Abusive Parenting

Dhara

Gold Member
Jan 1, 2015
There seems to be some confusion over what is and isn't "abusive" parenting.

Let's discuss.

If you have an LGBT child and you accept that child for who he or she is, is that ABUSE? Some say it is,

idk check out the thread you just made on the same subject 10 minutes ago.

There is physical abuse which is easier to spot and there is mental abuse which is harder to define.

As an example I think abuse is indoctrinating kids into hating others. Hypothetically if you were a full blown nazi and teaching your kids that blacks and muslims should be exterminated and that Jews belonged in the ovens. That gays were degenerate perverts and so on.

I would worry about how that kid would turn out and be able to cope in our more enlightened times.

There are other kinds of abuse. Letting your kids play with guns is another one.

When parents beat the crap out of their kids for being LGBT, disown them, force them to be homeless on the streets, that's parental abuse.

When parents beat the crap out of their kids for being LGBT, disown them, force them to be homeless on the streets, that's parental abuse.
so is shoving hormone therapy pills down a body that is still developing

No, it's not. Beating a child, conversion therapy, killing a child over being trans, THAT's abuse.

I don't think I'd start my transgender child on hormone therapy until they are at least 18, and can make the decision for themselves, as an adult.

But, that doesn't mean I'd expect them to conform with gender norms or be unsupportive of their feelings. I just think that teenage bodies are going through a lot of disruption in those years, and I don't think I'd want to add to that.

But, I'm also not in those shoes, so who knows what I'd actually do if faced with this scenario. It's easy to speculate from the audience.

I think kids are just that, kids. Adults make important decisions for them until they are adults. We send them to school, that doesn't mean they learn or select the path we want. Doesn't mean they are happy with us sending them either. Not sure who the dimwits are who decided for everyone that you have to let kids get brainwashed or made happy continuously or not have to face obstacles. Sexualizing kids...kids I said, let that sink in, is not in society's best interests. Confused kids are not a ticket to turn them into deviants.

I don't think I'd start my transgender child on hormone therapy until they are at least 18, and can make the decision for themselves, as an adult.

But, that doesn't mean I'd expect them to conform with gender norms or be unsupportive of their feelings. I just think that teenage bodies are going through a lot of disruption in those years, and I don't think I'd want to add to that.

But, I'm also not in those shoes, so who knows what I'd actually do if faced with this scenario. It's easy to speculate from the audience.
Yes. They need to be loved. They need to listened to. But they also need the truth.
My opinion on this doesn't come from emotion or politics. It comes from a lot of research. When my cousin had surgery I tried my best to understand what he(now) was doing. And why.
My great aunt and uncle are lunatics. Seriously.
I guess my biggest thing is special rights and for them to stop killing themselves. Society only seems to hurt them.

Sexualizing kids...kids I said, let that sink in, is not in society's best interests. Confused kids are not a ticket to turn them into deviants.
17 year olds are pretty sexual, by nature. They're at peak hormone production. In Dhara's defense, I think she is responding to something her child is and has been experiencing and expressing for quite some time. Nor do I think that transsexuals are deviants.

I think you have a pretty narrow view of sexuality.

But they also need the truth.

The truth in this case is subjective and experiential. There isn't one single truth that is universally applicable to all. You can't speak to someone else's inner truth and identity, dude.

Sexualizing kids...kids I said, let that sink in, is not in society's best interests. Confused kids are not a ticket to turn them into deviants.
17 year olds are pretty sexual, by nature. They're at peak hormone production. In Dhara's defense, I think she is responding to something her child is and has been experiencing and expressing for quite some time. Nor do I think that transsexuals are deviants.

I did not define the word deviant. It was applied properly as defined. We have 56 years to be an adult on average. I see little reason to define yourself as an adult at 16-18.

I did not define the word deviant. It was applied properly as defined. We have 56 years to be an adult on average. I see little reason to define yourself as an adult at 16-18.

Deviant has negative connotations, and in reference to sexuality, is an attempt to make some sexual identities abnormal and incorrect. For people who are gay, lesbian, or transgendered, that gender identity is their normal and correct.

There seems to be some confusion over what is and isn't "abusive" parenting.

Let's discuss.

If you have an LGBT child and you accept that child for who he or she is, is that ABUSE? Some say it is,

I don't know why you are opening yourself up to what you know is going to happen as a result of this sharing. Who gives a fuck what people on this forum think about your parenting? Seriously, Dhara, please stop being vulnerable to assholes.

The truth in this case is subjective and experiential. There isn't one single truth that is universally applicable to all. You can't speak to someone else's inner truth and identity, dude.
Biology, pillars. If people don't know there is a problem, they wont seek solutions except at the end of a gun. Or throwing themselves out in front of moving semis.
I mean, do you WANT people to kill themselves at an ASTOUNDING rate? I don't.
Even after surgery and all that social bullshit about them being normal, they still have a high suicide rate. That's fuckin crazy. Its on the same level as schizos blowing their head off.
I have someone in my family that suffers from it. I would rather attack the problem instead of putting bandaids on it that don't even work.

Deviant has negative connotations, and in reference to sexuality, is an attempt to make some sexual identities abnormal and incorrect. For people who are gay, lesbian, or transgendered, that gender identity is their normal and correct.

Yes it does, and is defined by society as a whole, not a subgroup. Not to say that can't change over time.

Last edited:

Biology, pillars. If people don't know there is a problem, they wont seek solutions except at the end of a gun. Or throwing themselves out in front of moving semis.
I mean, do you WANT people to kill themselves at an ASTOUNDING rate? I don't.
Even after surgery and all that social bullshit about them being normal, they still have a high suicide rate. That's fuckin crazy. Its on the same level as schizos blowing their head off.
I have someone in my family that suffers from it. I would rather attack the problem instead of putting bandaids on it that don't even work.

Of course trans medical and psychological care is efficacious. A 2010 meta-analysis confirmed by studies thereafter show that medical gender confirming interventions reduces gender dysphoria....

The aim of trans medical interventions is to bring a trans person’s body more inline with their gender identity, resulting in the measurable diminishment of their gender dysphoria. However trans people as a group also experience significant social oppression in the form of bullying, abuse, rape and hate crimes. Medical transition alone won’t resolve the effects of crushing social oppression: social anxiety, depression and posttraumatic stress.

What we’ve found is that treatment models which ignore the effect of cultural oppression and outright hate aren’t enough. We need to understand that our treatment models must be responsive to not only gender dysphoria, but the effects of anti-trans hate as well. That’s what improved care means.
Fact check: study shows transition makes trans people suicidal | The TransAdvocate

Reassignment surgery isn't the end. It's just part of a full treatment plan. But, it is a legitimate piece of a treatment plan for gender dysphoria.

Forum List

Back