Advice please, son just bought his first bike

ya know...I drive every day with the assumption that every mf on the road is drunk... AND texting...I expect them to do stupid shit...I'm rarely caught by surprise when someone does.

Actually I bought it, he got his gear and his own insurance. So how long do you think he should "practice" with the bike before he rides in traffic? He's passed the motorcycle safety course but has no experience riding.
Man....
No experience and he's going right to street bikes?
Does he have a car so he can ride the bike on weekends for awhile?

It's not a matter of if,but when are you going to crash.
And being a rookie those chances sky rocket.
I had a motorcycle before a car. Learned on the street, sometimes the hard way.

I learned the hard way at 11 .....and 12,and 13 all the way up till my last lay down at 48.
That was it for me.
I'll be in one of these next.
upload_2015-9-15_18-3-28.png

I've been riding motorcycles quite a bit of my life. Started out on a Honda Rebel, then graduated to a Honda Shadow 600 and then to a Harley Davidson Sportster that was an 883 that was bored out to a 1200 with a serious cam kit and a S and S carb. My Sporty has been clocked at 130 mph.

Best advice? Well, you started off good by enrolling him in a motor cycle safety course. If it was the one I took, not only is there a good amount of book work on rules and regs, but they also took you out and taught you practical evasion and traffic skills, and you had to bring your own bike for that. It was a good course and started me off well (also, it was required for getting a military base sticker).

If he's completed that, then he's got the basic skill set to ride in traffic. Trust me, the first few times out on a motorcycle, your head is on a swivel, because you understand that cars are bigger and stronger than you. Let him go out on back roads and side streets for a few days, until he tells you he feels comfortable riding, and then just trust that he's going to be okay on the main roads.

As far as safety equipment? A helmet (full face is best), a LEATHER JACKET (it has a low friction coefficient and will slide on pavement without ripping to shreds, a leather vest (for protection) when riding in the summer. Gloves are also a good idea, because bugs and rocks hurt like hell when they hit your knuckles at 60 mph. If he can afford them, chaps are also a good idea for both protection and warmth.

Levis or some other denim pant should ALWAYS be worn while riding. Denim is one of the second toughest materials, next to leather, and they also slide like leather does, although they WILL tear up if you hit the pavement. I've had a pair of jeans save my skin a time or two. If you're wearing shorts? Forget it, you've just lost the skin on your legs.

ALWAYS wear boots, either pull on or lace up, but boots that go at least 1/4 up the shin, because having the extra support helps when you stop and put your foot down, and they don't come off like tennis shoes or regular shoes. NEVER, EVER, WEAR SANDALS WHEN RIDING.

A reflective vest, and a decent attitude about your mortality is all thats left.

I hope your son enjoys his scooter and has many problem free miles on it.

I've been riding motorcycles quite a bit of my life. Started out on a Honda Rebel, then graduated to a Honda Shadow 600 and then to a Harley Davidson Sportster that was an 883 that was bored out to a 1200 with a serious cam kit and a S and S carb. My Sporty has been clocked at 130 mph.

Best advice? Well, you started off good by enrolling him in a motor cycle safety course. If it was the one I took, not only is there a good amount of book work on rules and regs, but they also took you out and taught you practical evasion and traffic skills, and you had to bring your own bike for that. It was a good course and started me off well (also, it was required for getting a military base sticker).

If he's completed that, then he's got the basic skill set to ride in traffic. Trust me, the first few times out on a motorcycle, your head is on a swivel, because you understand that cars are bigger and stronger than you. Let him go out on back roads and side streets for a few days, until he tells you he feels comfortable riding, and then just trust that he's going to be okay on the main roads.

As far as safety equipment? A helmet (full face is best), a LEATHER JACKET (it has a low friction coefficient and will slide on pavement without ripping to shreds, a leather vest (for protection) when riding in the summer. Gloves are also a good idea, because bugs and rocks hurt like hell when they hit your knuckles at 60 mph. If he can afford them, chaps are also a good idea for both protection and warmth.

Levis or some other denim pant should ALWAYS be worn while riding. Denim is one of the second toughest materials, next to leather, and they also slide like leather does, although they WILL tear up if you hit the pavement. I've had a pair of jeans save my skin a time or two. If you're wearing shorts? Forget it, you've just lost the skin on your legs.

ALWAYS wear boots, either pull on or lace up, but boots that go at least 1/4 up the shin, because having the extra support helps when you stop and put your foot down, and they don't come off like tennis shoes or regular shoes. NEVER, EVER, WEAR SANDALS WHEN RIDING.

A reflective vest, and a decent attitude about your mortality is all thats left.

I hope your son enjoys his scooter and has many problem free miles on it.
He has all the gear you mentioned and I'm not letting him ride in traffic until he's logged a couple hundred miles at least on the back roads.

ya know...I drive every day with the assumption that every mf on the road is drunk... AND texting...I expect them to do stupid shit...I'm rarely caught by surprise when someone does.
Every time I see a car weaving or moving erratically, almost without fail it is some dipshit man or woman looking down at their f*kkn phone. For God's sake, they can't wait 10 minutes?

Actually I bought it, he got his gear and his own insurance. So how long do you think he should "practice" with the bike before he rides in traffic? He's passed the motorcycle safety course but has no experience riding.
Man....
No experience and he's going right to street bikes?
Does he have a car so he can ride the bike on weekends for awhile?

It's not a matter of if,but when are you going to crash.
And being a rookie those chances sky rocket.
I had a motorcycle before a car. Learned on the street, sometimes the hard way.

I learned the hard way at 11 .....and 12,and 13 all the way up till my last lay down at 48.
That was it for me.
I'll be in one of these next.
View attachment 50214

Hell,I wont even do my truck the way it sits in my Avi anymore....

I agree with most of that, I'm a ATGATT guy. All the gear all the time. These days armor is widely available, there's no reason to just protect part of your lower body with chaps, wear armored leather instead. I admittedly do not understand most Harley riders, they've got their own agenda, not sure what it is.

Boots should go over halfway up the shin and be steel toed. You want all the protection you can get if the bike falls on you. Ask me how I know. Full face helmet and armored gloves is also mandatory for me. If you go down you'll be hitting your hands and noggin.

It's an investment but hospital bills aren't cheap either.

My Dad bought me a 125 enduro at 15. I had my own Honda 750 at 17 and a new Suzuki GS750 at 19. I know how lucky I am to be alive.

You should watch him ride without him knowing you are there. If he is careless, you will witness it.

PS. try not to let him ride at night or in heavy traffic, until he is experienced.

Yeah...............riding in bad weather and at night require a bit of experience to be safe.

And..............if the weather gets too far past a drizzle, I pull off to the side and wait it out, even though I've been riding for a few years.

The "test" for your motorcycle license is nothing, certainly not an indicator that someone is ready to ride in traffic. I started riding about 7-8 years ago as an adult. Before starting I was shooting shit with the deputy that was going to administer the road test. He told me that basically if you can ride your bike to the testing station without killing yourself then you are going to get a license (we can get a learners license in GA that is good for 6 months that will enable you to ride on public streets and ride you bike to the testing station).

I would be nervous as hell if my son was going to ride. Basically, he needs to get to the point where he can operate the bike without thinking about it, as second nature. I agree with one of the other posters: ride with him. Go for some rides through the country together, even if you have to haul your bikes out of the city to get there.

I grew up in Seattle along side Bob "hurricane" Hanna. Used to date his sister Marilyn. That man could ride!
Sure, I remember him, he was quite a legend.

The most famous rider I knew was a flat tracker from my home town named Freddy Nix.

AMA Motorcycle Museum Hall of Fame | Freddie Nix

And right down the rode in the next town was Gary Nixon.

AMA Motorcycle Museum Hall of Fame | Gary Nixon
I notice your info says retired. Here is my pick to still enjoy the road.
Transverse 3 and front wheel drive. 84 mpg and top end just over 100. Price? 6,800 dollars. Two seater/tandem fuel injected Geo Metro motor and front drive.

They are due out at the end of 2016. You can get on a waiting list now though for a hundred bucks. And THEY WILL finance!
Check it out.

Most states require the driver to have a MC license and all occupants to wear helmets.

I suspect it will be exactly as sucessful as Liz Carmichael's planned 3-wheeler!

You know the bigger danger is in town from car doors opening?
My friend lost his leg exactly that way! They took him to the hospital in 2 pieces.
Never got close to that happening to me. I ride in the left part of the lane, mostly to be visible to cars behind me and to see up ahead.

OP: I started at 18 and I'm 61 now, put about 250,000 miles on bikes so far. You got him started out right with the safety foundation course but he'll have to get out there sooner or later. The best advice is to watch people like your life depends on it, because it does. Ride like you're invisible and do not get aggressive in traffic. It's difficult to spot a small target's speed, even with the headlight on auto drivers will have a difficult time estimating your speed and distance.

And for God's sake, if he has the newer headlights, don't use the high beam in traffic. That was good advice back in the day but you will blind people with today's lights.
Thanks, about headlights I ordered the headlight "strobe" kit what is your opinion on that?
If the bike has ajustable baffles on the mufflers turn them up as loud as legal. Old saying. "Loud pipes save lives".

Correct saying: "Loud pipes lose rights."

Motorcycles should be legally required to have unaltered stock pipes. Noiseboxes should be seized and destroyed.

You know the bigger danger is in town from car doors opening?
My friend lost his leg exactly that way! They took him to the hospital in 2 pieces.
Never got close to that happening to me. I ride in the left part of the lane, mostly to be visible to cars behind me and to see up ahead.

OP: I started at 18 and I'm 61 now, put about 250,000 miles on bikes so far. You got him started out right with the safety foundation course but he'll have to get out there sooner or later. The best advice is to watch people like your life depends on it, because it does. Ride like you're invisible and do not get aggressive in traffic. It's difficult to spot a small target's speed, even with the headlight on auto drivers will have a difficult time estimating your speed and distance.

And for God's sake, if he has the newer headlights, don't use the high beam in traffic. That was good advice back in the day but you will blind people with today's lights.
Thanks, about headlights I ordered the headlight "strobe" kit what is your opinion on that?
If the bike has ajustable baffles on the mufflers turn them up as loud as legal. Old saying. "Loud pipes save lives".

Motorcycles should be legally required to have unaltered stock pipes. Noiseboxes should be seized and destroyed.

Wrong. Many times the main reason that people in cars notice people on bikes is because they hear them first.

My Sporty was capable of 105 db.

I grew up in Seattle along side Bob "hurricane" Hanna. Used to date his sister Marilyn. That man could ride!
Sure, I remember him, he was quite a legend.

The most famous rider I knew was a flat tracker from my home town named Freddy Nix.

AMA Motorcycle Museum Hall of Fame | Freddie Nix

And right down the rode in the next town was Gary Nixon.

AMA Motorcycle Museum Hall of Fame | Gary Nixon
I notice your info says retired. Here is my pick to still enjoy the road.
Transverse 3 and front wheel drive. 84 mpg and top end just over 100. Price? 6,800 dollars. Two seater/tandem fuel injected Geo Metro motor and front drive.

They are due out at the end of 2016. You can get on a waiting list now though for a hundred bucks. And THEY WILL finance!
Check it out.

Most states require the driver to have a MC license and all occupants to wear helmets.

I suspect it will be exactly as sucessful as Liz Carmichael's planned 3-wheeler!

45 states have already listed it as a car. It has TWO drive wheels.

Wrong. Many times the main reason that people in cars notice people on bikes is because they hear them first.

Prove it. You are making the assertion, you back it up...or don't, and admit it's bullshit!

There are too many irresponsible motorcycle riders like you on the road...it is probably time to require unaltered stock pipes on all bikes, no exceptions.

Prove it. You are making the assertion, you back it up...or don't, and admit it's bullshit!

There are too many irresponsible motorcycle riders like you on the road...it is probably time to require unaltered stock pipes on all bikes, no exceptions.
I have rode AND drove for over four decades. when I hear pipes I check my mirrors even IF I plan on going straight the next 100 miles. Pipes draw your attention and cause you to look just like a siren.

This thread is written by a man whose son has chosen to ride and looking for tips FROM riders NOT haters of riders. Now loud pipes DO help. Wearing bright colors DOES help. Running with the head light on DOES help.

What you have here in the OP is a man looking for every tip from every RIDER to make HIS son safer. You need to take your hate elsewhere because I can promise you we ARE talking a life issue here NOT if you hate bikes or not.

So show some respect for the OP and Sunni Man and myself as we try to put some guidelines together that mean his son can ride for four decades plus and STILL come to USMB and help another.

Last edited:
In other words: you have no proof and are now conceding that fact. Figured.

And yeah, I hate bikes so much that I ride. Stop digging, dude.

Forum List

Back