About That Alabama Imigration Law....

DaGoose

Gold Member
Nov 16, 2010
Illinois
Alabama Republicans who pushed through the nation's toughest law against illegal immigrants are having second thoughts amid a backlash from big business, fueled by the embarrassing traffic stops of two foreign employees tied to the state's prized Honda and Mercedes plants.

The Republican attorney general is calling for some of the strictest parts of it to be repealed.

Some Republican lawmakers say they now want to make changes in the law that was pushed quickly through the legislature.

"Suddenly the reality of what the state has done hit people in the face," said Richard Cohen, president of the Southern Poverty Law Center.

Other Republicans say the law is causing unnecessary problems for legal residents.

Ala. GOP leaders have 2nd thoughts on immigration - Yahoo! News

Alabama Republicans who pushed through the nation's toughest law against illegal immigrants are having second thoughts amid a backlash from big business, fueled by the embarrassing traffic stops of two foreign employees tied to the state's prized Honda and Mercedes plants.

The Republican attorney general is calling for some of the strictest parts of it to be repealed.

"Suddenly the reality of what the state has done hit people in the face," said Richard Cohen, president of the Southern Poverty Law Center.

Other Republicans say the law is causing unnecessary problems for legal residents.

Is there a point in our immediate future?

Many of the illegals left, a lot of legal green card holders left too. The chicken plants are crying the blues and I personally know of one peach crop that only got about 1/4 picked for lack of workers. To a state that counts on cheap migrant labor this was deliberate self sabotage.

Alabama........

"It seemed like a good idea at he time"

This is what happen when hate, ignorance, and blind adherence to rightist dogma guides the legislative process.

Many of the illegals left, a lot of legal green card holders left too. The chicken plants are crying the blues and I personally know of one peach crop that only got about 1/4 picked for lack of workers. To a state that counts on cheap migrant labor this was deliberate self sabotage.

But at least they made their Tea Baggers happy

They are just unhappy that they might have to hire actual Alabamans. If you hire illegals you are also a criminal that deserves no sympathy from anyone.

I too am having trouble working up sympathy for those who hire illegals when a state finally cracks down on the problem. I watched a Rock Center story on this and was shocked at how boldly people admitted that they broke the law and complained about not being allowed to anymore.

I hope Alabama can ride this out and build an economy based on lawful labor.

Last edited:

They are just unhappy that they might have to hire actual Alabamans. If you hire illegals you are also a criminal that deserves no sympathy from anyone.

I too am having trouble working up sympathy for those who hire illegals when a state finally cracks down on the problem. I watched a Rock Center story on this and was shocked at how boldly people admitted that they broke the law and complained about not being allowed to anymore.

Well, it seems that they already had an economy based on 'awful' labor:badgrin:

Let's see how well this law has worked out. Some cop stops and arrests some funny talking 'furriner' who doesn't have all his documents with him, and throws him in prison. Turns out to be the head of the local German car company that provides most of the good paying jobs in the area. Then another cop spots a 'gook' in another county, throws him in jail for not having all his papers with him. Same thing, high executive in a Japanese car manufacturing plant. The Histanics, legal and illegal, decide the additional harrassment, along with the normal bigotry of that area, is just too much, and leave for other pastures. And the farm crops don't get harvested. The minimum wage jobs don't get filled. What a real winner that law is.

However, not all is lost. Come on, Germans and Japanese, come to Oregon. We don't play those games, and we have a very well educated work force, something rather difficult to find in your present environs.

"The Histanics, legal and illegal, decide the additional harrassment, along with the normal bigotry of that area, is just too much, and leave for other pastures."

And I expect the vast majority of Alabamans will be tickled to death to see them go. And rightly so. Oregon is welcome to all the wetbacks the it can pack in there and all the crime, drain on social services, and increased unemployment that comes with them.

Well, it seems that they already had an economy based on 'awful' labor:badgrin:

Let's see how well this law has worked out. Some cop stops and arrests some funny talking 'furriner' who doesn't have all his documents with him, and throws him in prison. Turns out to be the head of the local German car company that provides most of the good paying jobs in the area. Then another cop spots a 'gook' in another county, throws him in jail for not having all his papers with him. Same thing, high executive in a Japanese car manufacturing plant. The Histanics, legal and illegal, decide the additional harrassment, along with the normal bigotry of that area, is just too much, and leave for other pastures. And the farm crops don't get harvested. The minimum wage jobs don't get filled. What a real winner that law is.

However, not all is lost. Come on, Germans and Japanese, come to Oregon. We don't play those games, and we have a very well educated work force, something rather difficult to find in your present environs.

Yep they thought they were getting a great deal. Now they understand the living with a bunch of uneducated rednecks might not be such a great idea...:cuckoo:

Yep they thought they were getting a great deal. Now they understand the living with a bunch of uneducated rednecks might not be such a great idea...

Right. I'm sure things are so much better where everything is controlled by unions and/or the Mob. Even uneducated Rednecks aren't that stupid. Besides we're mostly nicer folks.

Forum List

Back