About "Goodbye" Threads...

Should Goodbye Threads Result In An Instant Temporary Ban?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, heavens no!

Instead of banning them, their desperate cries for support should be enshrined permanently and they should be mocked and ridiculed relentlessly as they continue to post as they almost always do.

Oh, heavens no!

Instead of banning them, their desperate cries for support should be enshrined permanently and they should be mocked and ridiculed relentlessly as they continue to post as they almost always do.
Honestly... I challenge anybody to name one poster who has started one of these threads, who hasn't been back, inside a month.

Oh, heavens no!

Honestly... I challenge anybody to name one poster who has started one of these threads, who hasn't been back, inside a month.
Exactly.

That is why we need a hall of shame that highlights them.

Heck, why stop there? I would go for a mandatory link to the goodbye cruel world thread as their permanent signature.

Oh, heavens no!

Exactly.

That is why we need a hall of shame that highlights them.

Heck, why stop there? I would go for a mandatory link to the goodbye cruel world thread as their permanent signature.
That, I could get into.

Only snowflakes use the ignore feature...

Naaaaaaaah, the ignore feature is great. I remember when it came in, a couple decades ago, new forum software.

The attention seeking behavior is not the goodbye threads so much as the people who come here to call anyone they object to the foulest names they know the words for, with free use of asterisks for top ten selections the forum won't let them post. I would guess most of them are posting from prison. I don't need to waste my time reading that, and I don't.

I like goodbye threads. They often lead to some kind of board drama. And even at times lead to epic meltdowns

-Geaux

Why bother. You say good bye to those that might wonder why and where you went. no one here cares that much about anyone else.

Naaaaaaaah, the ignore feature is great. I remember when it came in, a couple decades ago, new forum software.

The attention seeking behavior is not the goodbye threads so much as the people who come here to call anyone they object to the foulest names they know the words for, with free use of asterisks for top ten selections the forum won't let them post. I would guess most of them are posting from prison. I don't need to waste my time reading that, and I don't.
I agree. The Ignore feature is a must have for a forum with a large membership.

Before joining USMB I lurked for a few months, and I already had a list of idiots to put on Ignore as soon as I joined. There are some people who make threats or try to ridicule people for using ignore, but they're probably the kinds of posters the Ignore feature is meant to get rid of. Why would any sane person put up with the lowlifes and argumentative fools who have nothing of value to offer. Time is limited, I want to deal with the best and most interesting members, not the worst and most boring members.

On some others forums I've participated in, in the past one site rule I found quite refreshing, was the prohibition of "goodbye threads". It worked like this...
The rule was laid out to all, that no "goodbye threads were permitted. And if someone so chose to post one anyway; the the moderation would ban that individual immediately for various amounts of time, depending on the particular site. Not only does this help such a poster avoid getting cold feet; this type of practice really helps a site stay focused on its intended topic, rather than getting cluttered up with post after post, and thread, after thread, of what amounts to nothing more than sad, attention seeking behavior.
What say y'all?

Experience has been that less of 1/2 of the "good-bye" threads actually lead to never seeing that poster again.:banana: Many are back as soon as they get a load of the "rules" elsewhere.

If they have gripes -- as long as they don't discuss SPECIFIC PEOPLE or SPECIFIC moderation -- I see no harm.

Now -- if you're gonna completely melt down and create a spectacle -- Please do that in the Flame Zone -- not Announcements. Because it's much more enjoyable to participate in actual meltdowns in one of the Taunting Forums. :badgrin: They CHERISH goodbye threads in there.

And many other forums don't have lightly moderated Taunting Areas like USMB does.

I agree. The Ignore feature is a must have for a forum with a large membership.

Before joining USMB I lurked for a few months, and I already had a list of idiots to put on Ignore as soon as I joined. There are some people who make threats or try to ridicule people for using ignore, but they're probably the kinds of posters the Ignore feature is meant to get rid of. Why would any sane person put up with the lowlifes and argumentative fools who have nothing of value to offer. Time is limited, I want to deal with the best and most interesting members, not the worst and most boring members.

You have very high standards I see

-Geaux

Let them do it. Not harming anyone.
Agree. I see them as a courtesy. Too often I have wondered if a poster whom I have seen often but no longer, is ill or has passed away. If said poster has posted a "goodbye" or "so long" post it saves me negative emotions by letting me know they are fine but through with a site. I think they are showing respect to leave with notice.

Let them do it. Not harming anyone.
Agree. I see them as a courtesy. Too often I have wondered if a poster whom I have seen often but no longer, is ill or has passed away. If said poster has posted a "goodbye" or "so long" post it saves me negative emotions by letting me know they are fine but through with a site. I think they are showing respect to leave with notice.

I agree it's nice to know, but I don't think goodbye threads are a courtesy notice: I think it's more like a suicide note. People who do goodbye threads are furious: they are leaving because they hate X, Y, and Z and for excellent reasons they proceed to detail. So I never have --- I just vanish, and often come back in a few years when I feel better able to deal with it all. Also, my experience is that a lot of upset carrying on about the forum tends to lead to me being banned.......

Many of the goodbye threads are attentions seekers. But they are also often long time members who have seen changes they do not like. We ignore this at our own peril. I have known a few sites that went downhill. There were goodbye threads that told them it was happening. Often nothing can be done. But sometimes it can.

Compared to some of the vitriolic, hate-filled posts I have seen here, a goodbye thread seems pretty minor.

On some others forums I've participated in, in the past one site rule I found quite refreshing, was the prohibition of "goodbye threads". It worked like this...
The rule was laid out to all, that no "goodbye threads were permitted. And if someone so chose to post one anyway; the the moderation would ban that individual immediately for various amounts of time, depending on the particular site. Not only does this help such a poster avoid getting cold feet; this type of practice really helps a site stay focused on its intended topic, rather than getting cluttered up with post after post, and thread, after thread, of what amounts to nothing more than sad, attention seeking behavior.
What say y'all?
If you are a fan of the Uroboros and search for the eternal life, then good bye threads, mostly made of hemp, are indeed not a good idea. A ban though, lacks of any sense...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back