Ad casts McCain as strong, patriotic leader

Discussion in 'Congress' started by Gunny, Mar 30, 2008.

1. LordBrownTrout

LordBrownTrout Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,887

Walk up to someone on the street and ask them a few questions about what's going on in this country and most can only generalize. They're in their world and nothing else matters. Sad, actually.

2. CrimsonWhite

CrimsonWhite *****istrator Emeritus Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,754
    How about daily beatings by the Vietnamese for five and half years? Twenty years of honorable service in the navy? Do these count toward strong and patriotic? What exactly is your litmus test test for strong and patriotic?

I don't fully agree with McCain's policy on immigration, but at least he has a policy. Besides, he has stated time and again that border security is the first priority. Also, everyone here speaks as if the Kennedy-McCain Bill would immediatley make all illegals legal and the heavens would part and the blessings of america would be bestowed upon the illegals in form of free 7-11's and motels. That is not the case. Read the damn bill. There is a 13 year waiting period and criteria to meet during those 13 years.

3. CrimsonWhite

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,754
    No, that means a large percent were apathetic and don't care. Therefore their opinions don't matter. If that large a portion did not want him, then they should have gotten their happy asses out and voted.

4. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27,059
    McCain has some very good qualities that are deserving of respect. Those qualities do not, however, make him appropriate to run the country. He doesn't know the difference between Shi'a and Sunni. He knows nothing about economic policy at a time when we're facing a recession. I figure those two shortcomings mean he should have other jobs, but not the presidency. And again, that has nothing to do with disrespecting his service and fortitude.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. CrimsonWhite

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,754
    I can respect your position in not supporting him. But the issue was "strong and patriotic."

6. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27,059
    I know. But I felt it important to address the things you said about him in terms of his run for the presidency. FWIW, if it weren't for the fact that he'll have to appoint supreme court justices, I wouldn't dislike McCain as president. But I couldn't in good conscience trust someone with that responsibility who thinks it's okay to speak at Bob Jones U and get cozy with psycho preachers.....

Now, in terms of your initial point, I agree. There's nothing that indicates his being in favor of pure amnesty. Personally, I don't think it's a weakness to look at the problem realistically.

7. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,776
    Your comment showcases your ignorance.

There ALREADY IS a path to citizenship.

If anyone's got an emotion-based argument, it would be you. My argument is documented US law that is not being enforced.

Yours is based on baseless financial fearmongering and an emotional appeal to your version of "humanity."

8. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,776

Wrong. Each and every illegal alien within the borders of the US has committed at least one crime -- that of illegally being here.

The soultion is simple. Enforce the laws we have, and you're wasting your breath on that "how much is it going to cost the taxpayer?" junk.

How much is it costing the taxpayer NOW? Y'know, the ones who are being bled dry to prop up a social infrastructure that is not being financially supported by illegals? THAT one.

How much is it going to cost the taxpayer when after being handed citizenship without earning it, their appeal to employers just disappeared because they have to b e paid minimum wage and those employers fire them and hire the next bunch of illegals?

How much does it cost to support the newest bottom rung on the ladder of unemployed leeches you CAN'T get rid of because YOU made them legal?

Get real.

9. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,416
    Simple solution. Arrest every illegal alien we catch and DEPORT them with a flag on their file so if they return we lock them up and charge the country they came from for their jail expenses till we can deport their sorry asses again.

Fine every company that illegally hires illegals, including as nannies and gardeners. As the law stipulates. Round up all the illegals at these companies and make the Company pay to deport them back to their country of origin.

Secure the Southern Border. With walls and fences and ARMED patrols. Put in jail every runner that brings in illegals and if they are not natural born citizens strip their citizenship and deport them to their country of origin when they are done in jail.

Shut down any company that routinely violates the law in regards illegals working for them. Shut down the jobs and eventually the illegals will get the message there is NO work for them here.

As for our problems with certain work forces and need for jobs... if your healthy and on welfare guess what the State should be doing with your ass? Put all the illegals in jail to work for prison pay till we deport their asses back home.

10. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,776
    You're appealing to emotion. Whatever the litmus test, twenty years of service does not automatically make one patriotic, nor even strong. I've run into a few on these boards I would consider neither, but claim to have 20 years of service.

McCain's time in the military and time as a POW are what they are. I demean them in no way. I question his politics NOW.

A policy that is detrimental to this Nation. Now DO note the difference between calling McCain unpatriotic, which I did not, and not considering his political vision as the manifestation of patriotism, as the article implies.