Ack! Colonoscopy next tuesday for me.

Wow. That wasn't very nice.

It's not very nice that I was told I would be OUT and not feel a thing. Which means they said the same thing to everyone else. I learned the painful way. I wanted those two to be prepared that it isn't going to be a picnic. I didn't say it to be mean. I said it in sympathy for what they were fixing to experience.

What they meant was they wouldn't feel a thing.:cool:

Exactly. All of us were on this firemans bucket brigade. Wait in waiting room with stickers on our wrists. Then called in the back room where rows of beds with attached IV's...as one is rolled out, another rolled in, new body placed in it. Steady stream of people being wheeled in the back room where the procedure is being done. All of us thinking we would be ASLEEP.

431455_376017599138047_717720863_n.jpg

Ok and alrighty then!!!! Children, BEHAVE.

I am home. I am gassy but otherwise...just fine. Was I asleep? HAYELL NO. They just gave me a bit of demerol. Did it hurt? You but your ass (well, MY ass) it hurt. I was in a semi la la land but it was a concsious one. The rail on the bed is bent now because that is what I was holding on to for dear life. It felt like childbirth, but in my butt area. Cramps you wouldn't believe....then 3 pairs of hands pushing my guts this way and that and more drilling and air pumped and I am ARRRRRGGGGing like crazy and they are all saying "almost done! Hang in there! Almost done!".
The guard rail is now bent towards the center of the table because the demerol made my wrist joints stop hurting enough to bend the fuck out of it as they tortured my colon.
I remember most of it but not all. The cramping is what probably zapped me out of my supposed dream state. It was not fun. I also remember between the "get ready, hon, almost done but have a short way to go yet" that I began to chant Ohm Mah Knee Pawd May Hum over and over and one of the nurses bending over me was whispering to the others "omg. She is speaking in tongues". I still had enough brain cells firing to briefly think about sitting up and pointing at all of them with the Hex Evil Eye sign while chanting, just to see what would happen but I didn't because the doc is from India and he knew what I was saying..and why. I heard him snort in my right ear after the nurse said that.
Next thing I knew...I was told I was all done and hubby was waiting for me. And farting a lot. And leaking a bit.

Never was told what was found, if anything. Nobody said if any polyps were located or removed. Nothing. So..I guess I have to call him in a day or so to ask him what he saw while in there.

Will I ever do this again? NO. Was the prep worse than the procedure....actually, yes.

I'm sorry it was like that, Gracie. As I said before, I did wake up during my procedure due to some pretty serious cramping, but when I yelled "Ouch!! Ouch!!" they said "hang on" and they must have upped the sedative because I went back to sleep.

Wow. Well, I'm sure there will be few people who read this and procrastinate about getting this test done now.

I guess the doctor and his assistants can make quite the difference. And the facility. Mine was done at a hospital. The doctor was highly recommended.

I guess I won't say anything more, the "recovery" will probably be a big deal, too, so I certainly don't want to downplay it. Although I was totally back to normal the very next day. I hope that happens for you, too.

I don't like the idea.

I have serious issues with finger-waves as well.

Both a digital exam, and a colonoscopy can be life saving, Muddy...

I had it done every 6 months if I needed it or not by my proctologist......

Don't like em. :cool:

Every 6 months the same for me...but I was dying from it at diagnoses...my prognosis was poor. I was given a 15 month window of survival. I almost literally have no guts left. Even 10% of my stomach had to be removed, as well as an ovary, my spleen...I was only 26. Because of the mindset that i was too young, and the fact that it does not run on either side of my family, almost killed me, Muddy. No matter your age, if you have a history that requires a colonoscopy every six months, please...don't pass it off just because you don't like it. I'd like to see ya stick around...as I am sure your friends and family feel the same.

Both a digital exam, and a colonoscopy can be life saving, Muddy...

I had it done every 6 months if I needed it or not by my proctologist......

Don't like em. :cool:

Every 6 months the same for me...but I was dying from it at diagnoses...my prognosis was poor. I was given a 15 month window of survival. I almost literally have no guts left. Even 10% of my stomach had to be removed, as well as an ovary, my spleen...I was only 26. Because of the mindset that i was too young, and the fact that it does not run on either side of my family, almost killed me, Muddy. No matter your age, if you have a history that requires a colonoscopy every six months, please...don't pass it off just because you don't like it. I'd like to see ya stick around...as I am sure your friends and family feel the same.

I don't have a history, family or otherwise. I was getting my prostrate checked because my Dad died from prostrate cancer. (I think it's because he lost his driver's license and couldn't get to his GF anymore)

Last year they told me I might have an obstruction in my arteries. $12,000 later they found nothing. It was because of an irregular heart beat, which my mom later told me was a family trait.

I've had myself checked out and the only thing I have is a penchant for spicy food which gives me stomach problems periodically. For the most part my cholesterol is great, my blood-pressure is normal, and I'm healthy as a horse. I eat right and I exercise regularly. The best thing you can do to prevent colon cancer is eat lots of veggies. I'm always regular.....if you know what I mean.

Last edited:
One of the major causes of colon cancer is the overuse of antibiotics.

It kills the bacteria in the colon which leads to yeast infection.

So you're saying that if I eat a lot of rancid meat and not treat the results I should be ok! Where is the NIH on this?

Koosh, I will never have it done again UNLESS it is in a hospital and not on some kind of colonoscopy conveyer belt system. This is a good thread for one reason. Those who have NOT had it done, see all sides of possibilities.

My recovery is smooth as my boob. Ate when I got home, am drinking hot green tea and some cool ranch chips, feel just fine so far. Tonight, I am having a chocolate milkshake!
So your words of advice were much appreciated..and so was everyone else's. The prep part sucks big hairy ones. The procedure is not fun either but a helluvalot easy to deal with than the damn prep.

One of the major causes of colon cancer is the overuse of antibiotics.

It kills the bacteria in the colon which leads to yeast infection.

So you're saying that if I eat a lot of rancid meat and not treat the results I should be ok! Where is the NIH on this?

If it pumps your nads.....go for it.

I'll pass on the rancid meat.

All this stressed out poop talk reminds me of the accident my friend had during a 3 car accident she was in. She was sitting at a traffic light when she saw a big pick-up truck coming up from behind at too fast a speed to stop. She tensed up & shit herself when the truck hit slamming her car into the one in front. 5 police cars & 4 witness surround her as her dignity slids down her leg dignity & permeates the air as information is exchanged between 10 people surrounding her.

All this stressed out poop talk reminds me of the accident my friend had during a 3 car accident she was in. She was sitting at a traffic light when she saw a big pick-up truck coming up from behind at too fast a speed to stop. She tensed up & shit herself when the truck hit slamming her car into the one in front. 5 police cars & 4 witness surround her as her dignity slids down her leg dignity & permeates the air as information is exchanged between 10 people surrounding her.

Oh, my God! What a nightmare. I suppose when 10 years or so has passed, that will be a funny story for her to tell. Well, 20 years. No, make that 30 years.

Frankly, this entire "colonoscopy discussion" is reminding me of one of my favorite sayings:

"Cowards die a thousand deaths, but brave men only once."

Ok and alrighty then!!!! Children, BEHAVE.

I am home. I am gassy but otherwise...just fine. Was I asleep? HAYELL NO. They just gave me a bit of demerol. Did it hurt? You but your ass (well, MY ass) it hurt. I was in a semi la la land but it was a concsious one. The rail on the bed is bent now because that is what I was holding on to for dear life. It felt like childbirth, but in my butt area. Cramps you wouldn't believe....then 3 pairs of hands pushing my guts this way and that and more drilling and air pumped and I am ARRRRRGGGGing like crazy and they are all saying "almost done! Hang in there! Almost done!".
The guard rail is now bent towards the center of the table because the demerol made my wrist joints stop hurting enough to bend the fuck out of it as they tortured my colon.
I remember most of it but not all. The cramping is what probably zapped me out of my supposed dream state. It was not fun. I also remember between the "get ready, hon, almost done but have a short way to go yet" that I began to chant Ohm Mah Knee Pawd May Hum over and over and one of the nurses bending over me was whispering to the others "omg. She is speaking in tongues". I still had enough brain cells firing to briefly think about sitting up and pointing at all of them with the Hex Evil Eye sign while chanting, just to see what would happen but I didn't because the doc is from India and he knew what I was saying..and why. I heard him snort in my right ear after the nurse said that.
Next thing I knew...I was told I was all done and hubby was waiting for me. And farting a lot. And leaking a bit.

Never was told what was found, if anything. Nobody said if any polyps were located or removed. Nothing. So..I guess I have to call him in a day or so to ask him what he saw while in there.

Will I ever do this again? NO. Was the prep worse than the procedure....actually, yes.

You should have been sedated. No way should they have kept you awake like that. Is that standard for that hospital?

Forum List

Back