Adult Children

Well that's good news, but I am still curious as to who is legally responsible for co-pays and out of network whatnots. The patient or the policy holder?

if you choose to have him on your policy it would be you....

He signed the paper. He has no problem sharing that info. My beef is that he had to. But if he got kicked out of school, I don't think hed be sharing that with us right away. And that's something ANY parent deserves to know. What if a kid threatens suicide? Should the parent be called?

It doesn't need to be a matter of law in the moment if you set it up at the school and with the doctor so that his consent stands on the record and you retain your rights.

The law exists to protect the right of the 18 year old adult.

What if a kid threatens suicide? Should the parent be called?

Not if he is over 18...unless he is in the hospital and deemed unfit to make medical decisions. That might be a situation where the next of kin would be notified.

But the medical staff caring for him would be riding his ass to encourage him to bring his family into the picture.

Well that's good news, but I am still curious as to who is legally responsible for co-pays and out of network whatnots. The patient or the policy holder?

if you choose to have him on your policy it would be you....

Not necessarily. The policy holder of the insurance and the guarnator of payment do not necessarily have to be the same individual. It is not like a credit card.

18 year old adult sounds like an oxymoron to me. I teach high school. The only 18 year olds I consider adults are in the military. Hell - I teach at least 5 teen moms - and trust me - they are children too.

I actually wrote on the stupid form to share ANYTHING and everything with me. I was actually more considered about his health than grades.

He signed the paper. He has no problem sharing that info. My beef is that he had to. But if he got kicked out of school, I don't think hed be sharing that with us right away. And that's something ANY parent deserves to know. What if a kid threatens suicide? Should the parent be called?

I'd suggest the kid be put onto a university insurance plan. When he leaves school, he needs to be responsible for costs. It sounds like you are paying for tuition and such, since I couldn't and my kids knew that from middle school, they KNEW they'd be paying for it. Indeed with that reality, all 3, even the 'confused one' qualified for scholarship for academics and two of them for sports/music. The youngest was very debt adverse, he became an RA in 2nd year and continued through all but last semester. He did take a year to do an internship, necessary for his major. He graduated owing less than $3k.

My daughter ended up 'tutoring' other music majors and also graduated without much debt, in spite of severe learning disabilities.

Even the 'goof off' paid down his debt while working, now the debt is 'held' without interest because of income, while he resumes his studies. Am I paying his insurance now? No. He has his own apartment and I will NOT be helping him with books. He had his chance and went the hard way. My guess, he'll do very well down the road.

18 year old adult sounds like an oxymoron to me. I teach high school. The only 18 year olds I consider adults are in the military. Hell - I teach at least 5 teen moms - and trust me - they are children too.

I actually wrote on the stupid form to share ANYTHING and everything with me. I was actually more considered about his health than grades.

Having a 19 year old son, I understand entirely...

The age of majority is the threshold of adulthood as it is conceptualized (and recognized or declared) in law. It is the chronological moment when a child legally ceases to be considered a minor and assumes control over their persons, actions and decisions, thereby terminating the legal control and legal responsibilities of their parents or guardian over and for them. The word majority here refers to having greater years and being of full age; it is opposed to minority, the state of being a minor. The law in a given jurisdiction may never actually use the term "age of majority" and the term thereby refers to a collection of laws bestowing the status of adulthood. The age of majority is a legally fixed age, concept or statutory principle, which may differ depending on the jurisdiction, and may not necessarily correspond to actual mental or physical maturity of an individual.

In practical terms, there are certain specific actions which a person who attains the age of majority is permitted to take, which they could not do before. These may include entering into a binding contract, buying stocks, voting, buying and/or consuming alcoholic beverages, driving motor vehicles on public roads, and marrying without obtaining consent of others. The ages at which these various rights or powers may be exercised vary as between the various rights and as between different jurisdictions. For example, the ages at which a person may obtain a license to drive a car or consume alcoholic beverages vary considerably between and also within jurisdictions.

Although a person may attain the age of majority in a particular jurisdiction, he or she may still be subject to age-based restrictions, such as the right to stand for elective office, act as a judge, and many other matters.
Age of majority - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

At 18 I became completely financially independent of my parents. I worked full time and went to college part time. It had been my goal since I was about 15 and I worked all through high school to save up the money to get started on my own. There are plenty of people who became independent at even earlier ages. If you think your kids aren't grown up enough, give them the boot. They will probably surprise you on how fast they grow up then.

At 18 I became completely financially independent of my parents. I worked full time and went to college part time. It had been my goal since I was about 15 and I worked all through high school to save up the money to get started on my own. There are plenty of people who became independent at even earlier ages. If you think your kids aren't grown up enough, give them the boot. They will probably surprise you on how fast they grow up then.

I totally agree. My story is similar, but my son is a full time college student, though not totally dependent. He was never led him to believe that he would be "entitled" to anything that he hasn't earned.

Still, I don't consider him an adult and expect I'll somehow be responsible for him until he graduates.

Forum List

Back