A woman had unprotected sex in her car and caught an STD. Now her car insurance company has to pay her $5.2 million.

Drop Dead Fred

Platinum Member
Jun 6, 2020
This is one of the most irrational court awards that I've ever heard of. This woman chose to have unprotected sex. It's not her car insurance company's fault that she contracted an STD. This wasn't a car crash, or a car theft, or anything even remotely related to the car.

Jackson County woman says she caught STD in car. Auto insurance to pay out $5.2 million​

June 7, 2022

The Missouri Court of Appeals has affirmed that an insurance company must pay a $5.2 million settlement granted to a Jackson County woman who claimed she unwittingly caught a sexually transmitted disease from her former romantic partner in his car.

In an opinion issued Tuesday, a three-judge panel found that the judgment entered against GEICO General Insurance Company through earlier arbitration proceedings was valid. The insurance companies sought to undo the action, claiming errors were made in Jackson County Circuit Court and the settlement agreement was not done in line with Missouri law.

According to court papers, the woman, identified in court records only as M.O., notified GEICO in February 2021 of her intention to seek monetary damages, alleging she contracted HPV, the human papillomavirus, from an insured member in his automobile. She contended the man caused her to be infected with the STD despite being aware of his condition and the risks of unprotected sex.

The insurance company declined the settlement, sending the case to arbitration.

In May 2021, the arbitrator found that the man and woman had sex inside his vehicle that “directly caused, or directly contributed to cause” the HPV infection. The man was found liable for not disclosing his infection status and the woman was awarded $5.2 million for damages and injuries to be paid by GEICO.

Despite the attention grabbing spin, the real issue before the court appears to be the validity of an arbitration finding. An agreement to deal with the matter in arbitration was made, the insurance company then attempted to reverse the arbitration finding, and the court is finding here that they bound by the agreement for the matter to be settled in arbitration. The court does not seem to be addressing the merits of the original claim.

This is one of the most irrational court awards that I've ever heard of. This woman chose to have unprotected sex. It's not her car insurance company's fault that she contracted an STD. This wasn't a car crash, or a car theft, or anything even remotely related to the car.

Jackson County woman says she caught STD in car. Auto insurance to pay out $5.2 million​

June 7, 2022

The Missouri Court of Appeals has affirmed that an insurance company must pay a $5.2 million settlement granted to a Jackson County woman who claimed she unwittingly caught a sexually transmitted disease from her former romantic partner in his car.

In an opinion issued Tuesday, a three-judge panel found that the judgment entered against GEICO General Insurance Company through earlier arbitration proceedings was valid. The insurance companies sought to undo the action, claiming errors were made in Jackson County Circuit Court and the settlement agreement was not done in line with Missouri law.

According to court papers, the woman, identified in court records only as M.O., notified GEICO in February 2021 of her intention to seek monetary damages, alleging she contracted HPV, the human papillomavirus, from an insured member in his automobile. She contended the man caused her to be infected with the STD despite being aware of his condition and the risks of unprotected sex.

In May 2021, the arbitrator found that the man and woman had sex inside his vehicle that “directly caused, or directly contributed to cause” the HPV infection. The man was found liable for not disclosing his infection status and the woman was awarded $5.2 million for damages and injuries to be paid by GEICO.
Something is wrong here. Half the population has been HPV infected.

June 7, 2022

Too bad it wasn't a lethal STD.

I bet GIECO will never sell another policy in Jackson County again....That's how they "punish" such communities.

I remember that in Harlan County, KY the only people that could get anything but liability car insurance were cops and officers of the court due to the amount of fraud.

There were hundreds of new vehicles just pushed off the side of a ridge into a fork of the Cumberland river when the payment came due and then reported as stolen. By the time they ended-up in/near the river they were a total loss.

That's too insane to be real. I'm having a real tough time believing it's real.

By that logic if I get an std banging some chick at my house my home owners insurance would have to pay. But they won't pay if I decide to start a campfire in my living room and the place burns down.

June 7, 2022

Every now and then you need a story like this so you can shake your head in disbelief.

Forum List

Back