Advice please, son just bought his first bike

MarathonMike

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2014
The Southwestern Desert
Actually I bought it, he got his gear and his own insurance. So how long do you think he should "practice" with the bike before he rides in traffic? He's passed the motorcycle safety course but has no experience riding.

Alot. Teach him he has to have respect for the type machine it is. And please warn him not to weave in and out of traffic. It can produce disastrous results. Remind him he isn't invincible. And I love bikes.

Teach him that he may be invisible to other drivers at any time. Not because he is, but because they are distracted. Maintain a good buffer zone when possible.

Have him work up to high traffic conditions, and interstates.

Actually I bought it, he got his gear and his own insurance. So how long do you think he should "practice" with the bike before he rides in traffic? He's passed the motorcycle safety course but has no experience riding.

How old is he? I was riding at 16- and I did lots of stupid stuff- lucky i survived. I wish I had some really good advice but I dont' know how to prevent teenage boy stupidity (and I am speaking of my own experience not calling your son stupid).

Keep him riding in the daylight, and in good weather at first. I assume you don't ride? If you do- ride with him- if not literally follow him in the car some to make sure he has good riding habits- the ones the courses teach.

Don't let him ride with his buddy to school right away- it was always with us together after school that we did the most stupid things.

How old is he? I was riding at 16- and I did lots of stupid stuff- lucky i survived. I wish I had some really good advice but I dont' know how to prevent teenage boy stupidity (and I am speaking of my own experience not calling your son stupid).

Keep him riding in the daylight, and in good weather at first. I assume you don't ride? If you do- ride with him- if not literally follow him in the car some to make sure he has good riding habits- the ones the courses teach.

Don't let him ride with his buddy to school right away- it was always with us together after school that we did the most stupid things.
You know it was a motorcycle cop who taught me the finer points of riding. I used to love parade drills where all you heard was the click.

Motorcycles are not safe, Mike. Sell the bike and buy him a car. A big car. Make him drive 500 hours with you before he can drive alone. By then, he should be ready.

as with most things in life, the biggest safety advice, is to have your head screwed on straight. All the practice in the world, can't cure stupidity, or arrogance and pride.

If you teach him to have his head screwed on right, he'll be fine in the long run. But you can give an prideful fool a million hours of practice, and he'll still get himself killed hot-dogging for his friends..... you know... because they said doing that would be 'kewl'.

Proverbs 17:10
"A single rebuke does more for a person of understanding than a hundred lashes on the back of a fool."

Make sure he's not a fool, and you can let him ride all you want. If he proves himself a fool... take the bike away.

All good advice but he has the bike, he's 18 and has no riding experience. I failed to mention he has his own car so he doesn't need the bike to commute. I just don't know how to assess if he's ready for riding in traffic.

Later I traded it in for a 360 El Bandito ...... :cool:
A Greeves was my last dirt bike then it was all street.
Nice......that brings up a lot of memories.

I had a friend that was a factory rider for Penton and later KTM........he competed in the ISDE in Europe.

Myself, I rode and loved Husqvarna for several years.

Owned and rode more dirt bikes and street bikes than I can count. Bultaco, Yamaha, Kawaski, Montesa, Hodaka, Husky, Triumph, BSA......and a dozen different Harleys.......wide glides, super glides, soft tail

Later got into Trials......was a ranked a top rider in both Oklahoma and Texas circuits.

Been motorcycle crazy since my Dad bought me one when I was 14 ....... :cool:

All good advice but he has the bike, he's 18 and has no riding experience. I failed to mention he has his own car so he doesn't need the bike to commute. I just don't know how to assess if he's ready for riding in traffic.
Take him to the local Walmart parking lot.
Have him ride one strip to another FULL lot x 10.
That's traffic at a slow speed.

Forum List

Back