A world with no religion, how different woud the world be?

If religion came about later in our path toward civilization, it would be more scientific. That's is about the only difference. Religions are all about an afterlife. The fact they also have an origin story is not important. Believers want a place to goto that is better than this.

I disagree with this statement. Judaism, perhaps the first major religion, is based on the ideal way to live this life. Catholicism and Orthodox, a majority of Christian believers, teach that how we act in this life is what starts us on the way to eternal life. There are a few non-Catholic denominations that appear to focus only on the afterlife--a view many (including atheists) find troubling.

Most believers want to find the Way to have fulfillment in this life. Getting set on the right path in this life results in the next life taking care of itself. Non-Catholic Christians object to this way of looking at things because they think it results in people trying to "earn" their way into heaven. Far from it. That's like saying that people taking a well marked road into a city are trying to earn their way into that city.
The "good" way to live is all about getting to the afterlife. The religion sets the rules on how to get there.

It is always about the afterlife as first principle.

You don't need religion to have laws and morality

Nor do we need schools to become educated. However, most will agree, it sure makes it easier--and schools provide social benefits as well.
This is very true. We can get laws and morality and even education w/o religion.

Religion can even help there. When I was younger I claimed I would send my children to Christian Sunday School to help give them all of that. However, American Christians have changed, especially the churches.

I have said before, I did not leave Christianity, Christianity left me.

The "good" way to live is all about getting to the afterlife. The religion sets the rules on how to get there.

Actually, no. It's just as much--if not more--about having a good life in the here and now. Judaism is based on this principle, and early Christians followed it as well. It was the Reformation that made it about the next life--but the majority of Christians do not follow "Reformation" beliefs.

Jews in Jesus' time were divided about whether or not there even was an afterlife. Jesus settled this question for Christians. Even so, his teachings were about living a fulfilling life in the here and now.

Europeans probably wouldn't have survived the dark ages without the hope of a reward in heaven for living a virtuous life on earth.

This is very true. We can get laws and morality and even education w/o religion.

Religion can even help there. When I was younger I claimed I would send my children to Christian Sunday School to help give them all of that. However, American Christians have changed, especially the churches.

I have said before, I did not leave Christianity, Christianity left me.

I suppose this is one of the benefits of the Catholic and Orthodox Church. There are continuous complaints about the Church not keeping up with modern morality, but it can't be accused of leaving anyone. Where it is today is where it has been for centuries.

Say religion never came about, and there was no such thing of religion. How different would the world be as of today?
Every newly born person needs laws. Or else we will be screwing the members of our family giving birth to birth defected children. And having sex with all sort of animals, thinking that if it is a normal behavior. Without a savior, from keeping us from doing acts that leads to death that will destroy us all. We would of all perished from the surface of the earth years ago. We needed someone to teach us what foods to eat and teach us about bathing ourselves to prevent all sorts of skin infections. And so we needed rules to followed to prevented us from perishing from the surface of the earth.

Hebrews 6:1 Therefore let us move beyond the elementary teachings about Christ and be taken forward to maturity, not laying again the foundation of repentance from acts that lead to death, and of faith in God,
You don't need religion to have laws and morality

Romans 7:7 What shall we say, then? Is the law sinful? Certainly not! Nevertheless, I would not have known what sin was had it not been for the law. For I would not have known what coveting really was if the law had not said, “You shall not covet.”

It would mostly be like life under Islam, dominated by violent, murderous political cults not any different from paganism except for the rhetoric; slavery would still be the norm and science would be dead, no need for advancements when human life is dirt cheap and plentiful.
What the fuck are you talking about!!?? Islam and Paganism ARE RELIGIONS :asshole:

My guess would be a much more depressing place than it is now. Without religion you're left with this: you're born, you live, and then you die and then nothing. No afterlife, no karma, no spirituality. No hope either.
So why does the absence of religion preclude the possibility of an afterlife? I am an atheist yet I feel strongly - although I don't profess to know- that there is more to life that our physical existence and that some part of us lives on after death. A life force if you will that has nothing to do with (a belief in ) God

The difference between religious people and myself is that I am no so arrogant as to claim to know the unknowable.

Fortunately, the question is pointless. How else would ancient mankind have answered the questions that have been asked for so many milennia since we first walked the Earth. Why am I here, what's the meaning of life, why do bad things happen, etc. Having nothing else to turn to, they developed spirituality and religion. Which for most people then and now meant an afterlife that reunited us with our loved ones.
Oh, the questions of why am I here, what's the meaning of life, why do bad things happen, etc. have been answered by religion ? Please enlighten us. Philosophy yes. But religion??

Fortunately, the question is pointless. How else would ancient mankind have answered the questions that have been asked for so many milennia since we first walked the Earth. Why am I here, what's the meaning of life, why do bad things happen, etc. Having nothing else to turn to, they developed spirituality and religion. Which for most people then and now meant an afterlife that reunited us with our loved ones.
Oh, the questions of why am I here, what's the meaning of life, why do bad things happen, etc. have been answered by religion ? Please enlighten us. Philosophy yes. But religion??
Sure, even I as an atheist can help here

why am I here

To worship God

what's the meaning of life

To worship God

why do bad things happen

To worship God

Actually, no. It's just as much--if not more--about having a good life in the here and now. Judaism is based on this principle, and early Christians followed it as well. It was the Reformation that made it about the next life--but the majority of Christians do not follow "Reformation" beliefs.

Jews in Jesus' time were divided about whether or not there even was an afterlife. Jesus settled this question for Christians. Even so, his teachings were about living a fulfilling life in the here and now.
I'm glad you have no idea what you're talking about.
But I know that your intentions are well meant.

There's signs out there that shows that God exists. But we put it off as luck.

Matthew 8:27 The men were amazed and asked, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!”

I researched it after his post. He is correct except for the part where he argued with me. It appears the afterlife is something new in Jewish thought.

Matthew 8:27 The men were amazed and asked, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!”

An amazingly private revelation.

I researched it after his post. He is correct except for the part where he argued with me. It appears the afterlife is something new in Jewish thought.
Not at all. The afterlife is a perfect reflection of this life.
But you can't be busy obsessed living an existence you have to build yourself.

The purpose of religion is to divide.
Most wars have been fought for religion.
Most terrorists, foreign and domestic, are religious.
No religions, no idols to worship would mean individuals taking responsibility for their own words and actions because the believers would not be able to go get forgiven and then do it all over again.
The idea of eternal life after your die would be considered what it really is - idiotic, deluded, demented.

I can't think of a down side.

There would be about 1/20 of the population in the world. We caught a glimpse of it in the past century when all the 'humanists' killed roughly 110 million in power struggles.

The purpose of religion is to divide.
Most wars have been fought for religion.
Most terrorists, foreign and domestic, are religious.
No religions, no idols to worship would mean individuals taking responsibility for their own words and actions because the believers would not be able to go get forgiven and then do it all over again.
The idea of eternal life after your die would be considered what it really is - idiotic, deluded, demented.

I can't think of a down side.
I'm so happy that egocentric atheists have never murdered hundreds of millions of people.

That is neither luck nor divine intervention.

Humans never give animals credit for what they do. Remember the gorilla who saved the little boy, took him to the door so zoo keepers could take him out? People were actually surprised at that behavior - but not because its unusual for an animal to behave that way, but because humans usually don't.

Every time there's a video of people saving an animal, it gets passed around a million times and for the same reason.

If a baby gorilla were suddenly in your space, people would scream, run, kill or harm the baby. Because people view animals as something to be used as we wish and then thrown away.

Forum List

Back