Abcnews Holds Terror Warning Tape

Weren't most of the people posting above very critical of CBS in its lack of effort in authenticating important sources that it obtained, and "rushing" to get the story out? If that's the case, shouldn't we be extra-wary of inauthentic materials in the wake of events that could have and might seriously affect the election?

Good point, but the CBS hit peice is very much like a trial lawyer asking an objectionable question, it's over-ruled and stricken from the record, but the damage is done. CBS choose to air it for the shock value, if ABC were holding a tape damageing to GWB it would have aired it already and then they would have turned it over to the FBI.

nakedemperor said:
Weren't most of the people posting above very critical of CBS in its lack of effort in authenticating important sources that it obtained, and "rushing" to get the story out? If that's the case, shouldn't we be extra-wary of inauthentic materials in the wake of events that could have and might seriously affect the election? I know that "holding back" this tape is not in a conservative's best interests at this point, but isn't it in the interests of the American public not to be exposed to (potentially) false news? It just seems like a very partisan standpoint to slam CBS for irresonsibility and then slam ABC for being responsible.

More importantly, if they received this tape over the weekend, why did it take them so long to get it to the CIA? The reports I have read say the CIA just got the tapes for authentication.....seems as though it would be better for the intel world to make that determination, RATHER than a network, dontcha' think.

I think it is irresponsible of the network to hold the tape prior to releasing it to the CIA, presumably for a chance to be the first on the block with a tape of another American traitor!!!!

It infuriates me!

Zhukov said:
Instead of actually commiting a terrorist act during the election, they threaten us with a tape?

Sounds like we're winning.

So let us get into the feeble minds of those that go by the term terrorist, and wonder what the affect is they are looking for?

Zhukov said:
We all know what they want,

"Anybody but Bush"

That should give a lot of people in this country pause.

It should but that's not what I meant. Im just wondering if they really think a tape is going to make a difference, maybe their just desperate and are throwing anything out there to see if it sticks.............Much like Kerry

Zhukov said:
Instead of actually commiting a terrorist act during the election, they threaten us with a tape?

Sounds like we're winning.

This is obvisly some sort of tactic to try and scare the public into voting one way or another. I simply say why send us tapes I think we already got pleanty of those, still waiting on action. Now I'm not saying I hope anything to this degree happens. I seriously doubt the integrity of any of these tapes. To say it bluntly they talk alot of shit. So guess only time will tell but you know I don't see them scaring anyone.

Aside from from the issue of the tape itself....I think we should consider the message, armed with the knowledge of a breach in the fence a long the DMZ in Korea, I think there is a tremendous amount of anxiety to be shared by all Americans, especially those who live in the most populated cities in the US.

I shudder to think what a small nuclear device could do in Manhattan or any major metropolitan area, and we are arguing over points that will seem frivolous, should such an act take place.

Be vigilant! Report suspicious behavior...anything that just seems out of place.

For a certain North Korean, it sure would. He's in a corner and he knows it. And we'd know where the material came from.

He may talk tough, and he may continue with programs inside his own country, but he is not about to provoke us. He knows this President will turn his country to glass without flinching if he conspired to kill Americans with a nuclear weapon.

Besides it's far more likely that in the unlikely event the North Koreans were planning something along the lines you suggest that they would smuggle it into China or eastern Russia. The DMZ is a big risk. On the other hand, if the Chinese catch him, they'll probably just keep it, and remain publicly quiet.

nakedemperor said:
I didn't really say anything about the agency behind that particular scandal, outside of they rushed to report something that wasn't verified; in fact, the forger tried to fool them. If they'd waited long enough, they could have figured it out, but they were too eager to run with what they had.

No. going to air with a tape your own experts say is fake is not merely rushing, and I won't allow you to whitewash it as such. Taking testimony during your investigation and then leaving it out when it doesn't support your conclusion is an ourtright deception. The widow and son of the alleged creator both said it was fake, CBS knew their opinion and went with it anyway. They are partisan liars, they're not just "in a hurry" , that's a distortion.

Point taken, but it would be easiest to pass materials out of a free country like S Korea (have you ever flown out of Korea before?).

Path of least resistance is always easiest and Occam's Razor should almost always apply, in my opinion.

Occam's razor is fine.

How is passing something thru the most heavily defended border in the world easier than trying to smuggle them past Chinese officials amongst the tons of items moving back and forth over the Chinese/North Korean border?

Why send something to a country where, if found, it would expose you and your intentions to all the world, when you can send that same thing thru a country that would rather avoid the unpleasentness of an expanded America presence on the Korean peninsula if it could?

If the Chinese caught the North Koreans smuggling that sort of the thing thru their country do you think they would tell us and risk our response? They don't want us in North Korea anymore than the North Korean Communists do.

If the South Koreans caught them, what do you think they would do? Do you even think they could hide such a thing from us?

But who knows, I've never accused Kim of being a clever man.

Fmr jarhead said:
Point taken, but it would be easiest to pass materials out of a free country like S Korea (have you ever flown out of Korea before?).

Path of least resistance is always easiest and Occam's Razor should almost always apply, in my opinion.
hey there Devil Dog! :salute: - The NKs have subs too. That would be the absolute path of least resistance to smuggle out a small nuke in my opinion

Bonnie said:
It should but that's not what I meant. Im just wondering if they really think a tape is going to make a difference,

Do they think it will make a difference? They probably figure it's worth a shot; the race is close. How much trouble could it really be? I could sit here and make a tape about how I'm going to destroy America and mail it to Pakistan every single day. How hard is that?

Whether or not they think it will have any influence they are probably more interested in just keeping the constant threat in our minds. That's the nature of terrorism. They're afraid we'll forget all about them.

If they knew what was good for them they'd probably keep quiet.

Tape has been authenticated....now ABC wondering what political ramifications are of airing the tape (nevermind that the security of the nation is at risk...they just don't want there to be any advantage to a political party!)

Forum List

Back