form another country became financially successful and blacks need 400 years of AA to come close?

One of the biggest problems for blacks is they rely on excuses instead of action; and no not affirmative action. But go to your local library sometime and ask the librarian if she can point to where the books are written by successful excuse makers. I bet she can't find one for you. Why? Because ALL excuse makers are failures no matter what color their skin.

Forum List

Back