A Walk Down Memory Lane

I remember the first motion picture (and first TV, too) I ever saw

220px-Captain_Video_title_card.JPG

We lived in an old farmhouse in PA on a dirt road with our duck, Cotton, and our dog, Gizmo.

I remember how good McDonald's french fries used to taste...you know, when they cooked them in lard.

Remember when McDonalds was the only fast food game in town? How about trading stamps? Do y'all remember trading stamps?

Trading stamps. I bought a few things with trading stamps. Instead of gifts for opening a bank account, nowadays you can get a small gift for applying for a credit card: I see booths for these at malls sometimes.

My parents had a coach's whistle. On summer evenings, when it was time to come in, they'd blow the whistle and we'd come from wherever we were, up or down the street, even a couple of blocks away. Kids (and cats) don't get to wander these days like we used to.

I remember how good McDonald's french fries used to taste...you know, when they cooked them in lard.

Remember when McDonalds was the only fast food game in town? How about trading stamps? Do y'all remember trading stamps?

Trading stamps. I bought a few things with trading stamps. Instead of gifts for opening a bank account, nowadays you can get a small gift for applying for a credit card: I see booths for these at malls sometimes.

My parents had a coach's whistle. On summer evenings, when it was time to come in, they'd blow the whistle and we'd come from wherever we were, up or down the street, even a couple of blocks away. Kids (and cats) don't get to wander these days like we used to.

That's the truth! Saturday mornings, after chores, my parents used to boot us all outside. We had miles of woods to roam. Of course, we had no idea how far we went until one of my brothers organized a family hike/picnic for Scouts. That's when my Dad noted that we were at least five miles from home sometimes. My Mom figured out that's probably why we didn't always come when she called us.

The roadside poetry:

Ben
Met Anna
Made a Hit
Neglected Beard
Ben-anna Split
Burma Shave

She put
A bullet
Thru his hat
But he's had
Closer shaves than that
Burma-Shave

Dinah doesn't
Treat him right
But if he'd
Shave
Dyna-mite!
Burma-Shave

That's cool, TheProfessor!

From listening to parents read the signs when I was a kid:

Drinking drivers
Nothing worse
They put the quart
Before the hearse
Burma-Shave

Although insured,
Remember, kiddo:
They don't pay you
They pay the widow
Burma-Shave

Why is it when
You try to pass
The guy in front
Goes twice as fast?
Burma-Shave

Yep. My mama got my graduation gift with green stamps. It was a Sunbeam hair dryer with a boufant cap. I still have it, and it still works. :lol:

Yep. My mama got my graduation gift with green stamps. It was a Sunbeam hair dryer with a boufant cap. I still have it, and it still works. :lol:

Oh, lord. That's funny. Do you still use it? :)

I have a picture of when my mom made her, my sister and I identical dresses. And we used to get a Tony Perm once a year.

I remember when Michael Douglas was young. My older sister was addicted to "The Streets of San Francisco."

Last edited:

I have a picture of when my mom made her, my sister and I identical dresses. And we used to get a Tony Perm once a year.

I remember when Michael Douglas was young. My older sister was addicted to "The Streets of San Francisco."
Sometimes. It's hard to roll hair with fibromyalgia. You never know when you're gonna get sledge-hammered with a muscle cramp to the biceps. :lmao:

I remember "Which twin has the Toni?"

Forum List

Back