Acting Like a Feminist Can Ruin Your Marriage

Spare_change

Gold Member
Jun 27, 2011
How Acting Like A Feminist Can Ruin Your Marriage

In the ongoing discussion about male and female relationships, several recent articles emphasize men’s failures for women’s discontent, such as “Childish Men are to Blame for Women Having Kids Late in Life.” Some articles pin the blame on behavior, while others look to economics, or education, such as this article in The Telegraph. It reports that, “A dearth of marriageable men has left an ‘oversupply’ of educated women taking desperate steps to preserve their fertility.” These “left-over women” are freezing their eggs for use later, should they finally meet someone suitable.

While it is tough to overlook real character flaws in men, a missing piece from these discussions is any consideration of the dramatic changes that have taken place in women over the last five decades. Perhaps females have become less marriageable? Women today are supposed to “be bold and assertive,” but could all this girl-power actually undermine our best efforts at finding marital bliss?

Feminism has ushered in a near-universal trend for women to “just one of the boys” or to be better than the boys. It is reflected in our sarcasm, sexual habits, attire, and goals. A recent study found that women are now dropping the f-bomb more than men.

“Fight like a girl,” “Strong is the new pretty,” and “Find your fierce” may sound nice, but we have to ask if they have led women to happiness or an endless fluctuation between ferocity and victimhood. For example, take Kathy Griffin presenting the faux head of Donald Trump on TV. She “resisted” but when public opinion (and a lot of money) turned away from her, she tried to spin it so she became the victim in the story.

While this example is extreme, women are daily encouraged to act boldly (and, of course, there are times when we must—I’m not suggesting becoming a door mat), but simultaneously to become the victim when things don’t go as planned. This may work in a media stunt, but it is toxic for real relationships when people are counting on wisdom, prudence, and loyalty.

What Men Find Attractive About Women
The bulk of advice women hear on happiness generally comes from other women—the new matriarchs of culture. But if we are talking about marriage, shouldn’t men’s opinions be considered? What they find attractive, compelling, endearing, and so on? You can learn a lot if you listen to men when they don’t know we are listening: poetry and music.

From the dawn of time, men croon about particular attributes especially found in women: loyalty, sweetness, a calming presence, kindness, thoughtfulness. Looking past lyrics dripping with lust, a pattern emerges. Dante, the Beatles, Elvis, James Taylor, Sting, The Grateful Dead, Tim McGraw, and on and on—all speak of loving a truthful, kind, loyal, soulful woman who brings them peace. There has been no love song dedicated to a nagging, angry, self-absorbed woman.

Even this poetic prose found on recently on Facebook by Aaron Ingram speaks to the constant desires of a man’s heart: “Can I just say that I got me a country girl, so honest, joyful and sweet. I got me an intelligent, sensitive, LOYAL queen who loves me for who I am. Makes me feel free and alive. I gots me a country girl. Thank you Maker. You are mysterious and, beautiful and faith worthy.” The message from men hasn’t changed.

Inflicting Pain Does Not Produce Gain
In the meantime, women who have found husbands aren’t finding it to be paradise either. Seventy percent of divorces are initiated by women. While yes, perhaps there is blame to attribute to husbands, again there is little discussion about what women might be contributing to the split.

In a shocking admonition, love expert Andrea Miller over at Your Tango, a site dedicated to love and relationships (that also has a section on zodiac signs and horoscopes), has suggested the radical idea that a wife’s job is, in fact, to make her husband happy. She explains:

Too often these women — even the strongest, smartest, most independent of them — weirdly believe that if they inflict enough pain back onto their partners or exact enough control of them, they’ll suddenly get with the program. Instead, the opposite usually happens. Their partners — not feeling loved enough and tired of feeling nagged, controlled, and criticized — do the opposite. They withdraw and tune out. And the cycle of drama and dysfunction only becomes more vicious and protracted.

Too often these women — even the strongest, smartest, most independent of them — weirdly believe that if they inflict enough pain back onto their partners or exact enough control of them, they’ll suddenly get with the program. Instead, the opposite usually happens. Their partners — not feeling loved enough and tired of feeling nagged, controlled, and criticized — do the opposite. They withdraw and tune out. And the cycle of drama and dysfunction only becomes more vicious and protracted.

Miller goes on to explain that after realizing that the pain she was inflicting upon her spouse wasn’t making either of them happy, she tried something else: tenderness, less judgment and punishment, and more affection. The results, she explains, were brilliant.

I started tuning much more actively into my husband — prioritizing him, touching him regularly (holding his hand, sitting very close to him, hugging him, rubbing his shoulders, etc), more actively praising and appreciating him, and — crucially — not letting my ego get the best of me and not letting my need to be right lead to Armageddon. As a result, I have managed to bring out the best in my husband.

While bringing out the best in her husband, Miller brought out the best of herself—kind, warm, thoughtful, compassionate. For decades, women have been told that somehow we can be happy without these things, but the real secret is as old as poetry and song.

------------------------------------

Carrie Gress, a homeschooling mother of four, has a doctorate in philosophy from the Catholic University of America and is a faculty member at Pontifex University. She is a regular blogger at The National Catholic Register and the author of several books, including "Ultimate Makeover: The Transforming Power of Motherhood" and "The Marian Option: God's Solution to a Civilization in Crisis."

Very interesting. Yes we guys love the types advocated in the OP. But we also love the types of girls who fight in the movie Battle of Los Angeles.

I think the biggest enemy of girls is chemicals that ruin the female shape, nationwide.

Women falsely believe that looking like a man can be compensated with all the good attributes that are advocated in the OP. It can't.

The basic paradox for women is, that none of them can accept, that men must work a game to get sex, women need to do nothing for getting sex.

This invalidates feminism.

And it is also true, that when it comes to love, women jump from hype to hype, they initiate divorce from their marriages every 3 years, as per national statistics. Why should a man marry, only to see his children once a week, and only to entitle his ex wife to all his earnings, at a phony excuse of child support? Or is it part of female sexual desire to invent children without fathers?

It seems to me that the biggest problem with feminists is that they don't love anybody. They just want more of whatever they think they deserve or figure they have been denied somehow. It is hardly surprizing that they fail in relationships. When you leave love out of a relationship, there isn't much reason to stay in it.

This is a great topic...

In the most basic and general sense:
Men want respect and sex.
Women want attention and love.

Sure, men like you to look good, but you can look great and it will get old if you are not sensual/sexual.....

I would be willing to bet that most men would take a very average women that is a sex machine over a hot woman that is not....

There are ALWAYS exceptions.....that being said.....

It seems to me that the biggest problem with feminists is that they don't love anybody. They just want more of whatever they think they deserve or figure they have been denied somehow. It is hardly surprizing that they fail in relationships. When you leave love out of a relationship, there isn't much reason to stay in it.
I think feminists are the type that run multiple boyfriends simultaneously, and they expect their boyfriends to run multiple girlfriends simultaneously in the same way.

This is a great topic...

Sure, men like you to look good, but you can look great and it will get old if you are not sensual/sexual.....

I would be willing to bet that most men would take a very average women that is a sex machine over a hot woman that is not....

Sex drive is a curse for men and evolution alike, because it gives advantage to a sick woman sex machine over a healthy woman.

This is a great topic...

Sex drive is a curse for men and evolution alike, because it gives advantage to a sick woman sex machine over a healthy woman.

An advantage to have a lot of sex... but not for mating.
Most men will not marry a sick woman sex machine. Men like their women to be faithful.

This is a great topic...

Most men will not marry a sick woman sex machine. Men like their women to be faithful.

I think I observe, that men like the shapes and looks of women as a separate and artistic entity, which is much higher than sex, although may include sex. I think I can prove this by the long scores of men, even old men, who marry artistic looking beautiful women, with not much expectation beyond some occasional sex with her.

I think feminists are the type that run multiple boyfriends simultaneously, and they expect their boyfriends to run multiple girlfriends simultaneously in the same way.
You're probably right. Sex without love leaves no reason for marriage. What a hollow way to live.

This is a great topic...

I think I observe, that men like the shapes and looks of women as a separate and artistic entity, which is much higher than sex, although may include sex. I think I can prove this by the long scores of men, even old men, who marry artistic looking beautiful women, with not much expectation beyond some occasional sex with her.

that's an image thing. They want to appear powerful and worthy, what better way than having a "trophy wife" on your arm. If on an island, just 2 people, a man would prefer a sexual average woman.

Dr Laura addresses exactly this in her "Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands" book. Feminism is destroying marriages. However, there is also a lack of manhood as well among men who are perfectly happy to live like teenage boys and have mama take care of them. Where are the real men nowadays? There are some but much more rare now. Where are the men who take pride in providing for their families and being men?

You're probably right. Sex without love leaves no reason for marriage. What a hollow way to live.
Feminism eliminated family income and replaced it with individual income. So if the woman's job takes her elsewhere and the man's job takes him elsewhere, love is finished. They don't even need to be sold separately as two slaves to two plantations. Hehe.

This is a great topic...

that's an image thing. They want to appear powerful and worthy, what better way than having a "trophy wife" on your arm. If on an island, just 2 people, a man would prefer a sexual average woman.

It is not an image thing, because men don't usually look at their wives as dehumanized trophies of achievement. Men look at their wives as the balance in life. The shapes and beauty of women is about balance. But feminist would lie about this, because feminists hate balance.

Dr Laura addresses exactly this in her "Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands" book. Feminism is destroying marriages. However, there is also a lack of manhood as well among men who are perfectly happy to live like teenage boys and have mama take care of them. Where are the real men nowadays? There are some but much more rare now. Where are the men who take pride in providing for their families and being men?
Manhood? I thought it was called child support. Men always take pride in paying for things that they can rarely see and talk to.

****Edited by Foxfyre for brevity -
refer to OP for full quote****

Carrie Gress, a homeschooling mother of four, has a doctorate in philosophy from the Catholic University of America and is a faculty member at Pontifex University. She is a regular blogger at The National Catholic Register and the author of several books, including "Ultimate Makeover: The Transforming Power of Motherhood" and "The Marian Option: God's Solution to a Civilization in Crisis."

I am a 100% full blown, outspoken feminist who has been married for a very long time to great guy who is all guy and who is not expected to demonstrate his 'feminine' side. :)

I have spent most of my adult life in occupations most usually held by men and I have earned just as much and usually out performed most. I admire the female American Ninja Warriors and, while appreciating their amazing physical abilities, often surpassing that of some of the men, I note that almost all are absolutely knock down drop dead gorgeous and quite feminine.

I don't want any roadblocks that prevent anybody being the best that they can be doing anything. If the woman is as reliable and productive and flexible as the guys, she deserves the same pay and opportunities they get. But if she isn't, she has no moral authority to whine about less opportunity, fewer promotions, lower pay.

But other than practical accommodations related to gender--I like separate restrooms for the girls for instance when it is practical to provide one--I don't want any standards lowered anywhere so that women can qualify for jobs. If she can do what the guys are expected to do then she qualifies. If not, she doesn't just like any guys who can't meet the qualifications don't qualify.

And I love being a girl. Being a wife. Being a mother. I don't dress like a guy, enjoy making myself pretty and smelling good, and I enjoy having a gentleman help me out of the car, adjust my chair when being seated at the restaurant, and other little social pleasantries.

Conclusion: it is not feminism that is the problem. It is man hating/emasculation and/or sense of entitlement that is the problem and, in my opinion, that is the driving force within much of the so-called militant feminism and why so many such feminists cannot sustain a heterosexual relationship.

This is a great topic...

It is not an image thing, because men don't usually look at their wives as dehumanized trophies of achievement. Men look at their wives as the balance in life. The shapes and beauty of women is about balance. But feminist would lie about this, because feminists hate balance.

I'd like to hear the opinions of other men on this. So, you are saying men like to have a woman of their equal in all respects, or just physical beauty?

Men and women are different, and in that regard, I don't believe that they should necessarily have the same opportunities.

That being said, I can safely rule myself out as a feminist.

Any woman that thinks she is the same as a man (or vice versa) is not being honest with themselves...

I'd like to hear the opinions of other men on this. So, you are saying men like to have a woman of their equal in all respects, or just physical beauty?

No, balance doesn't mean equality. Men and women can never be equal, for many reasons, including the one I mentioned earlier in this thread, which was that man must run a game to get sex, but women need do nothing for it.

****Edited by Foxfyre for brevity -
refer to OP for full quote****

I am a 100% full blown, outspoken feminist who has been married for a very long time to great guy who is all guy and who is not expected to demonstrate his 'feminine' side. :)

I have spent most of my adult life in occupations most usually held by men and I have earned just as much and usually out performed most. I admire the female American Ninja Warriors and, while appreciating their amazing physical abilities, often surpassing that of some of the men, I note that almost all are absolutely knock down drop dead gorgeous and quite feminine.

I don't want any roadblocks that prevent anybody being the best that they can be doing anything. If the woman is as reliable and productive and flexible as the guys, she deserves the same pay and opportunities they get. But if she isn't, she has no moral authority to whine about less opportunity, fewer promotions, lower pay.

But other than practical accommodations related to gender--I like separate restrooms for the girls for instance when it is practical to provide one--I don't want any standards lowered anywhere so that women can qualify for jobs. If she can do what the guys are expected to do then she qualifies. If not, she doesn't just like any guys who can't meet the qualifications don't qualify.

And I love being a girl. Being a wife. Being a mother. I don't dress like a guy, enjoy making myself pretty and smelling good, and I enjoy having a gentleman help me out of the car, adjust my chair when being seated at the restaurant, and other little social pleasantries.

Conclusion: it is not feminism that is the problem. It is man hating/emasculation and/or sense of entitlement that is the problem and, in my opinion, that is the driving force within much of the so-called militant feminism and why so many such feminists cannot sustain a heterosexual relationship.

It is common sense that feminism is a part of the LGBT movement. But why do feminists deny this?

I think you are off base and WAY overthinking this. But, in the end, it is what it is.

For the record, I think feminists have hurt women in the long run

Forum List

Back