Acute Attack of Gout Cured by 3 Day Marathon Posting on USMB

Procrustes Stretched

And you say, "Oh my God, am I here all alone?"
Dec 1, 2008
Positively 4th Street
Thank you usmb. feeling much better, and for all you new comers who haven't signed up as members yet, just think of teh possible miracles you could achieve if and when you join

Hallelujah! Bring on the cereal killers.

Natural selection by mutated genes.
funny thing is I wonder about the metabolic syndrome.

Family history and such. Have had great medical care so am pretty lucky
It is all fascinating to me. I am having a tough time with some of the words they use in all the medical jargon though. Some of what the universities have put online is helping lot. I studied parasites back in 2007 and onward after finding some weird ones in our fish in the pond. That was also fascinating to me as there was so little information available online then.

Dad suffered with really bad bouts of gout so every time I come across an article now that mentions it I check into when I have the time.
Most gout sufferers refuse to take the meds and or measures that would make life more bearable.
Dad's pretty much got healed up with diet intake. He wouldn't listen fully though and get a water system in their house. The nitrates in the water took out his arteries and eventually all his internal organs.

Dad suffered with really bad bouts of gout so every time I come across an article now that mentions it I check into when I have the time.
Most gout sufferers refuse to take the meds and or measures that would make life more bearable.
Dad's pretty much got healed up with diet intake. He wouldn't listen fully though and get a water system in their house. The nitrates in the water took out his arteries and eventually all his internal organs.
purine in the food, nitrates in the watah....oh what a world, what a world.

Dad was skinny as a rail with his gout.

A list of foods at the University of Maryland that maybe can help you see what may be helpful to avoid. In the oil selection if I were cooking for dad I would have included using daily a little Safflower oil (full of vitamin E which helps put extra oxygen into the muscles- oxygen is needed by the body to heal and regenerate its own cells) and Sunflower oil (a natural heavy metal chelator). Also making sure he got enough magnesium (a tiny bit of Epsom Salt) in his diet every day and taken processed granulated sugars out as much as possible and replaced sugar needs with Coconut sugar, Maple syrup, Molasses (Ginger bread is delicious I use grated fresh ginger and honey in mine; a little ginger each day is also good for ya), and honey. Elderberry's are also good as a natural antitoxin; it can be bought in a concentrate form even at Walmart. No diet sugar replacements. I don't see Broccoli on their list or Carrots. Eat a variety of vegetables. Artichokes are also good for helping relieve gout.

Gout
What Causes It?
The body produces too much uric acid, doesn't excrete enough uric acid, or both. The acid accumulates in tissues in the form of needle-like crystals that cause pain. Uric acid is formed when the body digests purines, compounds found in some foods and beverages, including dried beans, liver, wine, and beer. Gout generally occurs because of a predisposition to the condition, but it can result from blood disorders or cancers, such as leukemia, or the use of certain drugs. Risk factors include:
  • Family history of gout
  • High levels of triglycerides
  • Drinking too much alcohol
  • Eating foods rich in purines, such as meat, shellfish, and sweetbreads.
  • Surgery
  • Metabolic syndrome

• Nutrition and Supplements
    These nutritional tips may help reduce symptoms:

• Eliminate potential food allergens, including dairy, wheat (gluten), corn, preservatives, and food additives. Your health care provider may test for food sensitivities.
    • Eat antioxidant foods, including fruits (such as blueberries, cherries, and tomatoes), and vegetables (such as squash and bell peppers). Some nutrition-minded doctors promote a low fructose diet to treat gout. Another theory states that one half pound of cherries per day (fresh or frozen) for 2 weeks lowers uric acid and prevents attacks. Cherry juice (8 to 16 oz. per day) is also helpful.
    • Eat more high fiber foods, including oats, root vegetables (such as potatoes and yams), and psyllium seed.
    • Avoid refined foods, such as white breads, pastas, and sugar.
    • Eat fewer red meats and more lean meats, cold-water fish, tofu (soy, if no allergy) or beans for protein.
    • Cut down on foods containing oxalate, such as spinach, rhubarb, beets, nuts, chocolate, black tea, wheat bran, strawberries, and beans.
    • Include foods rich in magnesium and low in calcium, such as barley, bran, corn, rye, oats, soy, brown rice, avocado, banana, and potato.
    • Restrict purines in your diet. Foods with a high purine content include beef, goose, organ meats, sweetbreads, mussels, anchovies, herring, mackerel, and yeast. Foods with a moderate amount of purines include meats, poultry, fish, and shellfish not listed above. Spinach, asparagus, beans, lentils, mushrooms, and dried peas also contain moderate amounts of purines.
    • Use healthy cooking oils, such as olive oil or coconut oil.
    • Reduce or eliminate trans fatty acids, found in commercially-baked goods, such as cookies, crackers, cakes, French fries, onion rings, donuts, processed foods, and margarine.
    • Avoid alcohol, and tobacco.
    • Drink 6 to 8 glasses of filtered water daily to help flush uric acid from the body. Dehydration often triggers a gout attack.
    • Exercise at least 30 minutes daily, 5 days a week.
    • Avoid sugar sweetened soft drinks. Diet soft drinks have not been associated with the risk of gout.

Other ailments USMB cures:

1) Sanity.

2) Critical thinking.

3) Even-temperedness.

If you are plagued by persistent logic, reasonableness, and common sense, please visit your nearest USMB outlet for immediate relief.

Forum List

Back