CDZ A Week of Gun Violence Does Nothing to Change the N.R.A.’s Message

In the language of today’s National Rifle Association, “an armed society is a polite society.” The aphorism, borrowed from the science-fiction author Robert Heinlein, is the inspiration for one of the N.R.A.’s most popular T-shirts, which bears the word “coexist,” spelled out in brightly colored ammo cartridges and guns. To promote the shirt ($17.99), the N.R.A. store says that Heinlein’s quote “emphasizes the independent, tolerant nature of gun owners in a fun and thought-provoking way.”

A Week of Gun Violence Does Nothing to Change the N.R.A.’s Message - The New Yorker

And it is for the most part. The fact that third world imports are committing the majority of these horrible crimes seems to escape you. 80% of all violent crime is committed by illegal gangs. Gangs that are well known to police. Why do the powers that be allow them to run rampant?

Riddle us that batman...

The murders committed constantly in Chicago alone?

Well, just what do you propose we do to stop the gun violence in Chicago?

There are 150,000 KNOWN gangbangers in Chicago alone. How about we start by rounding up those who have committed violent crimes. Find out which new crimes they have committed, prosecute them, lock them up, and throw away the key.

Not one gun law proposed would actually target criminals. Name one gun law that doesn't effect normal gun owners while doing nothing to stop mass shooters and criminals.

The point you make has in it the implicit assumption that every would be criminal who wants to use a gun in carrying out their nefarious act(s) will get one/some. The more realistic assumption is that some of them will indeed get hold of a gun somehow and that others of them will not. To the extent that those who wanted a gun to aid in their criminal act do not in fact obtain one, a gun access limiting measure will have worked insofar as it will have prevented that would be illegal gun user from committing an act of gun violence.

There are 150,000 KNOWN gangbangers in Chicago alone. How about we start by rounding up those who have committed violent crimes. Find out which new crimes they have committed, prosecute them, lock them up, and throw away the key.

I don't have a problem with arresting and incarcerating proven or admitted criminals.

But if we did that in Dallas too, it would not have caught the guy who killed those five cops. To use the gun rights lobby's line of argument, why round up those people? Doing so would not have stopped the "Dallas shooter?"

I can see just how silly is the principle that underlies that line of argument, yet that's exactly the principle that some gun rights advocates toss out there in refutation of proposals to help curb gun violence.

I don't have a problem with arresting and incarcerating proven or admitted criminals.

But if we did that in Dallas too, it would not have caught the guy who killed those five cops. To use the gun rights lobby's line of argument, why round up those people? Doing so would not have stopped the "Dallas shooter?"

I can see just how silly is the principle that underlies that line of argument, yet that's exactly the principle that some gun rights advocates toss out there in refutation of proposals to help curb gun violence.

That's true but the guy in Dallas already had a record that was not shared out till after he was dead. He was a known bad actor to a part of the government. Why weren't his actions known to all? And, yet again, France and Norway already have the laws you want. They didn't do them the slightest bit of good. The only thing that gun bans do is raise the price of the gun. It's exactly the same as drugs. And guess what, bad people can get all the drugs they want just as easily as they can get all the guns they want. Gun bans ONLY affect the law abiding.

There are 8,000,000 rifles with detachable magazines in this Country....so far this year they have been responsible for 54 deaths.

Wait a minute...I thought a cornerstone of the gun rights position is that guns aren't responsible for anything. Per you, 54 guns are responsible for killing people.

As for gun control efforts, I personally don't support limiting access to rifles. I am, however, of the mind that however many folks are involuntarily killed or injured by gun users/abusers are "however many" folks too many.

How many folks were injured by rifles in 2016? How many by handguns?

the true cause of the deaths is the law anti gun activists created to stop mass shootings.....Gun Free zones......that law is responsible for the number of deaths that we have when these shooters, who can pass all the other gun control background checks and laws, decide to murder people......

I cannot find anything from gun control advocates stating that stopping mass shootings is the goal of Gun Free Zone laws. Can you?

What I can find is this from the National Crime Prevention Council:
Strategy
Establishing policies prohibiting the possession of guns in schools and within a set distance of school buildings helps to secure schools from gun-related violence and crime.

Crime Problem Addressed
The strategy recognizes the inherent danger of concealed firearms in the possession of gang members, drug traffickers, and fearful students. A survey by the National Centers for Disease Control and Prevention indicates that about 135,000 guns are brought into schools every day. According to the Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention, nearly 20 percent of all offenders arrested in 1991 while carrying guns were juveniles.
Even after reading a legal analysis that doesn't take kindly to the revised Gun Free Zones act, I see nothing intimating that curtailing mass shootings be the aim of that statute.

the gun free zone had 49 deaths. The Dallas shooting, where armed men were already on the scene....5 deaths.....

Red:
Presumably you are referring to the "Pulse" event? If so, are you really intimating that folks who are drinking alcohol to also should have their guns with them while doing so in a bar or other public facility? That's what it sounds like you are implying....

Blue:
And where was one of those gun carrying Texan civilians when the "Dallas shooter" started firing? I haven't seen any reports that one or some of them did anything to stop him. Clearly the man knew that Texans carry guns while going about their business on Texas' streets, but that didn't seem to deter, much less stop, him from firing away.

prosecutors and judges across the country do not take gun crimes seriously....I have posted links to this in other threads...they do not prosecute straw buyers....because it is a lot of work, and little reward for the prosecutors since many juries will not sentence a gang member baby momma or mother to years in prison when it is likely they faced physical violence if they didn't purchase the weapon...

Fine. Prosecute "straw" buyers. I don't see a problem with doing so. Are you saying that there's an active movement to absolve "straw" buyers from prosecution?

Do you think that a person under pain of harm/death for not aiding a would be criminal should be held criminally culpable for abetting said would be criminal? Would you care to be held criminally blameworthy were you, under involuntary duress, to perform a criminal deed?

In Japan, if you are arrested you face a 99% conviction rate...if you get arrested, you will go to jail. That fact was coupled with the new sentence they created for criminals caught with guns.....30 years in prison.....that sentence stopped the Yakuza from gunning up for the next war...since Japanese police can search anyone they want, at any time, for any reason....and if they found a gun on a gangster, they would be convicted and would spend 30 years in jail....

Are you suggesting that we adopt the Japanese model of jurisprudence so that our judicial and law enforcement personnel can act as do those in Japan? If you aren't, I don't see how the Japanese example is relevant.

Furthermore, how do the Japanese people's individual-level values toward killing others differ from those of Americans? Might those differences play a key role in the national attitudes towards gun violence and involuntary gun deaths/injuries?

How many people in Japan actually own guns? The answer is that comparatively speaking, "nobody."
Almost no one in Japan owns a gun. Most kinds are illegal, with onerous restrictions on buying and maintaining the few that are allowed. Even the country's infamous, mafia-like Yakuza tend to forgo guns; the few exceptions tend to become big national news stories.

Japanese tourists who fire off a few rounds at the Royal Hawaiian Shooting Club would be breaking three separate laws back in Japan—one for holding a handgun, one for possessing unlicensed bullets, and another violation for firing them -- the first of which alone is punishable by one to ten years in jail. Handguns are forbidden absolutely. Small-caliber rifles have been illegal to buy, sell, or transfer since 1971. Anyone who owned a rifle before then is allowed to keep it, but their heirs are required to turn it over to the police once the owner dies.

The only guns that Japanese citizens can legally buy and use are shotguns and air rifles, and it’s not easy to do. The process is detailed in David Kopel’s landmark study on Japanese gun control, published in the 1993 Asia Pacific Law Review, still cited as current. (Kopel, no left-wing loony, is a member of the National Rifle Association and once wrote in National Review that looser gun control laws could have stopped Adolf Hitler.)

To get a gun in Japan, first, you have to attend an all-day class and pass a written test, which are held only once per month. You also must take and pass a shooting range class. Then, head over to a hospital for a mental test and drug test (Japan is unusual in that potential gun owners must affirmatively prove their mental fitness), which you’ll file with the police. Finally, pass a rigorous background check for any criminal record or association with criminal or extremist groups, and you will be the proud new owner of your shotgun or air rifle. Just don’t forget to provide police with documentation on the specific location of the gun in your home, as well as the ammo, both of which must be locked and stored separately. And remember to have the police inspect the gun once per year and to re-take the class and exam every three years.

Even the most basic framework of Japan’s approach to gun ownership is almost the polar opposite of America’s. U.S. gun law begins with the second amendment's affirmation of the “right of the people to keep and bear arms” and narrows it down from there. Japanese law, however, starts with the 1958 act stating that “No person shall possess a firearm or firearms or a sword or swords,” later adding a few exceptions. In other words, American law is designed to enshrine access to guns, while Japan starts with the premise of forbidding it. The history of that is complicated, but it's worth noting that U.S. gun law has its roots in resistance to British gun restrictions, whereas some academic literature links the Japanese law to the national campaign to forcibly disarm the samurai, which may partially explain why the 1958 mentions firearms and swords side-by-side.​

Why you brought up Japan is beyond me. That is among the very last nations on the planet that anyone would cite in an effort to advocate against gun control efforts in the U.S. That you did just goes to show that you'll "cherry pick" pretty much any point, take it out of context and then try to use it to make your point. I give you props, you've learned well that trick -- contextual misrepresentation -- of the conservative gun lobby's trade.

The government taking the property of people who haven't been convicted of a crime is a flagrant violation of due process and I say that repeatedly. The War on Drugs is a Constitutional abomination and anyone who supports what they do and thinks they are a "Constitutionalist" is a liar

I give you credit for being principly consistent, at least in the specific regard noted above. That too is more than I can say for most posters on here. It may well be that you and I just have differing principles. I don't know for sure if that's totally so or just somewhat so. Even so, adhering to a given principle at all its levels of scope is to be commended.

Thank you, but as for your qualification, "at least in the specific regard noted above," I challenge you to ever find me inconsistent on that

To be honest, I don't have any recollection of much else that you've written on here. I can only remark about what I have seen and recall, and what I've seen and recall is what I remarked about.

Here you go:

What is a small government libertarian?

I say specifically what government should be allowed to do. If you see anything that you have another solution for then let me know

I'll read that at some point, but not now.

I didn't say I don't believe your assertion that you are consistent in the application of your principles. I was willing to take your word for that unless/until I see something contradicting it. I only noted that I cannot comment on what I haven't seen or on what I don't recall having seen in connection with your ID.

Truly, it's only recently that your ID has come to my notice; mostly I just respond to what folks write, regardless of who wrote it. Folks who respond to my comments by quoting them do increase the likelihood that I'll notice their ID and begin to notice the general quality (or lack thereof) of their remarks.

There are 8,000,000 rifles with detachable magazines in this Country....so far this year they have been responsible for 54 deaths.

Wait a minute...I thought a cornerstone of the gun rights position is that guns aren't responsible for anything. Per you, 54 guns are responsible for killing people.

As for gun control efforts, I personally don't support limiting access to rifles. I am, however, of the mind that however many folks are involuntarily killed or injured by gun users/abusers are "however many" folks too many.

the true cause of the deaths is the law anti gun activists created to stop mass shootings.....Gun Free zones......that law is responsible for the number of deaths that we have when these shooters, who can pass all the other gun control background checks and laws, decide to murder people......

I cannot find anything from gun control advocates stating that stopping mass shootings is the goal of Gun Free Zone laws. Can you?

Strategy
Establishing policies prohibiting the possession of guns in schools and within a set distance of school buildings helps to secure schools from gun-related violence and crime.

Crime Problem Addressed
The strategy recognizes the inherent danger of concealed firearms in the possession of gang members, drug traffickers, and fearful students. A survey by the National Centers for Disease Control and Prevention indicates that about 135,000 guns are brought into schools every day. According to the Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention, nearly 20 percent of all offenders arrested in 1991 while carrying guns were juveniles.
Even after reading a legal analysis that doesn't take kindly to the revised Gun Free Zones act, I see nothing intimating that curtailing mass shootings be the aim of that statute.

the gun free zone had 49 deaths. The Dallas shooting, where armed men were already on the scene....5 deaths.....

Red:
Presumably you are referring to the "Pulse" event? If so, are you really intimating that folks who are drinking alcohol to also should have their guns with them while doing so in a bar or other public facility? That's what it sounds like you are implying....

Blue:
And where was one of those gun carrying Texan civilians when the "Dallas shooter" started firing? I haven't seen any reports that one or some of them did anything to stop him. Clearly the man knew that Texans carry guns while going about their business on Texas' streets, but that didn't seem to deter, much less stop, him from firing away.

prosecutors and judges across the country do not take gun crimes seriously....I have posted links to this in other threads...they do not prosecute straw buyers....because it is a lot of work, and little reward for the prosecutors since many juries will not sentence a gang member baby momma or mother to years in prison when it is likely they faced physical violence if they didn't purchase the weapon...

Fine. Prosecute "straw" buyers. I don't see a problem with doing so. Are you saying that there's an active movement to absolve "straw" buyers from prosecution?

Do you think that a person under pain of harm/death for not aiding a would be criminal should be held criminally culpable for abetting said would be criminal? Would you care to be held criminally blameworthy were you, under involuntary duress, to perform a criminal deed?

In Japan, if you are arrested you face a 99% conviction rate...if you get arrested, you will go to jail. That fact was coupled with the new sentence they created for criminals caught with guns.....30 years in prison.....that sentence stopped the Yakuza from gunning up for the next war...since Japanese police can search anyone they want, at any time, for any reason....and if they found a gun on a gangster, they would be convicted and would spend 30 years in jail....

Are you suggesting that we adopt the Japanese model of jurisprudence so that our judicial and law enforcement personnel can act as do those in Japan? If you aren't, I don't see how the Japanese example is relevant.

Furthermore, how do the Japanese people's individual-level values toward killing others differ from those of Americans? Might those differences play a key role in the national attitudes towards gun violence and involuntary gun deaths/injuries?

How many people in Japan actually own guns? The answer is that comparatively speaking, "nobody."
Almost no one in Japan owns a gun. Most kinds are illegal, with onerous restrictions on buying and maintaining the few that are allowed. Even the country's infamous, mafia-like Yakuza tend to forgo guns; the few exceptions tend to become big national news stories.

Japanese tourists who fire off a few rounds at the Royal Hawaiian Shooting Club would be breaking three separate laws back in Japan—one for holding a handgun, one for possessing unlicensed bullets, and another violation for firing them -- the first of which alone is punishable by one to ten years in jail. Handguns are forbidden absolutely. Small-caliber rifles have been illegal to buy, sell, or transfer since 1971. Anyone who owned a rifle before then is allowed to keep it, but their heirs are required to turn it over to the police once the owner dies.

The only guns that Japanese citizens can legally buy and use are shotguns and air rifles, and it’s not easy to do. The process is detailed in David Kopel’s landmark study on Japanese gun control, published in the 1993 Asia Pacific Law Review, still cited as current. (Kopel, no left-wing loony, is a member of the National Rifle Association and once wrote in National Review that looser gun control laws could have stopped Adolf Hitler.)

To get a gun in Japan, first, you have to attend an all-day class and pass a written test, which are held only once per month. You also must take and pass a shooting range class. Then, head over to a hospital for a mental test and drug test (Japan is unusual in that potential gun owners must affirmatively prove their mental fitness), which you’ll file with the police. Finally, pass a rigorous background check for any criminal record or association with criminal or extremist groups, and you will be the proud new owner of your shotgun or air rifle. Just don’t forget to provide police with documentation on the specific location of the gun in your home, as well as the ammo, both of which must be locked and stored separately. And remember to have the police inspect the gun once per year and to re-take the class and exam every three years.

Even the most basic framework of Japan’s approach to gun ownership is almost the polar opposite of America’s. U.S. gun law begins with the second amendment's affirmation of the “right of the people to keep and bear arms” and narrows it down from there. Japanese law, however, starts with the 1958 act stating that “No person shall possess a firearm or firearms or a sword or swords,” later adding a few exceptions. In other words, American law is designed to enshrine access to guns, while Japan starts with the premise of forbidding it. The history of that is complicated, but it's worth noting that U.S. gun law has its roots in resistance to British gun restrictions, whereas some academic literature links the Japanese law to the national campaign to forcibly disarm the samurai, which may partially explain why the 1958 mentions firearms and swords side-by-side.​

Why you brought up Japan is beyond me. That is among the very last nations on the planet that anyone would cite in an effort to advocate against gun control efforts in the U.S. That you did just goes to show that you'll "cherry pick" pretty much any point, take it out of context and then try to use it to make your point. I give you props, you've learned well that trick -- contextual misrepresentation -- of the conservative gun lobby's trade.

Really.....

Strategy

Crime Problem Addressed

Ask the politicians.....obama makes speeches about it....he always states that mass shootings happen because of access to guns....and they passed gun free zones to help reduce mass shootings in schools...how's that working out....

Not one gun law proposed would actually target criminals. Name one gun law that doesn't effect normal gun owners while doing nothing to stop mass shooters and criminals.

The point you make has in it the implicit assumption that every would be criminal who wants to use a gun in carrying out their nefarious act(s) will get one/some. The more realistic assumption is that some of them will indeed get hold of a gun somehow and that others of them will not. To the extent that those who wanted a gun to aid in their criminal act do not in fact obtain one, a gun access limiting measure will have worked insofar as it will have prevented that would be illegal gun user from committing an act of gun violence.

How is that? 90% of the gun murders committed in the United States are committed by people who are banned from owning guns....

Reality shows you are wrong....Britain actually confiscated guns on your very premise......after they banned guns...what happened....their gun crime rate stayed the same....in fact, last year it went up 4%......

you guys are just wrong....

Strategy

Crime Problem Addressed

Red:

Blue:

Really.....

Strategy

Crime Problem Addressed

Ask the politicians.....obama makes speeches about it....he always states that mass shootings happen because of access to guns....and they passed gun free zones to help reduce mass shootings in schools...how's that working out....

References please. I showed you the respect of citing the source of those comments. Googling "gun free zone law national crime prevention council" would put the actual document from which I took those paragraphs as the first result in the list of results returned.

Strategy

Crime Problem Addressed

Red:

Blue:

Again.....nothing you believe is true or factual...

Red:

There are currently 40 states that allow people to bring guns into bars and restaurants that serve alcohol......and Virginia last year allowed people to carry guns in bars...and their gun crime rate fell by 5.9% in bars.......

Gun owners who carry guns are amazingly responsible...why is it that you guys think they will drink themselves into a mad rage when they are carrying guns?

Strategy

Crime Problem Addressed

Red:

Blue:

Blue:

The Texans with guns....the normal, law abiding gun owners....knew the police were on the scene so they let the police handle it.......they were there...armed with guns...and they let the police do their jobs, they did not turn into Rambo...they did not try to help the police........and the police pinned down the sniper and dealt with him....

In the night club...the gun free zone...there were no armed cops...the cop working security retreated and let him enter the building while the cop called for backup.....300 citizens were in that club without guns...49 were killed....

49 to 5 ....immediate armed response...to 300 unarmed citizens in a gun free zone facing a killer...who brought a gun into a gun free zone....

You need to do some research, police shoot far more white people than black each year.
Whenever I get stopped by police, I do what they tell me.

That's the main difference.

And it has been many years since.

Most recently a license plate light was burned out.

Before that the rental car OnStar malfunctioned.

Strategy

Crime Problem Addressed

Red:

Blue:

Strategy

Crime Problem Addressed

Red:

Blue:

Yes....prosecutors do not want to spend time, money and energy putting baby momma's in prison for carrying their baby daddy's gun...often under threat of violence.....

This is the problem.......

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/425452/straw-purchasing-america-needs-to-prosecute-it

Wisconsin isn’t alone in its nonchalance. California normally treats straw purchases as misdemeanors or minor infractions. Even as the people of Baltimore suffer horrific levels of violence, Maryland classifies the crime as a misdemeanor, too. Straw buying is a felony in progressive Connecticut, albeit one in the second-least-serious order of felonies. It is classified as a serious crime in Illinois (Class 2 felony), but police rarely (meaning “almost never”) go after the nephews and girlfriends with clean records who provide Chicago’s diverse and sundry gangsters with their weapons. In Delaware, it’s a Class F felony, like forging a check. In Oregon, it’s a misdemeanor.

--------

I visited Chicago a few years back to write about the city’s gang-driven murder problem, and a retired police official told me that the nature of the people making straw purchases — young relatives, girlfriends who may or may not have been facing the threat of physical violence, grandmothers, etc. — made prosecuting those cases unattractive.

In most of those cases, the authorities emphatically should put the straw purchasers in prison for as long as possible. Throw a few gangsters’ grandmothers behind bars for 20 years and see if that gets anybody’s attention. In the case of the young women suborned into breaking the law, that should be just another charge to put on the main offender.

How is that? 90% of the gun murders committed in the United States are committed by people who are banned from owning guns....

Reality shows you are wrong....Britain actually confiscated guns on your very premise......after they banned guns...what happened....their gun crime rate stayed the same....in fact, last year it went up 4%......

you guys are just wrong....

Red:
Firearms are used in about 67 percent of the murders committed in this country.

Simple arithmetic shows you are wrong.

Strategy

Crime Problem Addressed

Red:

Blue:

You don't understand the point about Japan...first, they do not have much of any crime in Japan..the culture does not tolerate the behavior....second, their police, prosecutors and judges work together to put criminals in jail.......

And finally, the Yakuza get guns when they want them.....they had a gang war in 2006 that lasted 7 years and guns and grenades were the weapons of choice......they stopped this next gang war last year...by imposing 30 year sentences on felony gun possession.....now even the bosses don't want to touch a gun.....

This is the truth about Japan....

..how the Japanese actually keep all crime, not just gun crime low...

Robbery in Japan is about as rare as murder. Japan's annual robbery rate is 1.8 per 100,000 inhabitants; America's is 205.4. Do the gun banners have the argument won when they point to these statistics? No, they don't.

A realistic examination of Japanese culture leads to the conclusion that gun control has little, if anything, to do with Japan's low crime rates.

Japan's lack of crime is more the result of the very extensive powers of the Japanese police, and the distinctive relation of the Japanese citizenry to authority. Further, none of the reasons which have made gun control succeed in Japan (in terms of disarming citizens) exist in the U.S.

The Japanese criminal justice system bears more heavily on a suspect than any other system in an industrial democratic nation. One American found this out when he was arrested in Okinawa for possessing marijuana: he was interrogated for days without an attorney, and signed a confession written in Japanese that he could not read. He met his lawyer for the first time at his trial, which took 30 minutes.

Unlike in the United States, where the Miranda rule limits coercive police interrogation techniques, Japanese police and prosecutors may detain a suspect indefinitely until he confesses. (Technically, detentions are only allowed for three days, followed by ten day extensions approved by a judge, but defense attorneys rarely oppose the extension request, for fear of offending the prosecutor.) Bail is denied if it would interfere with interrogation.

Even after interrogation is completed, pretrial detention may continue on a variety of pretexts, such as preventing the defendant from destroying evidence. Criminal defense lawyers are the only people allowed to visit a detained suspect, and those meetings are strictly limited.

Partly as a result of these coercive practices, and partly as a result of the Japanese sense of shame, the confession rate is 95%.

For those few defendants who dare to go to trial, there is no jury. Since judges almost always defer to the prosecutors' judgment, the trial conviction rate for violent crime is 99.5%.

Of those convicted, 98% receive jail time.

In short, once a Japanese suspect is apprehended, the power of the prosecutor makes it very likely the suspect will go to jail. And the power of the policeman makes it quite likely that a criminal will be apprehended.

The police routinely ask "suspicious" characters to show what is in their purse or sack. In effect, the police can search almost anyone, almost anytime, because courts only rarely exclude evidence seized by the police -- even if the police acted illegally.

The most important element of police power, though, is not authority to search, but authority in the community. Like school teachers, Japanese policemen rate high in public esteem, especially in the countryside. Community leaders and role models, the police are trained in calligraphy and Haiku composition. In police per capita, Japan far outranks all other major democracies.

15,000 koban "police boxes" are located throughout the cities. Citizens go to the 24-hour-a-day boxes not only for street directions, but to complain about day-to-day problems, such as noisy neighbors, or to ask advice on how to raise children. Some of the policemen and their families live in the boxes. Police box officers clear 74.6% of all criminal cases cleared. Police box officers also spend time teaching neighborhood youth judo or calligraphy. The officers even hand- write their own newspapers, with information about crime and accidents, "stories about good deeds by children, and opinions of
residents."

The police box system contrasts sharply with the practice in America. Here, most departments adopt a policy of "stranger policing." To prevent corruption, police are frequently rotated from one neighborhood to another. But as federal judge Charles Silberman writes, "the cure is worse than the disease, for officers develop no sense of identification with their beats, hence no emotional stake in improving the quality of life there."

Thus, the U.S. citizenry does not develop a supportive relationship with the police. One poll showed that 60% of police officers believe "it is difficult to persuade people to give patrolmen the information they need."

The Japanese police do not spend all their time in the koban boxes. As the Japanese government puts it: "Home visit is one of the most important duties of officers assigned to police boxes." Making annual visits to each home in their beat, officers keep track of who lives where, and which family member to contact in case of emergency. The police also check on all gun licensees, to make sure no gun has been stolen or misused, that the gun is securely stored, and that the licensees are emotionally stable.

Gun banners might rejoice at a society where the police keep such a sharp eye on citizens' guns. But the price is that the police keep an eye on everything.

Policemen are apt to tell people reading sexually-oriented magazines to read something more worthwhile. Japan's major official year-end police report includes statistics like "Background and Motives for Girls' Sexual Misconduct." In 1985, the police determined that 37.4% of the girls had been seduced, and the rest had had sex "voluntarily." For the volunteers, 19.6% acted "out of curiosity", while for 18.1%, the motive was "liked particular boy." The year-end police report also includes sections on labor demands, and on anti-nuclear or anti-military demonstrations.

.they were there...armed with guns...and they let the police do their jobs, they did not turn into Rambo...they did not try to help the police..[/QUOTING

Why were they there with their guns? What purpose did their guns serve? Who were they protecting themselves from? Who were they trying to intimidate?

Do you know any of those answers?

Strategy

Crime Problem Addressed

Red:

Blue:

Again.....nothing you believe is true or factual...

Red:

There are currently 40 states that allow people to bring guns into bars and restaurants that serve alcohol......and Virginia last year allowed people to carry guns in bars...and their gun crime rate fell by 5.9% in bars.......

Gun owners who carry guns are amazingly responsible...why is it that you guys think they will drink themselves into a mad rage when they are carrying guns?

I didn't ask about whether the practice is allowed. I asked if you are implying folks should carry their guns while they are drinking alcohol. Just answer the question that was asked.

Strategy

Crime Problem Addressed

Red:

Blue:

Why you brought up Japan is beyond me.

Simple....to show you that criminal control...not gun control is the key to reducing gun violence...you guys want to target normal gun owners.....that doesn't lower the gun crime rate as Britain showed.......this is how you lower the gun crime rate...even for criminals who are organized....

Yakuza Wars: Is Japan on Verge of New Wave of Gang Fighting?

According to Suzuki, contemporary mafia wars have become very different from what they used to be in the past after the government in recent years introduced very strict penalties for the use of both firearms and bladed-weapons.

-----

Nowadays, Yakuza gangs need to save their troops as even for a small-scale confrontation several of their members could get arrested. If in the past, killers would get no more than 10 years in prison and upon release they would get a high-ranking position;

now they could be facing at least 30 years behind the bars, which means a person's life is essentially over and that changed things dramatically, Suzuki said.

Furthermore, new Japanese anti-gang rules now hold Yakuza bosses responsible for crimes committed by lower-status members of a criminal syndicate, said Atsushi Mizoguchi, another expert on the Japanese crime scene.

"So the bosses will be reluctant to get into a struggle," Mizoguchi told journalists during a press conference last year in Tokyo.

Forum List

Back