Ad casts McCain as strong, patriotic leader

Gunny

Gold Member
Dec 27, 2004
The Republic of Texas
From Emily Sherman
CNN Washington Bureau

(CNN) -- Sen. John McCain launched his first general election ad Friday, portraying the presumptive Republican presidential nominee as an experienced, strong and patriotic leader.

"John McCain. The American president American's have been waiting for," the ad's narrator says.

In what appears to be a shot at Democratic candidate Sen. Barack Obama's message of change, campaign officials said the purpose of the ad is to show "John McCain has the experience to make change," echoing a line the the Democratic candidate, Sen. Hillary Clinton, has used on the campaign trail.

more ... http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/03/28/mccain.ad/index.html

I have a hard time seeing anyone willing to sell out the sovereignty of the US border as "strong and patriotic."

Doesn't matter who gets elected, the border will remain open and amnesty will be on the table with any of the 3 willing to sign it.

As someone living close to the border, it's extremely evident that our border laws are not working. And our tax dollars pay an overwhelming amount to house and feed illegals that we have detained. It's really out of control. Any president who is willing to suck in more illegals by providing amnesty is not someone I consider to be strong and patriotic.

Doesn't matter who gets elected, the border will remain open and amnesty will be on the table with any of the 3 willing to sign it.

Yeah, I know. Who's going to oppose it? The spineless Congressional Republicans who probably cringe and hide under the covers at the thought of being labelled racists for actually doing the right thing?

As someone living close to the border, it's extremely evident that our border laws are not working. And our tax dollars pay an overwhelming amount to house and feed illegals that we have detained. It's really out of control. Any president who is willing to suck in more illegals by providing amnesty is not someone I consider to be strong and patriotic.

Agreed, his policies on illegal immigration, definetly leave a lot to be desired. I do believe though his overall platform he is running on is light years ahead of the competitors. Are we ever going to get a canidiate we completely agree with on every issue?

Why dont you guys tell us your solution and then tell us how much it will cost?

There are real reasons to include a path to citizenship for those already here.

What you all want is some emotion based result which is inhumain and will cost this country billions.

How are we paying to house and feed them?

Is there a cost effective way to keep them out?

Why dont you guys tell us your solution and then tell us how much it will cost?

There are real reasons to include a path to citizenship for those already here.

What you all want is some emotion based result which is inhumain and will cost this country billions.

Your assumption is based on lack of informatin from each one of the posters in this thread. No one said that all illegals should go back to mexico or that we should never allow illegals in again.

I have no problem with someone coming here to work and raise a family legally. But that's not we're talking about is it. We're talking about illegal immigration. If you want to defend the guys that come over and join the Mexican Sydicate and then murder innocent civilians for fun, than that's a terrible personal choice of your own.

We addressed illegal immigration. If a president wants to just up and forgive everyone that has come over here illegally, than all of the criminals that came illegally will be forgiven as well and be permitted to stay.

If you want to come over here and work and become a U.S. citizen legally, then that's fine, but when you break a law, you break a law. If you stowed away to Mexico and broke their law, you would be punished. Same thing with any other country.

Very few are involved in crime.

They come because we provide them jobs which allow them to feed entire extended families in their homelands.

We provide them no legal way in to do the jobs we allow them to come over and do.

There is like an 18 year waiting list to get in and do it legally.

Our own laws and insistance of not enforcing what laws we do have has caused this whole situation.

Now tell me your solution and how much its going to cost the tax payer?

Agreed, his policies on illegal immigration, definetly leave a lot to be desired. I do believe though his overall platform he is running on is light years ahead of the competitors. Are we ever going to get a canidiate we completely agree with on every issue?

Well, you could have had a guy who, based on your positions, you would have agreed with on everything except foreign policy. Ron Paul. You also could have had Fred Thompson, who has a way better conservative record than Romney or McCain, but instead, America chose McCain.

McCain is nowhere near "light years" ahead. The guy can't even figure out on his own what he believes. I'm FOR the tax cuts, I'm AGAINST the tax cuts. When he was against them, he had a good reason for it...no spending cuts accompanying them.

Now, he's FOR them, and that's obviously only because it's an election year, and tax cuts have been made into one of the flavors of the Republican base, mainly by the MSM. Republican voters don't care about spending cuts anymore NEARLY as much as they care about tax cuts. McCain will not be cutting any spending. The man is going to sell this country out just as Hillary or Obama would.

He's an establishment-backed media darling, just like the Dem candidates.

You're not going to get what you truely want in this country out of a candidate until you're willing to put your name behind a candidate who isn't as well known.

Check out http://www.paulcongress.com/Candidates.html. These are all the men and women running for federal and state congress that have REAL conservative records to back up their rhetoric.

It's not just about the president, jreeves. There's probably going to still be a Dem majority in congress after this election anyway, so the only things McCain is going to be able to push through are his most liberal agendas, and he's obviously got more than a few of those.

Think locally, dude. Canvass your community and help get REAL CONSERVATIVES elected, not the fake kind.

Very few are involved in crime.

They come because we provide them jobs which allow them to feed entire extended families in their homelands.
Agreed that many have, but many have not---there's a guy (among many) that drives around my old homtown. He has no job, and he's as illegal as they come

We provide them no legal way in to do the jobs we allow them to come over and do.
??? that's what you call applying for citizen ship and passing the citizenship test.

There is like an 18 year waiting list to get in and do it legally.
??you have proof of this?

Our own laws and insistance of not enforcing what laws we do have has caused this whole situation.

AGREED

Now tell me your solution and how much its going to cost the tax payer?

Well, as far as taxpayers go, there's certainly tax money that is spent out there that is spent for far more rediculous reasons than improving and enforcing immigration laws. And as far as money goes...the government has been notorious for printing up more money when they need it. That's why the value of our dollar has decreased.

Paulitics,

I agree with most of what you said, however, America did not choose McCain. You but the percentage of voters that did not vote for McCain with the number of Americans that don't vote, you've got an overwhelming majority of people who didn't vote for McCain. The way I look at it, if McCain wins a state with 30-40 percent of the vote, that means 60-70 percent of the voters did not want him.

While I have no plan on voting for Mccain and hope he doesn't stoop too low for the evangelical vote I'm pretty sure he will pounce on the mid east like a cougar at a frat party and validate enough conservatives to get them to grudgingly accept the illegal alien issue. The Lieberman connection couldn't be more obvious if he were busted using the Israeli flag like a lubed masterbatory sock. However, I have no doubt that Mccain is a patriot and experienced and would make a better leader than george bush ever was.

That being said, yes, there are many, MANY ways to secure the border as long as border security is worthwhile enough to circumvent the "it costs too much so lets keep the floodgates open" reaction. While, I'm convinced we will see another round of '86 style reagan solutions to illegal immigration i'd start with encouraging the minuteman patrol, tap retired seniors and create RV park "watch stations", build a wall where ncessary and patrol where a wall doesn't seem to work, get draconian about deporting illegals (especially those who use fake documents as personal ID), etc etc..

hell, if push came to shove we annex 100 miles of Mexico and create the 51st state, deport illegals to this state and let their path to citizenship start there.

While I have no plan on voting for Mccain and hope he doesn't stoop too low for the evangelical vote I'm pretty sure he will pounce on the mid east like a cougar at a frat party and validate enough conservatives to get them to grudgingly accept the illegal alien issue. The Lieberman connection couldn't be more obvious if he were busted using the Israeli flag like a lubed masterbatory sock. However, I have no doubt that Mccain is a patriot and experienced and would make a better leader than george bush ever was.

That being said, yes, there are many, MANY ways to secure the border as long as border security is worthwhile enough to circumvent the "it costs too much so lets keep the floodgates open" reaction. While, I'm convinced we will see another round of '86 style reagan solutions to illegal immigration i'd start with encouraging the minuteman patrol, tap retired seniors and create RV park "watch stations", build a wall where ncessary and patrol where a wall doesn't seem to work, get draconian about deporting illegals (especially those who use fake documents as personal ID), etc etc..

hell, if push came to shove we annex 100 miles of Mexico and create the 51st state, deport illegals to this state and let their path to citizenship start there.

So eloquently put...:iagree:

Paulitics,

I agree with most of what you said, however, America did not choose McCain. You but the percentage of voters that did not vote for McCain with the number of Americans that don't vote, you've got an overwhelming majority of people who didn't vote for McCain. The way I look at it, if McCain wins a state with 30-40 percent of the vote, that means 60-70 percent of the voters did not want him.

Well, by America I meant the ones who voted for him. I'd say probably 80% of the ones who voted for him only did so because the media said so, and they knew everyone else would too.

God forbid you vote for someone else, even though they "can't win". That's WHY they can't win. Because everyone thinks they can't and would rather vote for "a winner". What exactly is "a winner"? Someone the media SAYS is a winner?

Everytime the media talked about Ron Paul...EVERY SINGLE TIME...they made sure to mention that he was "a long shot", "a dark horse", etc. EVERY TIME. So that's probably where the idea that "he can't win" came from.

I campaigned for Ron Paul all season. 50% of the people I reached when I canvassed said they liked him, but didn't want to vote for him because "he can't win". How pathetic. That was the word from all over the country from everyone who campaigned for Paul. People are afraid to vote for anyone that isn't already basically pre-selected. Voters in this country are fucking robots anymore.

Until we step up and tell the media we'll pick our OWN candidate, we're always going to get the short end of the stick.

Well, by America I meant the ones who voted for him. I'd say probably 80% of the ones who voted for him only did so because the media said so, and they knew everyone else would too.

God forbid you vote for someone else, even though they "can't win". That's WHY they can't win. Because everyone thinks they can't and would rather vote for "a winner". What exactly is "a winner"? Someone the media SAYS is a winner?

Everytime the media talked about Ron Paul...EVERY SINGLE TIME...they made sure to mention that he was "a long shot", "a dark horse", etc. EVERY TIME. So that's probably where the idea that "he can't win" came from.

I campaigned for Ron Paul all season. 50% of the people I reached when I canvassed said they liked him, but didn't want to vote for him because "he can't win". How pathetic. That was the word from all over the country from everyone who campaigned for Paul. People are afraid to vote for anyone that isn't already basically pre-selected. Voters in this country are fucking robots anymore.

Until we step up and tell the media we'll pick our OWN candidate, we're always going to get the short end of the stick.

Agreed, a good friend of mine is a Paul supporter. Quite a few here in the South. The media plays a huge role, unfortunately. If everyone would just vote for who they wanted, we'd be alot better off. We had people here vote (Rep.) voting for hillary so that McCain could beat her in the general election. Rediculous and unethical if you ask me.

We had people here vote (Rep.) voting for hillary so that McCain could beat her in the general election. Rediculous and unethical if you ask me.

Right. People like that don't care about the country, they care about the party, and beating the OTHER party. And actually, they don't even care about THAT, because McCain is a shit-stain on the Republican Party. It's just a fucking GAME to most voters.

Our government isn't a sports game between two teams, it's serious fucking business. If I didn't believe in liberty the way I do, I'd say people like that should have their voting rights taken away. But then I'd be no better than the next fascist authoritarian piece of shit.

If I'm correct, I think more people tune in to vote for American Idol, isn't that aburd?!!

If I'm correct, I think more people tune in to vote for American Idol, isn't that aburd?!!

Well, in retrospect, all the little kiddies under 18 are also participating in the American Idol vote, but still, you could probably make the argument that more people CARE about A.I. than they do about the state of our government and country. And that's probably worse, because voting ALONE is not the answer to our current problems anyway. People need to get off their asses and take action now, it's THAT SERIOUS.

true, I didn't think about that. I agree with what you say, unfortunately, our election system is jacked to begin with. Superdelegates, the way states devide their delegates differently, etc...

Forum List

Back