A War Tax

A war tax isn't a bad idea, but I think the American people would have major problems with the reintroduction of the draft.

One problem, every American wouldn't get a bill, only the ones paying the tab now. I'm sure it looks good on paper but it never works out in real world application.

That's the case with taxes now. A war surcharge would be no different.

You first Old Fart... you tax and spend liberals, I say you asshats should step to the head of the line and start paying, then come see me.

A war tax isn't a bad idea, but I think the American people would have major problems with the reintroduction of the draft.

I think the the American people would have more than a major problem with the reintroduction of the draft. If congress was stupid enough to bring back the draft
the riots that would ensue would make the New York City draft riots pale by comparison.
I also doubt that the American people would be dumb enough to vote in a tax to fight wars that do nothing for the security of the United States.
It would make more sense for the United States to stop playing the role of the World's Policeman. If other countries want Democracy let them fight for it instead of us doing the fighting for them.

We don't declare war anymore we just invade other countries.

Most of the wars fought during our history were without a formal declaration, so that means little to this discussion.

However military action is taken, whether by formal declaration or under the War Powers Act, the point is that by requiring an automatic tax increase to pay for it, future reckless actions might be avoided and only those necessary wars fought. What it would basically do is give everybody skin the game, not just the families of our volunteer armed forces.

How do you propose getting this rule passed in the first place, and then enforcing it once it is? Very few politicians will support it, and I can't imagine they'd have any problem breaking this rule.

I never said it would be easy to pass, or even possible in today's political climate. However, since Congress IS going to address spending at some point, now would be as good a time as any to introduce it.

Just raise the tax to 100% and have the government pay salaries based on the value of the work performed to the benefit to the government.

Most of the wars fought during our history were without a formal declaration, so that means little to this discussion.

However military action is taken, whether by formal declaration or under the War Powers Act, the point is that by requiring an automatic tax increase to pay for it, future reckless actions might be avoided and only those necessary wars fought. What it would basically do is give everybody skin the game, not just the families of our volunteer armed forces.

How do you propose getting this rule passed in the first place, and then enforcing it once it is? Very few politicians will support it, and I can't imagine they'd have any problem breaking this rule.

I never said it would be easy to pass, or even possible in today's political climate. However, since Congress IS going to address spending at some point, now would be as good a time as any to introduce it.

Well I'm not sure I agree that Congress is going to address spending. Not in any realistic fashion at any rate.

How about Congress just passing a budget, as they are constitutionally required to do?

Why does every have to be an additional tax?

Forum List

Back