"Active Shooter" video game lets you be school shooter

I think one overlooked aspect here in the "gun/mass killing culture" discussion is the ubiquitous presence of media. Were there mass shootings 50 years ago? Yes, there were, but there were far, far fewer methods by which you could learn about it. You had a handful of networks on TV to tell you about them and then the newspapers and magazines. And that's only if they wanted to tell you about it: if they thought it was important for you to know about it.

Compare that to now. 24 hour "news" networks, a computer in your pocket/purse at all times, minuscule moments of downtime filled with someone checking out their facebook feed or whatever on their phone. You have 24/7 access to news no matter where you are, from a hell of a lot more sources of it who all have both their opinions on what you should know and also their own profit motives. Sex sells. Violence sells. Controversy sells. It all gets more eyeballs and ears which fuel that profit motive. So when a school shooting happens, what follows? Ubiquitous coverage, lots of outlets digging for every last detail to feed their rabid audience that wants to know about the shooter and the people who died. They keep it alive by using it to talk about gun control, and what could be done to stop this horrible tragedy. It makes one really question whether or not they want to stop it from happening since it's covered so breathlessly and so completely because there's an audience that craves it. But to the original point: the fact that it happened is shoved in your face and smeared around for days on end: it makes it feel that much more prevalent and that much more of an issue because, as stated, overall homicide is down.

Furthermore, if mass shootings were really our culture, if it was "normal", then no one would pay attention to it cause people don't really care about shit that's normal: it's the abnormal that gets people's attention. People see that and go "wow, that's crazy, i need to know more." If you want to talk about culture, if anything, it's that our culture is obsessed with watching/consuming violence but not committing it. These school shootings are universally condemned as horrible and terrible and tragic but that doesn't stop us from consuming the aftermath of it. We play violent videogames, see violent movies and tv shows and see the aftermath of actual violence on our TVs/devices every single day. Those who aren't directly affected by a mass shooting can't appreciate the impact of it because it blends into the tapestry of violence we consume daily. So if anything, our culture is one that doesn't condone or encourage violence against others but is quite eager to consume the fictitious depiction of it and the quite real aftermath of it.
There was a mass shooting in 1966 and not another until 1984. 18 years. Then another in 1986, and from there they started happening with more regularity.

I agree with you that the 24/7 news channels and the news on social media keeps sensationalized news from around the country on our plate all the time, giving the impression we are just a mess. However, it is not true that 50 years ago there were as many mass shootings as there are now. This is really easy to watch/no reading to speak of.
A timeline of mass shootings in the United States
I never denied that, although statistics on this are very hard to gather and the definition of "mass" shooting has been a moving target throughout the years.

You're wanting to blame our culture for the rise of mass shootings, and i don't blame you for wanting to find an answer to a very disturbing and confounding problem. I just provided you a way to effectively do that while also being able to acknowledge that we are a safer society by the homicide rate as mass shootings increase. If i were to suggest some place for you to land on this, it would be that our culture of consuming but not condoning violence makes it easier for people who aren't quite right in the head (for whatever reason) to justify in their head moving from consuming/thinking about/fantasizing about violence to committing violence in a way that'll get a whole lot of attention: attention that they probably didn't get enough of in their head which would be a factor in leading them to commit violence.

That's where i land on this anyway.
I think that is a sensible place to land, and I never said it was an all or nothing proposition. I believe media violence is at least a reflection of our violence loving culture. The grisly reason homicide rates are down from 50 years ago is that the ER is saving a lot more shooting victims. They never collected data on shooting victims who survived, so no comparison can be made, but I would be surprised if the number of shooting victims has not risen.
Although some people here protest anyone over 30 having a memory, I remember a time when mass shootings didn't happen with regularity and even gang members were using knives, not guns. Things are not headed in the right direction at the moment, imo.
violent crime is down, not just homicide. That means the ER doesn't account for the decrease in violent crime, but only to a decrease in homocide alone.

you can look stuff up, yannow.
You could provide a link, yannow, supporting your "statistics."
I did yesterday you little creep! (kidding)

I think one overlooked aspect here in the "gun/mass killing culture" discussion is the ubiquitous presence of media. Were there mass shootings 50 years ago? Yes, there were, but there were far, far fewer methods by which you could learn about it. You had a handful of networks on TV to tell you about them and then the newspapers and magazines. And that's only if they wanted to tell you about it: if they thought it was important for you to know about it.

Compare that to now. 24 hour "news" networks, a computer in your pocket/purse at all times, minuscule moments of downtime filled with someone checking out their facebook feed or whatever on their phone. You have 24/7 access to news no matter where you are, from a hell of a lot more sources of it who all have both their opinions on what you should know and also their own profit motives. Sex sells. Violence sells. Controversy sells. It all gets more eyeballs and ears which fuel that profit motive. So when a school shooting happens, what follows? Ubiquitous coverage, lots of outlets digging for every last detail to feed their rabid audience that wants to know about the shooter and the people who died. They keep it alive by using it to talk about gun control, and what could be done to stop this horrible tragedy. It makes one really question whether or not they want to stop it from happening since it's covered so breathlessly and so completely because there's an audience that craves it. But to the original point: the fact that it happened is shoved in your face and smeared around for days on end: it makes it feel that much more prevalent and that much more of an issue because, as stated, overall homicide is down.

Furthermore, if mass shootings were really our culture, if it was "normal", then no one would pay attention to it cause people don't really care about shit that's normal: it's the abnormal that gets people's attention. People see that and go "wow, that's crazy, i need to know more." If you want to talk about culture, if anything, it's that our culture is obsessed with watching/consuming violence but not committing it. These school shootings are universally condemned as horrible and terrible and tragic but that doesn't stop us from consuming the aftermath of it. We play violent videogames, see violent movies and tv shows and see the aftermath of actual violence on our TVs/devices every single day. Those who aren't directly affected by a mass shooting can't appreciate the impact of it because it blends into the tapestry of violence we consume daily. So if anything, our culture is one that doesn't condone or encourage violence against others but is quite eager to consume the fictitious depiction of it and the quite real aftermath of it.
There was a mass shooting in 1966 and not another until 1984. 18 years. Then another in 1986, and from there they started happening with more regularity.

I agree with you that the 24/7 news channels and the news on social media keeps sensationalized news from around the country on our plate all the time, giving the impression we are just a mess. However, it is not true that 50 years ago there were as many mass shootings as there are now. This is really easy to watch/no reading to speak of.
easter sunday massacre 1975
Wilkes Barre shooting 1982
Wae Mee 1983
orangeburg massacre 1968
fullerton massacre 1976
Shall i continue?

Wae Mee 1983
orangeburg massacre 1968
fullerton massacre 1976
Shall i continue?
Where did those come from? Why do I not remember any of them until the McDonalds shooting? I know I didn't watch a lot of tv in those days, but I did hear the radio on the way to work.

Wae Mee 1983
orangeburg massacre 1968
fullerton massacre 1976
Shall i continue?
Where did those come from? Why do I not remember any of them until the McDonalds shooting? I know I didn't watch a lot of tv in those days, but I did hear the radio on the way to work.
I have a bunch more.
Those dont include gang shootings.

I never denied that, although statistics on this are very hard to gather and the definition of "mass" shooting has been a moving target throughout the years.

You're wanting to blame our culture for the rise of mass shootings, and i don't blame you for wanting to find an answer to a very disturbing and confounding problem. I just provided you a way to effectively do that while also being able to acknowledge that we are a safer society by the homicide rate as mass shootings increase. If i were to suggest some place for you to land on this, it would be that our culture of consuming but not condoning violence makes it easier for people who aren't quite right in the head (for whatever reason) to justify in their head moving from consuming/thinking about/fantasizing about violence to committing violence in a way that'll get a whole lot of attention: attention that they probably didn't get enough of in their head which would be a factor in leading them to commit violence.

That's where i land on this anyway.
I think that is a sensible place to land, and I never said it was an all or nothing proposition. I believe media violence is at least a reflection of our violence loving culture. The grisly reason homicide rates are down from 50 years ago is that the ER is saving a lot more shooting victims. They never collected data on shooting victims who survived, so no comparison can be made, but I would be surprised if the number of shooting victims has not risen.
Although some people here protest anyone over 30 having a memory, I remember a time when mass shootings didn't happen with regularity and even gang members were using knives, not guns. Things are not headed in the right direction at the moment, imo.
violent crime is down, not just homicide. That means the ER doesn't account for the decrease in violent crime, but only to a decrease in homocide alone.

you can look stuff up, yannow.
You could provide a link, yannow, supporting your "statistics."
I did yesterday you little creep! (kidding)
You sure? Copy it for me? You have a better idea of where in these 20 pages it might be than I do.

Grover Cleveland school shooting 1979
a girl killed 2 and shot 11 total
she used this non scary looking gun

320px-Ruger-1022.jpg

Wae Mee 1983
orangeburg massacre 1968
fullerton massacre 1976
Shall i continue?
I have a bunch more.
I don't remember them. Where did you get this list?

Wae Mee 1983
orangeburg massacre 1968
fullerton massacre 1976
Shall i continue?
I have a bunch more.
I don't remember them. Where did you get this list?

You dont remember them because the fear mongering wasnt surrounding it then, i imagine. You didnt have the internet. You didnt have spybook. You didnt have as many people begging the govt to take rights away.

No offense, but your son needs to get his head straight. The Sims is an awesome game. :D

I never could get in to that one.. Of course, i havent played any newer ones. So maybe its better.
Im talking like the very first one that came out on computer lol

I loved the first SimCity. Moon hotels! I built a lot of geodesic domes on the moon. In the Tokyo one, they had a Godzilla! That was very funny.

Sims City is pretty good.

He did like it and got into it for awhile, but shooting zombies and mowing down people on sidewalks was his favorite.

It's not a figment of your imagination - the error, so to speak, in your reasoning is that you're using anecdotes and deciding that culture as a whole behaves this way.

Even if there were 100 school shootings a year, our culture does not "behave this way," that's still a very OUTLIER statistic from the norm.

If you didn't impose anecdotes on everyone, i.e. fallacy of over-generalization, you'd be able to see the clearer picture.

School shootings up - overall homicide down = less violent, per capita, as a culture.
You have been trying to convince me for two days now that we are less violent a culture than we were thirty or forty years ago. To what end, G.T. Where do we go from here? Is it simply to correct me? I have looked at the stats. You aren't wrong. I am still very concerned about the increasing mass shootings that are happening in places all over the country with more and more frequency and you are saying this is not a reflection of our culture? Whose or what culture is it, then, if not ours? It may be an outlier, but it is sure making itself felt all over the country. We can't ignore it and say we're fine because we're murdering less people now than we did in 1990. You are puzzling me.
If your family has 100, 000 people in it and 5 of them like to pee in public...

is the culture of your 100,000 person family one of public pissers?

It's a disturbed thing to say that our culture is one of mass shooters . .when not only are mass shooters less than the scenario I painted above ....but 5 in 100,000 would be ALL homicides....not just school shooters, which makes it even MORE heinous to try to paint this as a "thing of our culture."

its totally not, CLEARLY. Its the culture of a handful of jerkoffs out of 320 fuckin MILLION people....NOT of everyone else.
If it's not our culture, why are we coming up with GTA and Active Shooter and why is shooting people such a staple of the entertainment industry? What would you call it? Just because you don't LIKE them doesn't mean they aren't ours, G.T. We gotta own them and we gotta figure out what to do about them.
Whoa -

So you're willing to say that this millionth of a fraction of mentally ill idiots - speaks for our entire culture?

I just hope that you know how preposterous that actually is.

If one kid swears in my Kylie's kindergarten class, I wouldn't even call that 1 in 25 the "culture of the class," unfairly....let alone it being one in tens of millions.

This is not an accurate perspective, by any means, of the situation. It's actually quite crazy to think of it in those terms.

Even if 1% of our "culture" were homicidal school shooters, we'd have 3 million 200 school shooters. That broad-brush crap doesn't stand to reason.
G.T., I'm not the one who's crazy here. You can't just say a growing number of disturbed individuals in this country are not part of our culture. No, of course saying our culture has to own them doesn't mean everyone thinks like them or is disturbed or psychopathic like them. I know you personally didn't produce Cruz; neither did I. But he grew up right here in this US of A .

It's you, you unrealistic Utopia-wanter! Americans like guns, we don't care if you don't.

What would you do when a pack of 11 feral dogs were coming up on your domesticated dog and his buddy he just..jailbreaked from where he lives to go swimming? I know what I did. There was no blood spilled, but that pack of feral dogs went scrambling away.

320px-Ruger-1022.jpg

If she had an AR-15 with 30 round clips, you can bet your ass the body count would have been MUCH higher.
Yes because every time an ar is used, the count is higher, right?
The logic... where is it?

You don't know much about guns if you are saying that. The reason the body count would be higher is because an AR carries more ammo, and is semi automatic in firing, which means the rate of fire for the AR-15 is going to be much higher than what it is for a bolt action rifle.

THAT is why the body count would have been higher.

320px-Ruger-1022.jpg

If she had an AR-15 with 30 round clips, you can bet your ass the body count would have been MUCH higher.

You don't know much about guns if you are saying that. The reason the body count would be higher is because an AR carries more ammo, and is semi automatic in firing, which means the rate of fire for the AR-15 is going to be much higher than what it is for a bolt action rifle.

Hey dumbass, cruz used 10 rounds. Guess what the stock size magazine for that gun is?
Guess what the difference is between those guns? LOL

320px-Ruger-1022.jpg

I think that's an M1 Carbine and you're a dumbass.
Ruger 10/22
Yes he is

o
eh, My magazine has 18 rds. :eek:

My gun is more accurate than that, as well.

I know summin' I won't tell. :funnyface:

I've lived it.

320px-Ruger-1022.jpg

Hey dumbass, cruz used 10 rounds. Guess what the stock size magazine for that gun is?

Hey stupid, the greater the rate of fire, the more lethal the gun. On a bolt action rifle, you have to squeeze the trigger, then work the bolt to get another round in.

All you have to do with an AR 15 is to just squeeze the trigger.

320px-Ruger-1022.jpg

Hey stupid, the greater the rate of fire, the more lethal the gun. On a bolt action rifle, you have to squeeze the trigger, then work the bolt to get another round in.

All you have to do with an AR 15 is to just squeeze the trigger.
Its semi auto

Forum List

Back