AARP backs healthcare bill

Who gives a rat's ass?

National health insurance is in the best interest of all Americans, and the people that oppose it in Congress are only doing so because the healthcare lobbyists gave them $3.4 BILLION DOLLARS in the last decade.

Gee Chris, first AARP isn't a corporation and doesn't lobby. Now it doesn't matter? National health insurance is NOT in the BEST interest of ALL Americans. How many are still in Congress from ten years ago? How much of that money was given to those that support a public option now? Any of that money find its way to Obama? You made the assertion, prove it.

Every other industrialized country in the world has national health insurance, and they pay HALF per capita what we pay for healthcare.

The rest of the world gets it, why don't you?

I see you ignored my questions. Can't defend them huh? Let's take France, one of your favorites. France has a 40% tax rate. How much of that is necessary to pay for health care? Doctors get paid $55,000 a year. How many doctors do you think will practice at that pay rate? France pays for doctors to go to college. Is that figured into health care costs? It is cheaper. Is that why I should give up my insurance? You act as though peolpe without coverage don't get care. That is not the case. You just want to control me. I get it.

Gee Chris, first AARP isn't a corporation and doesn't lobby. Now it doesn't matter? National health insurance is NOT in the BEST interest of ALL Americans. How many are still in Congress from ten years ago? How much of that money was given to those that support a public option now? Any of that money find its way to Obama? You made the assertion, prove it.

Every other industrialized country in the world has national health insurance, and they pay HALF per capita what we pay for healthcare.

I see you ignored my questions. Can't defend them huh? Let's take France, one of your favorites. France has a 40% tax rate. How much of that is necessary to pay for health care? Doctors get paid $55,000 a year. How many doctors do you think will practice at that pay rate? France pays for doctors to go to college. Is that figured into health care costs? It is cheaper. Is that why I should give up my insurance? You act as though peolpe without coverage don't get care. That is not the case. You just want to control me. I get it.

No, you don't get it.

In France medical schools are cheap, therefore their are many more doctors per capita than we have here. More doctors, cheaper medical care. Pretty simple really.

And their tax rate has nothing to do with it. They still pay much less per capita for healthcare than we do. Nice try at lying about the cost of healthcare in France, but you can't fool me with bullshit.

Like AARP isn't a corporate lobbyist.

Stupid fuck.

Is that the AARP whose members are cancelling their memberships because they disapprove of the AARP's sucking up to the Obamanation?

Link please?

The AARP has 40 million members. If a few are actually canceling their memberships over the groups (tepid) support of some of Obama's programs, I haven't seen any news of this - and if true, it begs the question: how many have signed up as a result of supporting the President?

Right-wingers really don't get it, do they? You people are fighting the same fights as you were 20 years ago, while mainstream America is passing you by.

Membership in the NRA recently fell below 3 million, after decades at 4 million or higher. Meanwhile, liberal MoveOn.org has over 5 million members, and growing.

Obama's support during the election last year (both primary and the general election) came from actual, grass-roots activists who "self-organized" much of what later became his campaign organization. They weren't being told what and where to meet by Glen Beck or any left-wing equivalent. Fox News keeps a website telling potential "tea-baggers" where to go, what to say, what the talking points are. That's not, in my own opinion, a real grass-roots campaign. When Glen Beck organizes a protest on the mall in DC, then Fox News covers it as though it was some "spontaneous, grass-roots" thing, it's disingenuous.

When, eventually, there is a real grass-roots movement among conservatives, not being shepherded by Beck, or any other Fox News talking-head, but self-organizing, bottom-up activism, the conservatives may be able to change history. Until then - history will continue to pass them by.

Most AARP members are on Medicare ... they would support a government operated and funded medical insurance because they will likely get all the accounts in the US ... and their coverage sucks. How do I know? ;)

So of course they would support it, they stand to make a large fortune off this idea.

This is the reason I dropped my membership with the AARP. They support the Obama Health Care Reform crap along with the Public Option.

So as someone who is either on Medicare or about to be soon - your stance is that the public option should only be available to old people, like it is now - but that everyone should have to pay for it - like they do now.

Or will you be turning down Medicare coverage?

Stupid fuck.

Is that the AARP whose members are cancelling their memberships because they disapprove of the AARP's sucking up to the Obamanation?

Yup, one and the same. Same one my parents belonged to for years, and recently just canceled their memberships.

AARP is quickly becoming a pathetic, left wing, non issue. They won't have enough members left to influence a light switch.

Bad news for the corporate lobbyists and their lapdogs......

Washington (CNN) -- The AARP will endorse the House Democratic leadership's bill to overhaul health care, according to a Democratic source with direct knowledge of the plan.

The move comes as House Speaker Nancy Pelosi oversees final changes to the $1 trillion-plus health care bill, which is likely set to come to a final vote Saturday.

The AARP is a nonprofit, nonpartisan group that advocates for people 50 and older.

AARP to back House health care bill, source says - CNN.com
The AMA backs the plan too, according to the article. I saw Obama announce it Thursday.
Pelosi has the votes for Saturday.

Last edited:
This is the reason I dropped my membership with the AARP. They support the Obama Health Care Reform crap along with the Public Option.

So as someone who is either on Medicare or about to be soon - your stance is that the public option should only be available to old people, like it is now - but that everyone should have to pay for it - like they do now.

Or will you be turning down Medicare coverage?

"Old" people are not the only ones who are or can get Medicare or AARP. I'm only 34 and I have both.

AARP is quickly becoming a pathetic, left wing, non issue. They won't have enough members left to influence a light switch.

Yah, only 40 million members... :cuckoo:

(AARP has almost as many members as the entire Republican Party does - 40 million compared to ~50 million)

Who gives a rat's ass?

National health insurance is in the best interest of all Americans, and the people that oppose it in Congress are only doing so because the healthcare lobbyists gave them $3.4 BILLION DOLLARS in the last decade.

and chris tells this lie yet again

You can add the American Cancer Society to the groups that have endorsed the health-care reform bill that the House is about to approve over the weekend.

Of course, after that, it needs to be painfully reconciled with the Senate version, so I don't know what the final bill will look like when it gets to the President's desk, but the fact that some version of the Democratic health-care reform bill (which Obama ran on as a core campaign promise) is now nearly certain to pass, must be disheartening to the cadre of tea-baggers who spent the day protesting in DC.

Stupid fuck.

No, AARP isn't a corporate lobbyist.

AARP is a nonprofit.

Are you really this stupid?

A "non-profit"? :lol:

Yeah, right.

And I'm Mary Fucking Poppins. Doh!

The AARP can call themselves a "non-profit" if they want to, but that's just bullshit.

They've got the market cornered on everything related to Senior citizens (or the 50+ crowd, which I don't consider "senior" anymore, since I'm only 3 years away from being eligible).

They have health insurance plans, their own version of AAA, they have lobbyists in DC to nag and sway our politicians on various and sundry issues affecting those 50 and older--such as medicaid, death taxes, grandparent's rights, social security, yada yada yada.....

Yeah, non profit. Right. :rolleyes:

Yah, only 40 million members... :cuckoo:

(AARP has almost as many members as the entire Republican Party does - 40 million compared to ~50 million)

Yep....and as baby-boomers become senior citizens, the numbers are only going up.

I'm a tail-end boomer ('62). I'm just 3 years away from being eligible for AARP membership (and all those great discounts).

However, AARP won't see one thin dime of mine. Ever. Because of the position they took on grandparents rights--even going so far as filing an Amicus Brief in Troxel v. Granville before the USSC.

They believed (and continue to believe) grandparents should have the *same* rights to grandchildren as the child's parents--especially when one of the child's parents has passed away, but also even when the grandchild has two fit parents and they are united on decisions with regard to the care custody and control of the minor grandchild(ren).

Nope. Not gonna get my money at all, AARP---you blew it when I was in my 30's and a single mom raising twin preschoolers and threatened with lawsuit after lawsuit by an evil grandmother -- with AARP's encouragement....

Now my twins are teenagers, I'm almost a senior, the crazy woman stopped threatening me and you won't get my money. Nada.

It would seem the rocket scientists at AARP didn't consider that those parents they were encouraging their members to sue would one day hit 50 years old....and remember the hell they've been put through at the recommendation of AARP. Oh well. *shrug* :lol:

Last edited:
WASHINGTON, Nov 5 (Reuters) - The influential American Medical Association on Thursday said it supported passage of the Democratic-written healthcare legislation that the U.S. House of Representatives is expected to vote on this week.
Dr. J. James Rohack, president of the AMA, said the bill was not perfect but was consistent with the group's principles for healthcare reform in expanding medical coverage to the uninsured.

Doctors' group backs U.S. House healthcare bill | Reuters

Do the AARP rank and file members support Obamedicine or is it the "Leadership"

Forum List

Back